Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let me get my head around DoP..
04-04-2014, 07:37 (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 07:39 by wappinghigh.)
Let me get my head around DoP..
Ok. Just before I launch out and get in line and order an Olive One, can I just confirm the following set up?

My Invicta Dac now accepts DoP DSD via SPDIF in. Tick>

The Olive One should see MinimServer as a uPnP server. Tick>

MinimServer should be able to serve up DSD files in the DoP WAV "container". Tick>

The Olive One should be able to stream these WAV files givin it is spec'd up to 24/192. Tick???

The DSD within these wav files should just play out fine via the Invicta because it is now DoP complicant. Tick??

Have I got my thinking straight here?

Am I going to finally be able to stream and hear stereo DSD this way via the Invicta> Tick???

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 17:49
RE: Let me get my head around DoP..
(04-04-2014 07:37)wappinghigh Wrote:  Ok. Just before I launch out and get in line and order an Olive One, can I just confirm the following set up?

My Invicta Dac now accepts DoP DSD via SPDIF in. Tick>

The Olive One should see MinimServer as a uPnP server. Tick>

MinimServer should be able to serve up DSD files in the DoP WAV "container". Tick>

The Olive One should be able to stream these WAV files givin it is spec'd up to 24/192. Tick???

The DSD within these wav files should just play out fine via the Invicta because it is now DoP complicant. Tick??

Have I got my thinking straight here?

Am I going to finally be able to stream and hear stereo DSD this way via the Invicta> Tick???

Thanks

1) The specs for the Olive ONE say that it can play through USB to supported DACs only. Have you checked with Olive that this includes the Invicta?

2) I didn't see anything in the Olive ONE specs saying that it can stream 24-bit 176.4 kHz WAV files. This support is required for DoP streaming.

3) You should confirm with Olive that the Olive ONE is compatible with MinimServer. The chances of this are high, but interoperability problems between different UPnP devices are not unknown.

4) You should also confirm with Olive that the Olive ONE will pass through WAV files to the USB DAC output unchanged without doing any processing.

If 1) 2) 3) and 4) are all true, you should be able to play WAV files with DoP content to the Invicta using the Olive ONE. The Olive ONE won't be aware that these WAV files have DSD content, but the Invicta should be aware of this and should decode and play the DSD content correctly. It would be advisable to confirm with Olive that they don't foresee any problems with this scenario.
05-04-2014, 22:30 (This post was last modified: 05-04-2014 22:36 by wappinghigh.)
Olive One specs:

Audio Out: Digital out (Coax, RCA)
Digital Audio Input: DLNA/UPnP

It has been confirmed it will play UPnP sources out via that digital S/PDIF:

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-...taneously-

(Just not in a multiroom situation...which is fair enough)

Supported Audio Formats: WAV
Burr Brown PCM5142 32/384kHz DAC
It's all over the Squeeze forums that it should support up to 24/192
Runs Linux OS

So this product looks potentially extremely exciting to be able to do this???
06-04-2014, 09:43
(05-04-2014 22:30)wappinghigh Wrote:  Olive One specs:

Audio Out: Digital out (Coax, RCA)
Digital Audio Input: DLNA/UPnP

It has been confirmed it will play UPnP sources out via that digital S/PDIF:

https://olivemediainc.zendesk.com/hc/en-...taneously-

I don't see this as stating that it will pass through the original WAV input signal including any DoP content. This is likely, but I would advise you to get positive confirmation by talking to Olive.

Quote:(Just not in a multiroom situation...which is fair enough)

Supported Audio Formats: WAV
Burr Brown PCM5142 32/384kHz DAC
It's all over the Squeeze forums that it should support up to 24/192
Runs Linux OS

So this product looks potentially extremely exciting to be able to do this???

I agree that it has potential. To be sure it will do everything you want, you would need to talk to an Olive technical person about your scenario. Alternatively, you could buy it from someone who is willing to accept a return if it doesn't do what you need.