Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ape support
26-02-2014, 10:58
ape support
Hello Simon,

will minimserver support lossless ape to wav transcoding in a future release?

regards,
Stefan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2014, 00:51
RE: ape support
(26-02-2014 10:58)bossinga Wrote:  Hello Simon,

regards,
Stefan

I don't have any plans to add this support.
20-03-2014, 00:03
(27-02-2014 00:51)simoncn Wrote:  
(26-02-2014 10:58)bossinga Wrote:  Hello Simon,

regards,
Stefan

I don't have any plans to add this support.

Hi SimonCN,

let me explain what I mean...
I have a lot of ape (lossless) audio files which my stream magic does not support. I can convert them of course but maybe minimstreamer can transcode the files to pcm or flac. Is that doable or would you consider it?
If not, can you elaborate on that?

thanks and cheers,
Stefan
20-03-2014, 09:56
(20-03-2014 00:03)bossinga Wrote:  Hi SimonCN,

I have a lot of ape (lossless) audio files which my stream magic does not support. I can convert them of course but maybe minimstreamer can transcode the files to pcm or flac. Is that doable or would you consider it?

thanks and cheers,
Stefan

I don't have any plans to add support for ape lossless files to either MinimServer or MinimStreamer. To play these files using MinimServer or to transcode them using MinimStreamer, you would need to use an external converter such as dBpoweramp to convert these files into a supported format. You can find a list of supported formats in this section.
23-03-2014, 23:09
(20-03-2014 09:56)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-03-2014 00:03)bossinga Wrote:  Hi SimonCN,

thanks and cheers,
Stefan

I don't have any plans to add support for ape lossless files to either MinimServer or MinimStreamer. To play these files using MinimServer or to transcode them using MinimStreamer, you would need to use an external converter such as dBpoweramp to convert these files into a supported format. You can find a list of supported formats in this section.

I can imagine it works on a windows box but is this possible on a (Netgear) NAS? With external software (dBpoweramp) conversion?

cheers,
Stefan
23-03-2014, 23:47
(23-03-2014 23:09)bossinga Wrote:  I can imagine it works on a windows box but is this possible on a (Netgear) NAS? With external software (dBpoweramp) conversion?

cheers,
Stefan

You would need to convert the files on a Windows box and then copy the converted files to the NAS.
24-03-2014, 12:16 (This post was last modified: 24-03-2014 12:17 by bbrip.)
(23-03-2014 23:09)bossinga Wrote:  I can imagine it works on a windows box but is this possible on a (Netgear) NAS? With external software (dBpoweramp) conversion?

cheers,
Stefan

As you are using Ape-Format I assume you may be using JRiver as your Mediacenter? You could batch-convert into FLAC using your JRiver software on the PC pointing to the actual files on your NAS.

Just make sure you have a solid backuo of your old monkeys - sorry. I mean apes - just in case something goes wrong. I did that 6 years or so ago when I abandoned ape in favor of FLAC due to its much wider supportive base.

bbrip
24-03-2014, 16:18
Thanks Simon and bbrip,

I use foobar 2000 to convert from ape to flac. Works great and
full control over quality and compression.

thanks,
Stefan
29-03-2014, 01:03 (This post was last modified: 29-03-2014 01:04 by Alekz.)
You can compile one for UNIX. There was a program called "mac", but it's not supported anymore. See this post: http://www.alekz.net/archives/99
06-01-2018, 14:39
Minim use ffmpeg. Month ago I see that ffmpeg support decoding of APE.
It's good idea to make minim support all that can support ffmpeg (or almost all).