Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Unknown" Album Artist
12-02-2012, 17:13
"Unknown" Album Artist
Hi!
First of all, thanks so much for your great effort in writing this server program!
I love it a lot already as I have tried so many different servers and this one already look promising and easy/fast to use!
However, I have problems regarding some albums as they are grouped into "Unknown" and not the Album Artist I tagged.
I use a mac mini and iTunes to manage my music library and run minimserver mac version (thanks for the effort again!), with "Tuneup" (another software) to help me to do the tagging jobs.
I double checked that those albums are tagged with my desired "Album Artist" but still they are grouped to "Unknown" under album artist view in Kinsky iPad.
May I know what are the possible causes such that I can fix the problem and enjoy the use of minimserver even more?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2012, 19:43
RE: "Unknown" Album Artist
(12-02-2012 17:13)tylerdurden Wrote:  Hi!
First of all, thanks so much for your great effort in writing this server program!
I love it a lot already as I have tried so many different servers and this one already look promising and easy/fast to use!
However, I have problems regarding some albums as they are grouped into "Unknown" and not the Album Artist I tagged.
I use a mac mini and iTunes to manage my music library and run minimserver mac version (thanks for the effort again!), with "Tuneup" (another software) to help me to do the tagging jobs.
I double checked that those albums are tagged with my desired "Album Artist" but still they are grouped to "Unknown" under album artist view in Kinsky iPad.
May I know what are the possible causes such that I can fix the problem and enjoy the use of minimserver even more?

Thanks for your kind words!

This problem is probably caused by a conflict in your AlbumArtist or Album Artist tag settings. You can find out if there is a conflict by looking at the minimserver.log file, which is in the top-level directory of the MinimServer 0.21 application package. To see this file, open the Applications folder in Finder, select MinimServer 0.21, then choose Show Package Contents from the Task menu. You can open minimserver.log with Console or TextEdit to view it.

In this log file you might see messages that look like the following:

Warning: conflicting ALBUMARTIST tags ignored for album <albumTitle>
conflicting values: <value1>, <value2>

This is telling you that one or more of the tracks for album <albumTitle> has an AlbumArtist (or Album Artist) tag of <value1>, and another track on the same album has an AlbumArtist (or Album Artist) tag of <value2>. When there is a conflict like this, MinimServer ignores the AlbumArtist (or Album Artist) tags for the album and puts it in the [unknown] section.

This problem is usually caused by an AlbumArtist tag being set to one value and an Album Artist tag being set to another value. MinimServer treats AlbumArtist and Album Artist tags as equivalent, which can cause conflicts if you have a mixture of these tags. Some tag editors only show AlbumArtist values and don't show Album Artist values, which can make it hard to see what's causing the conflict.
13-02-2012, 06:21
Thanks for the prompt reply Simon.

I will definitely look into the log file and check. I know it is out of your scope totally but do you know any Mac based tag editor I can use to see both "AlbumArtist" and "Album Artist" tag? I use iTunes and Tuneup for tagging and they are not the best tool for sure...

Moreover, I am wondering why other server programs (like Asset) can see these album artists properly. Is it possible in the future that minimserver add an option for users to select whether "AlbumArtist" or "AlbumArtist" tage should be used for looking as album artist? Sorry that I know I am asking too much....... but I really hope you can keep improving as minimserver is by far the most ideal server program for me, I would not hesitate to pay or donate if you can keep up the good work.
13-02-2012, 10:07
(13-02-2012 06:21)tylerdurden Wrote:  Thanks for the prompt reply Simon.

I will definitely look into the log file and check. I know it is out of your scope totally but do you know any Mac based tag editor I can use to see both "AlbumArtist" and "Album Artist" tag? I use iTunes and Tuneup for tagging and they are not the best tool for sure...

