Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minimServer and QNAP 219II problem
24-09-2012, 04:37
minimServer and QNAP 219II problem
a friend bought a QNAP 219II. Then install JAVA and minimServer. It seems ok on QNAP web admin. But Kinsky on iPad and minimWatch on PC can not see the minimServer.

On the other hand, the buildin Twonky and installed Squeezebox server work fine on the network.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2012, 05:27
RE: minimServer and QNAP 219II problem
although the screen capture shows the Java as "(supports only x86-based NAS)", the friend said the actual java file he got from Oracle and put under Public folder is "ejre-7u6-fcs-b24-linux-arm-vfp-client_headless-10_aug_2012.tar".

And I think if the java version is wrong then both java and minimServer icon shouldn't in normal "enabled" status in qnap web admin...
24-09-2012, 10:09 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 10:29 by simoncn.)
(24-09-2012 05:27)psme Wrote:  although the screen capture shows the Java as "(supports only x86-based NAS)", the friend said the actual java file he got from Oracle and put under Public folder is "ejre-7u6-fcs-b24-linux-arm-vfp-client_headless-10_aug_2012.tar".

And I think if the java version is wrong then both java and minimServer icon shouldn't in normal "enabled" status in qnap web admin...

Edit: My original response was incorrect. Please see the following response for the correct information.
24-09-2012, 10:27
(24-09-2012 05:27)psme Wrote:  although the screen capture shows the Java as "(supports only x86-based NAS)", the friend said the actual java file he got from Oracle and put under Public folder is "ejre-7u6-fcs-b24-linux-arm-vfp-client_headless-10_aug_2012.tar".

Please ignore my previous response. It looks like the wrong JRE QPKG has been installed. You need to install Java using the JRE installer QPKG that's linked from step 5 in the "Installing Java" section of the QNAP installation page. This is shown in the attached screenshot.

The correct version of the JRE QPKG (7, AdNovea, QNAPAndy - Updated by Cristian) looks for the JRE as a .tar.gz file in the /share/Public directory. The JRE 6.0.22 QPKG that's currently installed is the official QNAP version of the JRE QPKG which contains an x86 version of Java.

To fix this problem, uninstall MinimServer and uninstall the JRE. Then install the correct JRE QPKG and reinstall MinimServer.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

24-09-2012, 10:45
(24-09-2012 05:27)psme Wrote:  And I think if the java version is wrong then both java and minimServer icon shouldn't in normal "enabled" status in qnap web admin...

I agree that the QNAP x86 JRE QPKG should check if it's been installed on an ARM NAS and not allow itself to be enabled. It appears that QNAP took the easy option by displaying the "x86 only" message instead of doing that.

The MinimServer QPKG has a dependency on the JRE QPKG. Therefore the QNAP package manager will allow MinimServer to be installed and enabled even if the wrong JRE QPKG was installed.

The MinimServer startup script currently checks that the java executable is present in the expected location. If this isn't found, the MinimServer package is marked as disabled and an error message is written to the system log. I should be able to extend this check to also verify that the java executable is a compatible version of Java (ARM or x86). This would prevent MinimServer from showing as enabled in the QPKG Center when an incompatible version of Java has been installed.
24-09-2012, 15:38
I just tried to get the java file from Oracle. There are many versions and I got this:
ejre-7u6-fcs-b24-linux-arm-sflt-headless-10_aug_2012.tar.gz

but my friend got this file:
ejre-1_6_0_34-fcs-b04-linux-arm-sflt-eabi-headless-19_jul_2012.tar.gz

I guess my friend got the wong java file. And it seems it's quite hard for non technical user to do this...
24-09-2012, 16:03
(24-09-2012 15:38)psme Wrote:  I just tried to get the java file from Oracle. There are many versions and I got this:
ejre-7u6-fcs-b24-linux-arm-sflt-headless-10_aug_2012.tar.gz

but my friend got this file:
ejre-1_6_0_34-fcs-b04-linux-arm-sflt-eabi-headless-19_jul_2012.tar.gz

I guess my friend got the wong java file. And it seems it's quite hard for non technical user to do this...

