Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minimserver 0.8.1 crashes following a relaunch or a restart
17-12-2013, 19:06
minimserver 0.8.1 crashes following a relaunch or a restart
After installing minim 0.8.1 on win7 (64bit version), I was asked to uninstall previous 0.72 version. Installation went OK , but minim server refused to start. I had to reboot my win7 system to get it running. Everything OK so far, minimserver was fully functional.

I went to Properties > Packages to install minimstreame-0.3.5. Following a Relaunch (as per instructions), I got a MinimServer error window containing :
Code:
Relaunch failed: see minimserver-heapdump-20131217-...hprof and minimserver-threads-20131217-...log
Here is the minimserver-threads log contents (heap log is way too big to post).
Code:
"TimerQueue" id=25 WAITING
    at sun.misc.Unsafe.park(Native Method)
    - waiting on java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject@cb12b53
    at java.util.concurrent.locks.LockSupport.park(Unknown Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.locks.AbstractQueuedSynchronizer$ConditionObject.await(Unkn​own Source)
    at java.util.concurrent.DelayQueue.take(Unknown Source)
    at javax.swing.TimerQueue.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    Locked synchronizers:
    - java.util.concurrent.locks.ReentrantLock$NonfairSync@55fa81

"Thread-1" id=14 WAITING
    at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
    - waiting on org.jminim.launch.Launcher$ConsoleThread@43935ca7
    at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:503)
    at org.jminim.launch.Launcher$ConsoleThread.run(Launcher.java:1094)

"AWT-Windows" id=11 RUNNABLE (in native)
    at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.eventLoop(Native Method)
    at sun.awt.windows.WToolkit.run(Unknown Source)

"Java2D Disposer" id=9 WAITING
    - waiting on java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue$Lock@7fa7fa99
    at java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue.remove(Unknown Source)
    at sun.java2d.Disposer.run(Unknown Source)

"Attach Listener" id=5 RUNNABLE

"Signal Dispatcher" id=4 RUNNABLE

"Finalizer" id=3 WAITING
    - waiting on java.lang.ref.ReferenceQueue$Lock@6d359448
    at java.lang.ref.Finalizer$FinalizerThread.run(Unknown Source)

"Reference Handler" id=2 WAITING
    - waiting on java.lang.ref.Reference$Lock@589a3afb
    at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:503)
    at java.lang.ref.Reference$ReferenceHandler.run(Unknown Source)

"main" id=1 RUNNABLE
    at sun.management.ThreadImpl.dumpThreads0(Native Method)
    at sun.management.ThreadImpl.getThreadInfo(Unknown Source)
    at org.jminim.launch.Launcher.writeThreadDump(Launcher.java:802)
    at org.jminim.launch.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:217)
    at com.minimserver.launch.LaunchServer.main(LaunchServer.java:28)
Code:
I then restarted minim (withut exiting). This time I got the following error message in the log file:
  Tue Dec 17 11:26:43 starting MinimServer[boulier]
  Tue Dec 17 11:26:43 Platform default charset is windows-1252
  Tue Dec 17 11:26:43 Reading folder cache for Allegri- Miserere; Messe Vidi Turbam Magnam; Motets
  (...)
  Tue Dec 17 11:26:47 Reading folder cache for Zbinden, Julien-François (1917 - )
  Tue Dec 17 11:26:47 Reading folder cache for Zelenka, Jan Dismas (1679 - 1745)
  Tue Dec 17 11:26:47 Reading folder cache for Zipoli
  Tue Dec 17 11:26:51 MinimServer internal error: unknown itemLocation 0x4000010B in playlist Compositeurs/.../Albinoni - Adagio - Andre, Alain (trumpet, organ).m3u
NOTE. The playlist minimserver is complaining about has always played well so far, and does so when 0.8.1 is running OK.
No matter what I did after that (Stop - Restart, Rescan) I always got this errror message. The only way to get a working minimserver back was to Exit minimserver, then retart it from the windows desktop. Then minimserver started OK, the log file showing :
Code:
Tue Dec 17 11:37:35 MinimServer 0.8.1, Copyright (c) 2012, 2013 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
  Tue Dec 17 11:37:35 MinimStreamer 0.3.5, Copyright (c) 2012, 2013 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
  Tue Dec 17 11:37:35 Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_40-b43)
  Tue Dec 17 11:37:35 Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.0-b56, mixed mode)
  Tue Dec 17 11:37:36 Platform default charset is windows-1252
  Tue Dec 17 11:37:36 starting MinimServer
  Tue Dec 17 11:37:37 Scanning directory flac
  Tue Dec 17 11:37:37 Scanning directory A Sei Voci
  Tue Dec 17 11:37:37 Scanning directory Allegri- Miserere; Messe Vidi Turbam Magnam; Motets
  (...)
  Tue Dec 17 11:38:11 Scanning directory Zipoli
  Tue Dec 17 11:38:39 MinimServer[boulier] is running
  Tue Dec 17 11:38:39 Startup complete
(I note that this time the log makes no reference to the folder cache).
I can play the seemingly offending playlist referred to above with no problem, so it seems clear this playlist is OK.

