Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAIM Unity
12-04-2014, 13:19
NAIM Unity
I would like to start a thread for NAIM Unity users. This little box (Unity Lite) had simply revolutionised my music listening and Minim works beautifully with it. When I purchased my NAIM I also upgraded my speakers to KEF R700s and this is a combination made in heaven and costs less than the last turntable (no arm!) I bought. With 24bit recordings it sounds especially gorgeous, playing some Pinkuoizu (a Danish psychdelic band) it was frightening at times but it also exhibits beautifully delicacy on chamber music for example.
I am also using FooBar, which I use as a test rig. I make changes to Minim and use FooBar to monitor these - all on my PC. I am not an Apple fanboy btw - having just retired as a software developer mainly in the City of London, so Banks, Insurance companies and the like. These sort of companies are virtually 100% PC and therefor so was I.

Mp3Tag (does FLAC as well) for not surprisingly tagging. This is a Jekyl and Hyde product. It is brilliant in that it lets you multiple tagging, which I will explain later but it is too easy to mess things up in it. Hit the cursor-down key while editing and you loose your changes. Accidentally hit the mouse wheel and you could blank everything which forces you to do an undo (Ctrl-z as usual). Unfortunately the results on the undo are unpredictable - it goes back further than the last save quite often. But overall and until I write smething myself it does a job.

Multiple tagging means that various tags can have more trhan one value, so if I have the following in the 'Composer' tag:
Bailey Rae, Corinne\\Bowkett, Rod
I will see Bailey Rae, Corinne and Bowkett, Rod listed as separate composers, each with their own entry. Good Eh?

Anyway come on all NAIM users lets get it on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2014, 17:47
RE: NAIM Unity
As a Linn user, I feel a bit like an interloper here. But there is one point on which I may be able to help.

(12-04-2014 13:19)mccormw Wrote:  Mp3Tag (does FLAC as well) for not surprisingly tagging. This is a Jekyl and Hyde product. It is brilliant in that it lets you multiple tagging, which I will explain later but it is too easy to mess things up in it. Hit the cursor-down key while editing and you loose your changes. Accidentally hit the mouse wheel and you could blank everything which forces you to do an undo (Ctrl-z as usual). Unfortunately the results on the undo are unpredictable - it goes back further than the last save quite often. But overall and until I write something myself it does a job.

I too had exactly these problems with MP3Tag. Then in the dialog Options/Tags, I found the check box "Save tags when using arrow-keys/single mouse click". When ticked, this option enables automatic saving of entered data when the file loses the focus (it works when data has been entered in multiple files as well).

As well as ticking this option, in the Messages options dialog, I have unticked the option to have a message appear after a save or a change. This means I can move smoothly from file to file in the grid without being interrupted when my changes are automatically saved.

These settings reduced my irritation with MP3Tag more than somewhat. I cannot understand why they are not the defaults.

Good luck with the thread. I was very interested in the UnitiQute at one point, but Naim still don't have an Android control point ...

David
17-04-2014, 22:53
Hi David,

I have also set that option in mp3tags and it helps a lot but it is still a pain to drive. It's a shame it's so useful.

Yup I intended to buy the Unitiqute but I made the mistake of asking to listen to the Unitylite and it was far superior for a little more wonga, so I dared the wrath of the mem sahib and went for it. It partners the Kef R700s brilliantly.

Any suggestions on a good pair of cans? B&W P7s anyone?

Bill
26-05-2014, 08:41
Well . B&W should not be your first choice. Neither KEF.Sorry. Look and listen too Neat, Harbeth, Wilson Benesch. I got my Nait xs paired with Harbeth speakers. Magic. Sheer Magic.
13-08-2014, 15:36 (This post was last modified: 13-08-2014 18:34 by rhoering.)
I also have a Naim streamer [NDX]. Love the sound.

Unfortunately Kinsky does not work well with it as a control point.

I have tried BubbleUPnP to 'wrap' the NDX and it seemed to work better.

Ron
13-08-2014, 15:44
(17-04-2014 22:53)mccormw Wrote:  Hi David,

I have also set that option in mp3tags and it helps a lot but it is still a pain to drive. It's a shame it's so useful.

Yup I intended to buy the Unitiqute but I made the mistake of asking to listen to the Unitylite and it was far superior for a little more wonga, so I dared the wrath of the mem sahib and went for it. It partners the Kef R700s brilliantly.

Any suggestions on a good pair of cans? B&W P7s anyone?

Bill

If you have not gotten headphones I have a pair of AKG K702 [anniversary] and the new thinksound On1 I really like. For earbuds I have a pair of Klipsch that also work with the iPhone.

YMMV
13-08-2014, 19:45
(13-08-2014 15:36)rhoering Wrote:  I also have a Naim streamer [NDX]. Love the sound.

Unfortunately Kinsky does not work well with it as a control point.

I have tried BubbleUPnP to 'wrap' the NDX and it seemed to work better.

Ron

Using BubbleUPnP Server (not the BubbleUPnP control point) to create a "wrapped" OpenHome renderer seems to be the only way to make Kinsky work properly with non-OpenHome UPnP AV renderers.
17-10-2014, 13:38
Got the P7s and they are brilliant. Got to listen to a whole range of cans but for me the B&Ws were best for clasical - which is what I listen to most.