QNAP (TS-212P)
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synology or QNAP
23-03-2014, 09:59
Synology or QNAP
Hi all,
I am choosing a NAS for my Linn DS player. I need something reliable, quiet, inexpensive and most of all - that supports MinimServer. My choices are: SYNOLOGY DS213j (I slightly prefer this) or QNAP TS-212P.

The question is: which is better for the MiniServer?

Regards,
Adam
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-03-2014, 10:36
RE: Synology or QNAP
(23-03-2014 09:59)AdamWysokinski Wrote:  Hi all,
I am choosing a NAS for my Linn DS player. I need something reliable, quiet, inexpensive and most of all - that supports MinimServer. My choices are: SYNOLOGY DS213j (I slightly prefer this) or QNAP TS-212P.

The question is: which is better for the MiniServer?

Regards,
Adam

There shouldn't be any difference. There are a large number of MinimServer users for both of these NAS brands, and MinimServer should be equally easy to install and use on both of them.
23-03-2014, 10:39
Thanks Simon. How about differences in performance (DS213j is slightly faster) - would it make any difference for my use (sending FLAC (regular and hi-res) files to my Linn, without transcoding)? I have >2000 albums, so speed of (re-)indexing them may be important.
23-03-2014, 13:57
Hi ,

I use A QNAP TS 119 PII for music and a Synology DS 213 J at work (factory administration) both never letting me down.
You might consider using a single bay NAS for streaming audio and spend the money you save on a extra 2Tb harddisc for your PC. Doing this ensures back-up in case of theft or NAS faillure and gives you the ability to do some testing in case of problems.(installing Minim on a PC is really easy)

Peter.
23-03-2014, 16:09
(23-03-2014 10:39)AdamWysokinski Wrote:  Thanks Simon. How about differences in performance (DS213j is slightly faster) - would it make any difference for my use (sending FLAC (regular and hi-res) files to my Linn, without transcoding)? I have >2000 albums, so speed of (re-)indexing them may be important.

From the specs, it looks like the DS213j is 1.2 GHz and the TS-212P is 1.6 GHz. Why do you think the DS213j is faster?
23-03-2014, 16:12
I've read somewhere that Marvell Armada 370 (Synology) is faster than Marvell 6281 (QNAP).
23-03-2014, 17:01
@Adam,

Be careful about the Synology 'j' models. They are the low-end machines and might not have enough power for smooth transcoding. I currently run a Synology DS213, which I like very much. My first NAS was a DS112j, which worked fine until I decided that I liked the sound better with FLAC transcoded to WAV in the server. The 112j didn't have enough power to make this work without dropouts. I have not compared the specs of the 112j and the 213j, so the latter might have enough power, but do check this carefully before buying.

I have never used a QNAP, but I can tell you that I like Synology's Disk Station Manager software. I was a newbie with NAS when I got my 112j and the DSM made setting it up and using it quite easy; likewise when I upgraded to the 213, which I run in RAID configuration with two disks. The DSM set all that up painlessly, which I understand is not always the case when working with RAID stuff.

I like the two-bay RAID setup because I always have an up to date backup--everything that I put on the NAS is automatically stored on both disks. Once a week I sync the DS213 to my old DS112j, which serves as a backup, and also to a USB drive plugged into the DS213. I have two such drives, which I rotate--one is always stored off-site.
23-03-2014, 17:03
Thanks. I don't need transcoding since the NAS is used only for storing FLAC files for my Linn DS system, which does not require transcoding.
23-03-2014, 17:33 (This post was last modified: 23-03-2014 17:33 by simoncn.)
(23-03-2014 16:12)AdamWysokinski Wrote:  I've read somewhere that Marvell Armada 370 (Synology) is faster than Marvell 6281 (QNAP).

Both of these will be fast enough for playing FLAC files without transcoding.
24-03-2014, 01:40
Transcoding on the NAS means the music system has less work to do and therefore uses less power and the noise floor is lowered which improves sound quality.

That was taken from a Naim white paper.