Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Missing ffmpeg on PBPI
30-01-2014, 17:24
Missing ffmpeg on PBPI
Hi Simon, to make the converter work it now needs ffmpeg I understand. I assume that needs to be available on the machine that MinimServer is running on. I have not had issues with my QNAP NAS although I didn't install any additional files. My Raspberry PI however doesn't have it. I understand you run one as well; how did you get ffmpeg on it? Thanks, Rene.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2014, 17:34 (This post was last modified: 30-01-2014 18:11 by simoncn.)
RE: Missing ffmpeg on PBPI
(30-01-2014 17:24)ReneZ Wrote:  Hi Simon, to make the converter work it now needs ffmpeg I understand. I assume that needs to be available on the machine that MinimServer is running on. I have not had issues with my QNAP NAS although I didn't install any additional files. My Raspberry PI however doesn't have it. I understand you run one as well; how did you get ffmpeg on it? Thanks, Rene.

For the Raspberry Pi, I would recommend installing the libav-tools package using

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libav-tools

and setting the stream.converter property to avconv. This is because ffmpeg is a deprecated package on Debian/Raspbian.
30-01-2014, 17:43
Wow, you're quick :-)

Thanks, Rene
28-04-2020, 17:16
RE: How to save ffmpeg into opt/bin
(30-01-2014 17:34)simoncn Wrote:  
(30-01-2014 17:24)ReneZ Wrote:  Hi Simon, to make the converter work it now needs ffmpeg I understand. I assume that needs to be available on the machine that MinimServer is running on. I have not had issues with my QNAP NAS although I didn't install any additional files. My Raspberry PI however doesn't have it. I understand you run one as well; how did you get ffmpeg on it? Thanks, Rene.

For the Raspberry Pi, I would recommend installing the libav-tools package using

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libav-tools

and setting the stream.converter property to avconv. This is because ffmpeg is a deprecated package on Debian/Raspbian.

I tried this but message says ffmpeg has replaced avconv in Buster lite. That's good but can you help me with ssh commands to put it in the opt/bin directory of the <minim-home> directory. I have minimserver running on a raspberry pi 3B+. I would like to use Replaygain as I did successfully when I ran minimserver on a Mac. That had a GUI and putting ffmpeg in opt/bin was relatively easy - once I'd found hidden folders Cool
Thanks
28-04-2020, 18:11
You have quoted an extremely old post. Much has changed since then. Can you install ffmpeg using sudo apt (the current way to say apt-get)? If so, there is no need to put it in opt/bin. I don't have Buster running at the moment to try this myself.
29-04-2020, 10:00
(28-04-2020 18:11)simoncn Wrote:  You have quoted an extremely old post. Much has changed since then. Can you install ffmpeg using sudo apt (the current way to say apt-get)? If so, there is no need to put it in opt/bin. I don't have Buster running at the moment to try this myself.

Yes it was extremely old. In my search for answers it was the post which came closest.

sudo apt ffmpeg returns Invalid operation ffmpeg
29-04-2020, 10:37
It is sudo apt install ffmpeg (see the quoted post).
29-04-2020, 19:39
I have tried Buster desktop (one step up from Buster Lite) and ffmpeg is preinstalled. Have you tried typing 'ffmpeg' at a command prompt to check if it is there on Buster Lite? If not, the commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install ffmpeg

should do what is needed.
30-04-2020, 13:09
(29-04-2020 19:39)simoncn Wrote:  I have tried Buster desktop (one step up from Buster Lite) and ffmpeg is preinstalled. Have you tried typing 'ffmpeg' at a command prompt to check if it is there on Buster Lite? If not, the commands:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install ffmpeg

should do what is needed.

Slowly getting to grips with working through command line. I missed out 'install' as you pointed out. With that included ffmpeg was found as preinstalled in Buster Lite. Just needed to use ffmeg in stream.converter property rather than opt/bin/ffmpeg. Thanks for your help.

Is there a way to display in control point that Replay Gain is being applied? When using Bubbleupnp app as a renderer on android device it does show this on Now Playing screen. Bubbleupnp app doesn't do that when using Raspberry Pi/Volumio as renderer. Not tried with Kazoo or any other control points. If not, I can test by ear - a loud recording followed by a quiet one.
30-04-2020, 13:24 (This post was last modified: 30-04-2020 13:28 by simoncn.)
It is not possible to see in the control point whether ReplayGain has been applied. If it is not being applied as you are expecting, you might be transcoding FLAC files using the internal MinimServer converter instead of using FFmpeg. See the Note: in the description of convOut in this section for more information.