Both these files are fine. As it says in step 1 of the installation instructions for Java:

1. Go to the Java SE for Embedded Download page on Oracle's website at this link. You can download either Java SE for Embedded 6 or Java SE for Embedded 7. In either case, the version you need is "ARMv5 Linux - Headless EABI, SoftFP, Little Endian".

The problem is that your friend downloaded the wrong JRE QPKG. As it says in step 5 of the installation instructions for Java:

5. Download the ARM JRE installer QPKG from this link or this link. The downloaded file is named JRE_7.zip. Unzip this file to extract the JRE_7.qpkg file that it contains. Although the name of this QPKG suggests that it's specifically for JRE 7, it works with either the JRE 6 or JRE 7 version of the .tar.gz file.

Instead of using the links listed there, your friend downloaded an x86 JRE QPKG from the QNAP website. This incorrect QPKG contains a full copy of the x86 Java code. The correct QPKG doesn't contain any Java code, but installs whatever version of the Java code it finds in the /share/Public directory.
25-09-2012, 04:10
I don't think my friend got the wrong JRE_7.zip. He followed minimServer install guide and got the JRE_7.zip from the guide link. There is only 1 JRE_7.zip to download. It can't be wrong!

He said that when the first time he installed Java on QNAP, there is NO description of the Java component on QNAP web admin. Then for some reason he clicked the "Update" button on that page. Then the description became "(supports only x86-based NAS)".

Then even he removed Java, and reinstall Java, there is always this description "(supports only x86-based NAS)" without click the "update" button!

Last night he re-downloaded both Java tar.gz, JRE_7.zip, and minimServer for QNAP, remove/un-install everything and re-install. Java installed fine, but this time minimServer wouldn't be "enabled", so he think maybe minimServer is updated to detect if there is a correct Java version installed.

Then I finally figured out his Java tar.gz is wrong. And gave him the correct Java tar.gz. Then using the same JRE_7.zip and minimServer, all is working now! Smile

But, in QNAP web admin page, there is still this description "(supports only x86-based NAS)" on the Java component!

Anyway, all is fine now! Thanks again for the help! Smile
25-09-2012, 15:19
(25-09-2012 04:10)psme Wrote:  I don't think my friend got the wrong JRE_7.zip. He followed minimServer install guide and got the JRE_7.zip from the guide link. There is only 1 JRE_7.zip to download. It can't be wrong!

He said that when the first time he installed Java on QNAP, there is NO description of the Java component on QNAP web admin. Then for some reason he clicked the "Update" button on that page. Then the description became "(supports only x86-based NAS)".

Then even he removed Java, and reinstall Java, there is always this description "(supports only x86-based NAS)" without click the "update" button!

Last night he re-downloaded both Java tar.gz, JRE_7.zip, and minimServer for QNAP, remove/un-install everything and re-install. Java installed fine, but this time minimServer wouldn't be "enabled", so he think maybe minimServer is updated to detect if there is a correct Java version installed.

Then I finally figured out his Java tar.gz is wrong. And gave him the correct Java tar.gz. Then using the same JRE_7.zip and minimServer, all is working now! Smile

But, in QNAP web admin page, there is still this description "(supports only x86-based NAS)" on the Java component!

Anyway, all is fine now! Thanks again for the help! Smile

The incorrect and confusing message about x86-based NAS is produced by the QNAP package manager based on the name of the QPKG. I think it happens because the JRE_7.zip package has the name "JRE" which is unfortunately the same name as the official QNAP x86 6.0.22 JRE QPKG.

This could also explain why the wrong QPKG was installed when your friend clicked on Update.

Which firmware version is your friend using? I'd like to try to reproduce this problem myself so that I can update the installation instructions to warn people about this.

I'm sorry about all the confusion over this, and I'm glad the problem is resolved now.