Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Naim Uniti 2 and mac mini - tracks appear multiple times
17-04-2014, 13:11
Question Naim Uniti 2 and mac mini - tracks appear multiple times
Hello

I am a new Minim user and have recently installed it on a macmini to stream music from an itunes library to a Naim Uniti 2 through a wired ethernet connection.

Minim was recommended by my Hi Fi shop. I previously had 2 years plus frustration with Elgato which kept needing to be re-installed and restarted. I had practically given up streaming and was evaluating music players such as Amarra.

Minim seems stable and reliable so so far so good but there is a strange feature which is probably the result of my omitting some step.

When I select on my Naim by artist multiple listings of each album or song appear in the little Uniti window. For example, I select ALT (the artist) and then the single track I have which is Mandala. This appears 19 times although only one song is in the library! It will keep playing until I select something else.

Has anyone experienced similar and can advise how to correct this?

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2014, 15:32
RE: Naim Uniti 2 and mac mini - tracks appear multiple times
(17-04-2014 13:11)Rob Lancaster Wrote:  Hello

I am a new Minim user and have recently installed it on a macmini to stream music from an itunes library to a Naim Uniti 2 through a wired ethernet connection.

Minim was recommended by my Hi Fi shop. I previously had 2 years plus frustration with Elgato which kept needing to be re-installed and restarted. I had practically given up streaming and was evaluating music players such as Amarra.

Minim seems stable and reliable so so far so good but there is a strange feature which is probably the result of my omitting some step.

When I select on my Naim by artist multiple listings of each album or song appear in the little Uniti window. For example, I select ALT (the artist) and then the single track I have which is Mandala. This appears 19 times although only one song is in the library! It will keep playing until I select something else.

Has anyone experienced similar and can advise how to correct this?

Cheers

I think this is because the Intelligent Browsing feature of MinimServer allows an album or song to be found using multiple browsing paths. If you select an artist for playing (rather than selecting an album or song), the control point is recursively browsing all paths from that artist and is adding duplicate entries to the playlist for everything it finds. The solution is to select a song or album for playing instead of selecting an artist for playing.

Does this fit with the behaviour that you are observing?
23-04-2014, 18:19
Hello Simon thanks for response. However I look for music, it is showing multiple duplicates - often 19 for some reason! So, if I look for albums I see many of the same.

It also occurs when using n-stream on the ipad. I am able to create playlists using n-stream in the right way. It's an oddity and a bit time consuming rather than a showstopper.

Rob
23-04-2014, 19:12 (This post was last modified: 23-04-2014 19:14 by simoncn.)
(23-04-2014 18:19)Rob Lancaster Wrote:  Hello Simon thanks for response. However I look for music, it is showing multiple duplicates - often 19 for some reason! So, if I look for albums I see many of the same.

It also occurs when using n-stream on the ipad. I am able to create playlists using n-stream in the right way. It's an oddity and a bit time consuming rather than a showstopper.

Rob

I'd like to understand this better. Can you give more details of what you are doing when you look for music (e.g., an example step-by-step scenario) and post some screenshots? I haven't had any reports from other Naim users about this issue, so I suspect there is a way to select music using n-Stream that doesn't cause this problem.
25-04-2014, 19:04
It might be worth clearing both the image and UPNP caches in n-stream and trying again (assuming you are using this as a control point).

I haven't experienced this at all either on my unitiqute itself or on n-stream

I'm not a mac mini user, so can't help on that side of things I'm afraid

Nick
28-04-2014, 14:56
(23-04-2014 19:12)simoncn Wrote:  
(23-04-2014 18:19)Rob Lancaster Wrote:  Hello Simon thanks for response. However I look for music, it is showing multiple duplicates - often 19 for some reason! So, if I look for albums I see many of the same.

Rob

I'd like to understand this better. Can you give more details of what you are doing when you look for music (e.g., an example step-by-step scenario) and post some screenshots? I haven't had any reports from other Naim users about this issue, so I suspect there is a way to select music using n-Stream that doesn't cause this problem.

Hello Simon

I had wondered if it was something to do with how I had installed Minim so I tried to uninstall and reinstall. I think I have omitted something and now the little music symbol in the menu bar shows red (both on my original i Mac with minim watch and on my mac mini with minim server) when I click on it a message emerges saying "can't run multiple options on the same configuration file".

Meanwhile, a bit more detail about what was happenning.