I don't use a Mac myself, so I have no experience with Mac tag editors. Without knowing more about what what the problem is, it's hard for me to make a suggestion for a tool that will fix it. The first step is to look at the log and confirm that this conflict is the cause of the problem. If it is, then you could run another test in MinimServer to get more details about the conflict. To do this, use the Properties window to set the property writeAllTags to a filename (for example, allTags.log), then restart MinimServer. This will create an allTags.log file containing a complete list of all tags in your files, and you can page down to the ALBUMARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST sections to see exactly what values you have for these tags. By comparing this information with the log output, you should be able to discover the exact cause of the conflict.

Quote:Moreover, I am wondering why other server programs (like Asset) can see these album artists properly.

It's hard for me to give a definite answer to this question without knowing exactly what the problem is. My guess is that other servers might do one of the following:
1) Only look at ALBUMARTIST tags and ignore ALBUM ARTIST tags.
2) Only look at ALBUM ARTIST tags and ignore ALBUMARTIST tags.
3) Use the first album artist value that they find on any of the tracks, and not look for conflicting values on other tracks.

Quote: Is it possible in the future that minimserver add an option for users to select whether "AlbumArtist" or "AlbumArtist" tage should be used for looking as album artist? Sorry that I know I am asking too much....... but I really hope you can keep improving as minimserver is by far the most ideal server program for me, I would not hesitate to pay or donate if you can keep up the good work.

At the moment I think the best approach is for MinimServer to make it easy to find and fix these conflicts, rather than adding options for people to work around the problem without fixing it. If you can post the results of your investigation here, that will help me to understand the problem better and think about the best way to solve it.
13-02-2012, 11:30
(13-02-2012 06:21)tylerdurden Wrote:  Thanks for the prompt reply Simon.

Moreover, I am wondering why other server programs (like Asset) can see these album artists properly. Is it possible in the future that minimserver add an option for users to select whether "AlbumArtist" or "AlbumArtist" tage should be used for looking as album artist? Sorry that I know I am asking too much....... but I really hope you can keep improving as minimserver is by far the most ideal server program for me, I would not hesitate to pay or donate if you can keep up the good work.

Hi if you want a comprehensive Mac tagger, the only one I know is Jaikoz. It is highly effective, but you need to learn it.
13-02-2012, 17:07
Thanks a lot for the reply. But after looking into minimserver.log, I can't find such kind of warning as you mentioned. Instead, it is a really small size file which don't have a lot of info...

I tried to use writeAllTags as well but the output file is really problematic as most of my song tags are in Chinese which only some unicodes are shown. I really hope I can upload the files to here but I don't know how....

Any other reasons / ways I can look into my Unknown album artist problem? Thanks again!

@DaveWr, thanks for the suggestion but Jaikoz can't tag AIFF....
13-02-2012, 20:19
(13-02-2012 17:07)tylerdurden Wrote:  Thanks a lot for the reply. But after looking into minimserver.log, I can't find such kind of warning as you mentioned. Instead, it is a really small size file which don't have a lot of info...

I tried to use writeAllTags as well but the output file is really problematic as most of my song tags are in Chinese which only some unicodes are shown. I really hope I can upload the files to here but I don't know how....

Any other reasons / ways I can look into my Unknown album artist problem? Thanks again!

@DaveWr, thanks for the suggestion but Jaikoz can't tag AIFF....

I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with this. I've sent you a PM with suggestions for the next steps in debugging the problem.
10-03-2012, 02:34
Just want to say I am disappointed with the new release (0.3) as Album Artist become not really useful......

it is showing even much less Album Artist for my collection with this new release (more go to unknown)....
10-03-2012, 12:20
(10-03-2012 02:34)tylerdurden Wrote:  Just want to say I am disappointed with the new release (0.3) as Album Artist become not really useful......

it is showing even much less Album Artist for my collection with this new release (more go to unknown)....

In 0.30, the Artist index contains a mixture of AlbumArtist tag information (for albums with an AlbumArtist tag) and Artist information (for albums without an AlbumArtist tag). The Artist index should give you what you want, with nothing under "unknown".

The reason you're seeing "unknown" albums in the AlbumArtist index is that these albums aren't tagged with AlbumArtist information. You could add this tag information to your albums, but a better solution is to use the Artist index instead.