Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Audiobooks (m4b)
27-12-2013, 11:15
Audiobooks (m4b)
It seems that MinimServer doesn't support Apple’s Audiobooks (m4b). I can see Files which are in the directory "Audiobooks" if they are mp3, nur not m4b. Is there an option to change this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2013, 19:48
RE: Audiobooks (m4b)
(27-12-2013 11:15)Leixuros Wrote:  It seems that MinimServer doesn't support Apple’s Audiobooks (m4b). I can see Files which are in the directory "Audiobooks" if they are mp3, nur not m4b. Is there an option to change this?

MinimServer supports .m4a files but not .m4b files. I believe the .m4b format is similar to .m4a with the addition of bookmarks and chapter divisions. Can you verify this by renaming one of your .m4b files to .m4a to confirm whether it will play from MinimServer?

If the .m4b audio data is compatible with .m4a, it should be possible to add support to MinimServer for playing .m4b files, but this wouldn't include support for bookmarks and chapter divisions. Would it be useful if MinimServer could support playing .m4b files without bookmarks and chapter divisions?
31-01-2018, 04:14
This post is really old but I'll chime in with the requested info: .m4b is compatible with .m4a so it should work if you enable the extension. You're right that .m4b can optionally include additional meta data tags for chaptering and bookmarks, which would be great to support eventually but not required. Technically .m4a can support those tags as well...
31-01-2018, 07:46
If both .m4a and .m4b can support the additional tags, what is the problem with renaming these files to .m4a?
02-02-2018, 07:42
There isn't any really. It's just a convention to name audiobooks with the "b" extension. A lot of commercial sites like iTunes and Audible use it.
05-02-2018, 17:37
This will be supported in the next MinimServer update. Smile
07-02-2018, 13:03
That's great news, thanks!!
10-02-2018, 17:57
This support is available now in MinimServer update 121.
11-02-2018, 01:44
After the update and a rescan MinimServer is reading my m4b files... awesome!