I don't see this at the moment because whatever I have done has stopped it working.

I selected upnp on the front of my Naim Uniti by selecting the input button.
It showed minim server

On selection of this I saw
Artist 10,000
Titles 90,000
Albums.....

On selection of titles, this is where I saw multiple versions of the same albums, then on selection of the album multiple versions of the same track.

When I select the track it shows multiple versions. On selection of the track it played OK but then repeated the same track.

Thanks Rob
28-04-2014, 15:35
(28-04-2014 14:56)Rob Lancaster Wrote:  Hello Simon

I had wondered if it was something to do with how I had installed Minim so I tried to uninstall and reinstall. I think I have omitted something and now the little music symbol in the menu bar shows red (both on my original i Mac with minim watch and on my mac mini with minim server) when I click on it a message emerges saying "can't run multiple options on the same configuration file".

This message means you have tried to run more than once instance of MinimServer at the same time. If you select Exit from the instance that is showing a red minim icon, there should be another instance that is running normally and is showing a transparent minim icon.

Quote:Meanwhile, a bit more detail about what was happenning.

I don't see this at the moment because whatever I have done has stopped it working.

It showed minim server

Artist 10,000
Titles 90,000
Albums.....

On selection of titles, this is where I saw multiple versions of the same albums, then on selection of the album multiple versions of the same track.

When I select the track it shows multiple versions. On selection of the track it played OK but then repeated the same track.

Thanks Rob

It sounds like you have added Title (and possibly Album) to indexTags. This might be the cause of the problem. Please try removing both of these and then restarting MinimServer to see if it makes a difference.

On the Mac, uninstalling and reinstalling MinimServer doesn't reset your configuration settings, so any problems with these settings will persist across an uninstall and reinstall.
01-05-2014, 13:55
(28-04-2014 15:35)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-04-2014 14:56)Rob Lancaster Wrote:  Hello Simon

This message means you have tried to run more than once instance of MinimServer at the same time. If you select Exit from the instance that is showing a red minim icon, there should be another instance that is running normally and is showing a transparent minim icon.

Quote:Meanwhile, a bit more detail about what was happenning.

It showed minim server

Artist 10,000
Titles 90,000
Albums.....

Thanks Rob

It sounds like you have added Title (and possibly Album) to indexTags. This might be the cause of the problem. Please try removing both of these and then restarting MinimServer to see if it makes a difference.

On the Mac, uninstalling and reinstalling MinimServer doesn't reset your configuration settings, so any problems with these settings will persist across an uninstall and reinstall.
Hi Simon
I got it working again so that's progress. Thanks. Re the multiple items, I checked the properties/server and it shows the following:

Index tags; Artist, date, Genre, All Artisits, Composer, Conductor, Orchestra
Item tags is blank
List view is blank
merge Folder albums: false
tag options: Album, sortTags + (Album, Artist)

Does that need to be changed at all?

Thank you Rob
01-05-2014, 15:26
(01-05-2014 13:55)Rob Lancaster Wrote:  Hi Simon
I got it working again so that's progress. Thanks. Re the multiple items, I checked the properties/server and it shows the following:

Item tags is blank
List view is blank

Thank you Rob

These settings are OK.

It's possible that you might have multiple versions of your albums that are being scanned by MinimServer (for example, backup versions or files in the recycle bin). You might need to change your contentDir setting to ensure that only the files in your main library are being scanned. What is your current setting for contentDir?

If this isn't the problem, please try a different UPnP control point on your iPad such as Linn Kinsky (free). Do you see the same duplication in Kinsky?
01-05-2014, 19:10
(01-05-2014 15:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(01-05-2014 13:55)Rob Lancaster Wrote:  Hi Simon

Item tags is blank
List view is blank

Thank you Rob

These settings are OK.

It's possible that you might have multiple versions of your albums that are being scanned by MinimServer (for example, backup versions or files in the recycle bin). You might need to change your contentDir setting to ensure that only the files in your main library are being scanned. What is your current setting for contentDir?

If this isn't the problem, please try a different UPnP control point on your iPad such as Linn Kinsky (free). Do you see the same duplication in Kinsky?

The contentDir says /Users/Rob/Library

Should I change that? I don't recall entering that. I think it picked it up automatically.

I did try Linn Kinsky and it behaves in the same way each track appears 22 times. It's mostly 22 times whatever the track is.

Cheers Rob