If I try a "rescan", everythig is ok. But if if attempt a "restart" I am back to a non-working minimserver with the same error message in the log :
Code:
MinimServer internal error: unknown itemLocation 0x4000010B in playlist ...
The only way out of this situation is to exit minimserver completely, and restart if.

It appears that the "Relaunch" button in the Properties > Packages tab, or the Restart entry in the minim context box, break minimserver 0.8.1 somehow.

At least, this problem can be systematically reproduced on my win7 setup. This should make it easier to trace. I will be happy to provide any further information that could help fix this issue.

Except for that, my first experience with version 0.8.1 was fine. I will keep working with it.

Thanks for all your efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 20:40
RE: minimserver 0.8.1 crashes following a relaunch or a restart
Thanks for reporting these problems. See my responses inline below.

(17-12-2013 19:06)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  After installing minim 0.8.1 on win7 (64bit version), I was asked to uninstall previous 0.72 version. Installation went OK , but minim server refused to start. I had to reboot my win7 system to get it running. Everything OK so far, minimserver was fully functional.

I haven't seen this problem, and I don't know what would cause it.

Quote:I went to Properties > Packages to install minimstreame-0.3.5. Following a Relaunch (as per instructions), I got a MinimServer error window containing :
Code:
Relaunch failed: see minimserver-heapdump-20131217-...hprof and minimserver-threads-20131217-...log

Here is the minimserver-threads log contents (heap log is way too big to post).

I don't see anything unusual in the minimserver-threads file. Please upload the minimserver-heapdump file to my FTP server, and I will look at it and investigate what is causing the problem.

Quote:I then restarted minim (withut exiting). This time I got the following error message in the log file:
Code:
Tue Dec 17 11:26:51 MinimServer internal error: unknown itemLocation 0x4000010B in playlist Compositeurs/.../Albinoni - Adagio - Andre, Alain (trumpet, organ).m3u

Is this the exact message that you saw, or was there some more text in place of '...'?

How many content directories do you have, and what are their names? Which of these content directories contains the playlist that produced the error message? Which of these content directories contains the files referenced by this playlist?

Quote:No matter what I did after that (Stop - Restart, Rescan) I always got this errror message. The only way to get a working minimserver back was to Exit minimserver, then retart it from the windows desktop. Then minimserver started OK, the log file showing :

(I note that this time the log makes no reference to the folder cache).

This is because MinimServer is rescanning your disk files in this working case. In the other failing case, it is reading information from the cache only.

Quote:If I try a "rescan", everythig is ok. But if if attempt a "restart" I am back to a non-working minimserver with the same error message in the log :
Code:
The only way out of this situation is to exit minimserver completely, and restart if.

