Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't Install Java on a Synology DS213+
01-12-2013, 03:17
Can't Install Java on a Synology DS213+
Hello All,

I have come here from the PS Audio forum where a number of users have been very positive about MinimServer. I have just got a Synology DS213+ and have loaded it with all my FLAC files. I have been trawling through the various related forum posts on here and have spent about 4 hours fruitlessly trying to install Java on the NAS. I have got a download file from Oracle saved in a folder called public as suggested by the instructions, and then tried to install Java 7 from the Package Centre. I keep getting an error message. There must be something simple I am missing? Huh

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 09:01
RE: Can't Install Java on a Synology DS213+
(01-12-2013 03:17)cerobo Wrote:  Hello All,

I have come here from the PS Audio forum where a number of users have been very positive about MinimServer. I have just got a Synology DS213+ and have loaded it with all my FLAC files. I have been trawling through the various related forum posts on here and have spent about 4 hours fruitlessly trying to install Java on the NAS. I have got a download file from Oracle saved in a folder called public as suggested by the instructions, and then tried to install Java 7 from the Package Centre. I keep getting an error message. There must be something simple I am missing? Huh

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

The message is telling you that you need to have a file named ejre-7u45-fcs-b15-linux-ppc-e500v2-headless-26_sep_2013.tar.gz in the /volume1/public folder. The file you have in this folder is named ejre-7u45-fcs-b15-linux-ppc-e500v2-headless-26_sep_2013 (without the .tar.gz). Also, the file you need has a size of about 32 MB, and the file you have has a size of about 42 MB. This probably means your browser has automatically unpacked the file when you downloaded it. Which browser did you use to do the download?
02-12-2013, 00:51
[/quote]

The message is telling you that you need to have a file named ejre-7u45-fcs-b15-linux-ppc-e500v2-headless-26_sep_2013.tar.gz in the /volume1/public folder. The file you have in this folder is named ejre-7u45-fcs-b15-linux-ppc-e500v2-headless-26_sep_2013 (without the .tar.gz). Also, the file you need has a size of about 32 MB, and the file you have has a size of about 42 MB. This probably means your browser has automatically unpacked the file when you downloaded it. Which browser did you use to do the download?
[/quote]

Thanks Simon,

I used Chrome and unzipped the file using ExpressZip
02-12-2013, 07:14 (This post was last modified: 02-12-2013 09:50 by simoncn.)
(02-12-2013 00:51)cerobo Wrote:  Thanks Simon,

I used Chrome and unzipped the file using ExpressZip

You should not unzip the file. You need to put it in the public folder in zipped form with a .tar.gz extension.

There is a bug in Chrome that can cause the file to be downloaded with a .gz extension instead of .tar.gz. If you see this, the simplest solution is to rename the download back to its original .tar.gz extension without unzipping it.
02-12-2013, 09:24
You should not unzip the file. You need to put in in the public folder in zipped form with a .tar.gz extension.

There is a bug in Chrome that can cause the file to be downloaded with a .gz extension instead of .tar.gz. If you see this, the simplest solution is to rename the download back to its original .tar.gz extension without unzipping it.

Hi Simon,

I did this and it has worked. MinimServer is now visible on my control point app (Cyrus Cadence). Album art is all there - Happy Days!

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Chris