Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Group tag, more help please.
22-07-2014, 17:16
The Group tag, more help please.
Having found that using the Group tag makes playing a complete album impossible with my control point, I have removed Group from the additional item list in MinimWatch. However, the tracks are still grouped together but now appear to be sorted alphabetically by track title. Do I need to include track number in the additional item list to get the tracks back in "album order" or should I just delete all the group tags and accept in my system I will have to do without grouping. This begs the question: what tags are read and acted upon by MinimServer by default i.e. tags that do not have to be identified as an index or additional item?

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 18:01
RE: The Group tag, more help please.
(22-07-2014 17:16)beckphotonik Wrote:  Having found that using the Group tag makes playing a complete album impossible with my control point, I have removed Group from the additional item list in MinimWatch. However, the tracks are still grouped together but now appear to be sorted alphabetically by track title. Do I need to include track number in the additional item list to get the tracks back in "album order" or should I just delete all the group tags and accept in my system I will have to do without grouping. This begs the question: what tags are read and acted upon by MinimServer by default i.e. tags that do not have to be identified as an index or additional item?

Did you try BubbleUPnP? It should be able to play albums containing groups on a Chord renderer using gapless playback.

If you have removed Group from the itemTags property, this has no effect on track grouping within albums. The tracks should still be grouped together and they should be sorted by track number order, assuming that they contain TRACKNUMBER tags. This is what I see when I use the Chord app. Is this the control point you are using?

The GROUP and TRACKNUMBER tags are both processed automatically by MinimServer, irrespective of whether or not they appear in itemTags or indexTags. To prevent these tags being processed by MinimServer, you can alias them to nil by using the aliasTags property. For example, to prevent GROUP tags being processed, you can add Group:nil to aliasTags.

Here is the complete list of tags that are processed automatically by MinimServer without appearing in itemTags or indexTags:

ARTIST
ALBUMARTIST
ALBUM ARTIST
TITLE
ALBUM
GROUP
TRACKNUMBER
DISCNUMBER
DISCSUBTITLE
22-07-2014, 18:48
Thanks Simon, I do have the free Bubble UPnP on an android tablet but I am predominately an Apple user. At the last try, the only control point to seamlessly deal with gapless tracks was the Chord. Yes this sorting effect is present on the Chord control point. I shall try aliasing the Group tag to nil and see what happens.
I am determined to make this all work as I see the great potential of MinimServer, I just need to get the right setup for me. I just want to listen to music, not spend my time meddling with server setupsTongue

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
22-07-2014, 19:09
(22-07-2014 18:48)beckphotonik Wrote:  Yes this sorting effect is present on the Chord control point.

Do you mean the alphabetical sorting effect? Can you try this on BubbleUPnP to see whether you see the same sort order there? If so, this is a tagging issue with your files. If not, we can investigate other possibilities.

Quote:I shall try aliasing the Group tag to nil and see what happens.
I am determined to make this all work as I see the great potential of MinimServer, I just need to get the right setup for me. I just want to listen to music, not spend my time meddling with server setupsTongue

Yes, I understand.
22-07-2014, 19:10
Profuse apologies on this last thread. The reason for the alphabetic sort was that this download had no track number tag entries! How embarrassing!
I have aliased group to nil and that looks promising, next up is to re check bubble playing gapless tracks.

22-07-2014, 19:50
Just tried BubbleUpnp from my Nexus tablet as control point for my Chord DSX1000. Playing a Hyperion recording of Bantock's Celtic Symphony, a continuous piece of music with track markers embedded within it. The set up does NOT play gapless, using the Chord control point all is fine.
I will persevere with the Chord control point, I am pretty close to what I want from the system, certainly a vast improvement over the Synology media server.
Thanks for your help.

22-07-2014, 20:04
(22-07-2014 19:50)beckphotonik Wrote:  Just tried BubbleUpnp from my Nexus tablet as control point for my Chord DSX1000. Playing a Hyperion recording of Bantock's Celtic Symphony, a continuous piece of music with track markers embedded within it. The set up does NOT play gapless, using the Chord control point all is fine.
I will persevere with the Chord control point, I am pretty close to what I want from the system, certainly a vast improvement over the Synology media server.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks for this information. I don't understand why this is working for me but not for you. What do you see if you do the following?

1) Open BubbleUPnP and select the Devices tab
2) Long-click the entry for the Chord (if using BubbleUPnP 1.x) or click the three dots to the right of the Chord entry (if using BubbleUPnP 2.x)
3) Select Info and scroll down to 'Gapless playback'

Does it say 'Supported', 'Unsupported' or "Potentially supported'?
22-07-2014, 20:45
(22-07-2014 20:04)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 19:50)beckphotonik Wrote:  Just tried BubbleUpnp from my Nexus tablet as control point for my Chord DSX1000. Playing a Hyperion recording of Bantock's Celtic Symphony, a continuous piece of music with track markers embedded within it. The set up does NOT play gapless, using the Chord control point all is fine.
Thanks for your help.

Thanks for this information. I don't understand why this is working for me but not for you. What do you see if you do the following?

1) Open BubbleUPnP and select the Devices tab
2) Long-click the entry for the Chord (if using BubbleUPnP 1.x) or click the three dots to the right of the Chord entry (if using BubbleUPnP 2.x)
3) Select Info and scroll down to 'Gapless playback'

Does it say 'Supported', 'Unsupported' or "Potentially supported'?
Potentially supported.

22-07-2014, 20:58
(22-07-2014 20:45)beckphotonik Wrote:  Potentially supported.

Thanks! It is the same here for the CodeX.

How long are the gaps? What file format (e.g., FLAC, ALAC, MP3, AIFF, WAV) is this album?
22-07-2014, 21:00 (This post was last modified: 22-07-2014 21:02 by beckphotonik.)
(22-07-2014 20:58)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 20:45)beckphotonik Wrote:  Potentially supported.

Thanks! It is the same here for the CodeX.

How long are the gaps? What file format (e.g., FLAC, ALAC, MP3, AIFF, WAV) is this album?

Gaps are a second or less, format is FLAC.
I have just found a check box on the BubbleUpnp regarding gapless. Info recommended unchecking if there were problems. I have done that and will have another listen tomorrow.