It appears that the "Relaunch" button in the Properties > Packages tab, or the Restart entry in the minim context box, break minimserver 0.8.1 somehow.

At least, this problem can be systematically reproduced on my win7 setup. This should make it easier to trace. I will be happy to provide any further information that could help fix this issue.

I think this problem is related to having multiple content directories. Your answers to my questions above will help me understand what might be causing the problem.

Quote:Except for that, my first experience with version 0.8.1 was fine. I will keep working with it.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Thanks for reporting these problems and providing such detailed information about them.
18-12-2013, 05:32
Simon,
Here is the requested info.

(17-12-2013 20:40)simoncn Wrote:  I don't see anything unusual in the minimserver-threads file. Please upload the minimserver-heapdump file to my FTP server, and I will look at it and investigate what is causing the problem.

I have uploaded to your FTP server two pairs of "heapdump, threads" files which were generated this morning following a "Relaunch" from the Packages tab.

Quote:Is this the exact message that you saw, or was there some more text in place of '...'?
The exact error message I systematically get in the log file is this:
Code:
MinimServer internal error: unknown itemLocation 0x4000010B in playlist Compositeurs/Albinoni, Tomaso (161 - 1751)/Adagio G minor/Albinoni - Adagio - Andre, Alain (trumpet, organ).m3u

Quote:How many content directories do you have, and what are their names? Which of these content directories contains the playlist that produced the error message? Which of these content directories contains the files referenced by this playlist?
I have 4 different content directories:
Code:
C:\mu\flac
C:\mu\ncl
C:\mu\cl-mp3
C:\mu\playlists

The playlist to which the error message refers is located inside the 4th one and has the following path :
Code:
C:\mu\playlists\Compositeurs\Albinoni, Tomaso(161 - 1751)\Albinoni - Adagio - Andre (trumpet).m3u
The m3u file points to a flac file inside content dir C:\mu\flac . File contents is as follows :
Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:447,Andre, Maurice; Collegium Musicum De Paris - Adagio For Trumpet
C:\mu\flac\Andre, Maurice\La Trompette Baroque- Albinoni-Telemann-Bach\01 Adagio For Trumpet.flac

Thanks for your help
19-12-2013, 00:17
(18-12-2013 05:32)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  I have uploaded to your FTP server two pairs of "heapdump, threads" files which were generated this morning following a "Relaunch" from the Packages tab.

Thanks very much! I've looked at these, but unfortunately they don't indicate the cause of the problem. I've tried this myself on Windows 7 x64, and I don't get this relaunch error. Which version of Java are you running? How much RAM is there on your machine?
19-12-2013, 02:13
(19-12-2013 00:17)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-12-2013 05:32)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  I have uploaded to your FTP server two pairs of "heapdump, threads" files which were generated this morning following a "Relaunch" from the Packages tab.

Thanks very much! I've looked at these, but unfortunately they don't indicate the cause of the problem. I've tried this myself on Windows 7 x64, and I don't get this relaunch error. Which version of Java are you running? How much RAM is there on your machine?
Simon.
Here is the output of cmd "java -version" on my win7 machine:
Code:
C:\Users\andre> java -version
Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_40-b43)
Java Hotspot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.0-b56, mixed mode)
My win7 is 64bit, runs on an ACER portable with 4GB of ram.

I tried to reproduce the "relaunch" problem this morning, and (unfortunately...) could not (I however did not try a complete deinstall/reinstall sequence; should I ?).

However, the 2nd problem ("MinimServer internal error: unknown item location ...") is still systematic after a restart. The only way after that to get back a working minimserver is to do an exit, followed by a restart from the desktop icon.

Cheers,
André
19-12-2013, 07:22
(19-12-2013 02:13)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  My win7 is 64bit, runs on an ACER portable with 4GB of ram.

I tried to reproduce the "relaunch" problem this morning, and (unfortunately...) could not (I however did not try a complete deinstall/reinstall sequence; should I ?).

