Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ReplayGain
24-01-2018, 09:15
RE: ReplayGain
(24-01-2018 08:48)ClausDK Wrote:  Just couldn't help trying this, so got up earlier than usual this morning! Btw, I'm going for 3a and 4a.

But when trying to applying the settings in the properties, I get this error code:
convOut setting requires a converter

From the manual I noticed that I need a stream converter program if the property ends with a ";". Is it possible to drop the ; and have this fix without adding such say ffmpeg ?
No, it needs the converter to apply the gain.

(24-01-2018 08:48)ClausDK Wrote:  And if I install ffmpeg (how to do this is very well described, thanks!), then will all converting be done by this instead of the internal minimstream converter which I have used until now ?

Claus
Yup
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-01-2018, 09:22
(24-01-2018 08:51)Wickie8166 Wrote:  Thanks Simon,

setting up minim server works for me. My DAC shows the correct conversion
(WAV 44Khz/24Bit).

What I do not understand fully is how to set the replay gain tag.
I already have all my CDs ripped and saved as Flac. Where do I have to put this tag?

Thanks, Frank

Best way would be to use dBpoweramp batch converter, with the ReplayGain utility codec installed (https://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-utility.htm). Then select it when prompted what conversion you want. It won't do any conversion or rewriting the files, but set the tag you want in situ. Be sure to decide if you want track or album gain, but leave the rest to default values.
You may need to purchase dBpoweramp.
24-01-2018, 09:41
To create ReplayGain tags in FLAC files that don't have them already, you can use dBpoweramp Music Converter to do a FLAC to FLAC conversion with the "ReplayGain" DSP effect. This won't change the audio data but will add the necessary tags for track gain and album gain. Be sure not to select "ReplayGain (Apply)" because this would change the audio data.
24-01-2018, 11:00
(24-01-2018 09:41)simoncn Wrote:  To create ReplayGain tags in FLAC files that don't have them already, you can use dBpoweramp Music Converter to do a FLAC to FLAC conversion with the "ReplayGain" DSP effect. This won't change the audio data but will add the necessary tags for track gain and album gain. Be sure not to select "ReplayGain (Apply)" because this would change the audio data.

Foobar 2000 will also work.
24-01-2018, 11:31
Thank you all, will do so!
25-01-2018, 09:49
(25-01-2018 09:41)Donuk Wrote:  The replay codec for dbPoweramp to add ReplayGain seems to be available only in Windows.
Mac? Am I missing something?
Donuk sunny downtown York

Yup. According to website, additional codecs are only available for Windows.
You could ask them on the dbPoweramp forum if there's an alternative:
https://forum.dbpoweramp.com/forumdispla...-Converter
25-01-2018, 09:58 (This post was last modified: 25-01-2018 18:48 by Donuk.)
thanks for being so quick Timster.
I had just deleted my post because I had just found out that my Mac version of dbPoweramp is able to do this anyway!
But I have one question:
Given the long debate that happened in the Linn world about using digital volume controls as opposed to a separate pre-amp, are there any performance issues suggested about using this tag, which amounts really to a digital volume control?
Are there any approximations made and data lost when files have a volume reduced?
Where abouts in the chain of events is this done?
Does the extra workload imposed on the NAS CPU cause any other problems?
I think this is a great feature for party tapes, and local broadcasters, but is it frowned upon by hifi buffs with enhanced sensitivities?
I know one forum which would hate it on sight.......
Having said that, I congratulate Simon on developing this. Minimserver is ultimately flexible.

25-01-2018, 10:07
(25-01-2018 09:58)Donuk Wrote:  thanks for being so quick Timster.
I had just deleted my post because I had just found out that my Mac version of dbPoweramp is able to do this anyway!
But I have one question:
Given the long debate that happened in the Linn world about using digital volume controls as opposed to a separate pre-amp, are there any performance issues suggested about using this tag, which amounts really to a digital volume control?
Are there any approximations made and data lost when files have a volume reduced?
Where abouts in the chain of events is this done?
Does the extra workload imposed on the NAS CPU cause any other problems?
I think this is a great feature for party tapes, and local broadcasters, but is it frowned upon by hifi buffs with enhanced sensitivities?
I know one forum which would hate it on site.......
Having said that, I congratulate Simon on developing this. Minimserver is ultimately flexible.

I have no idea! The thread on Linn forum may be able to answer.
I haven't had any haters there so I presume you are talking about elsewhere?
I know people there who routinely transcode to WAV, and to WAV24, so I don't think NAS loading is an issue, especially now they are more powerful.
All I can say is, just listening, I find it makes those albums that have really high levels an easier and more pleasurable experience, and no detriment to the good 'uns.
As it's only a tag, all I can suggest is try it. You can always turn it off you find different Wink
25-01-2018, 17:19
Hurrah! I've tried this and it's working fine for me.
It was worth the wait.
Many thanks Simon, excellent.
Kind regards,
Hayden
25-01-2018, 20:14
So far so good.
I found that the latest version of dbPoweramp for Mac does the ReplayGain trick fine - you can see its effect by viewing the metadata.
But I use a Melco, and I do not have a Linux machine to prepare the necessary ffmpeg plug-in. And probably would not get it right anyway!
Never mind
Keep up the good work
donuk sunny downtown York