I have a similar setup here, and I could not reproduce the problem on it.

It would be a good idea to do a complete deinstall and reinstall. After the deinstall step, check that the C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib directory is completely empty. If any files from the previous 0.72 MinimServer installation are still in this directory, this could cause strange problems.

Quote:However, the 2nd problem ("MinimServer internal error: unknown item location ...") is still systematic after a restart. The only way after that to get back a working minimserver is to do an exit, followed by a restart from the desktop icon.

This problem isn't related to the relaunch issue. I will look at this later today.
19-12-2013, 17:25
(19-12-2013 07:22)simoncn Wrote:  
(19-12-2013 02:13)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  My win7 is 64bit, runs on an ACER portable with 4GB of ram.

I have a similar setup here, and I could not reproduce the problem on it.

It would be a good idea to do a complete deinstall and reinstall. After the deinstall step, check that the C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib directory is completely empty. If any files from the previous 0.72 MinimServer installation are still in this directory, this could cause strange problems.

Quote:However, the 2nd problem ("MinimServer internal error: unknown item location ...") is still systematic after a restart. The only way after that to get back a working minimserver is to do an exit, followed by a restart from the desktop icon.

This problem isn't related to the relaunch issue. I will look at this later today.
Simon,
I did a complete uninstall/reinstall, making sure the Program Files\MinimServer directory was empty before the install (in fact, it was gone altogether following the uninstall through the Config Panel). I did not touch however the config directory (Appdata\Roaming\MinimServer\data). I could not reproduce the relaunch problem. Weird. I however noticed, after going to the Packages tab, that minimstreamer was shown as being installed. Is this normal ?

I uninstalled the minimstreamer package, exited minimserver, reinstalled and installed the whole thing again. This time, the package was shown as uninstalled in the Packages tab, and I could do an install like I originally did when I installed minim 0.8.1 for the first time. Does that mean that, after having been installed, a package is marked as such inside the config directory, and that the minimserver install procedure automatically reinstalls packages marked as "installed" in the config directory ? I am just curious here.

Regards
20-12-2013, 10:13
(19-12-2013 17:25)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  Simon,
I did a complete uninstall/reinstall, making sure the Program Files\MinimServer directory was empty before the install (in fact, it was gone altogether following the uninstall through the Config Panel). I did not touch however the config directory (Appdata\Roaming\MinimServer\data). I could not reproduce the relaunch problem. Weird. I however noticed, after going to the Packages tab, that minimstreamer was shown as being installed. Is this normal ?

I uninstalled the minimstreamer package, exited minimserver, reinstalled and installed the whole thing again. This time, the package was shown as uninstalled in the Packages tab, and I could do an install like I originally did when I installed minim 0.8.1 for the first time. Does that mean that, after having been installed, a package is marked as such inside the config directory, and that the minimserver install procedure automatically reinstalls packages marked as "installed" in the config directory ? I am just curious here.

Regards

The handling of installed packages when MinimServer is uninstalled varies by platform. On most platforms, the folder containing the installed packages is not removed by an uninstall. This is why you saw that MinimStreamer was still installed. It would be the same if you did an update of MinimServer to a new version, assuming that the old MinimStreamer is compatible with the new MinimServer. If not, the new version of MinimServer would detect the conflict and remove MinimStreamer.
30-12-2013, 17:26
(17-12-2013 19:06)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  If I try a "rescan", everythig is ok. But if if attempt a "restart" I am back to a non-working minimserver with the same error message in the log :
Code:

This problem is fixed now in MinimServer update 13.
31-12-2013, 02:17
(30-12-2013 17:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 19:06)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  If I try a "rescan", everythig is ok. But if if attempt a "restart" I am back to a non-working minimserver with the same error message in the log :
Code:

This problem is fixed now in MinimServer update 13.
Thanks a lot Simon. Everything is working fine now.