Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can't select MP3 tracks by using "rating"
22-09-2018, 11:22 (This post was last modified: 24-09-2018 14:11 by Gijs Schubert.)
I can't select MP3 tracks by using "rating"
I am using Minimserver on a Synology NAS to control a Naim Nova with the Naim app.
All MP3 tags are in format ID3v2.4

In Minimserver I display the tags: Genre, Artist, Rating (plus some others) in the following sequence:

indexTags: Genre, Artist, Grouping, Style, Rating

I have rated multiple tracks from multiple ABBA albums. One album is in FLAC format, the others are in MP3 ID3v2.4. I like to select all **** (4star) songs from ABBA, so on the top menu I first select artist = ABBA and then Rating = 4.

The problem: Only the **** tracks from the album in FLAC format are displayed, not the **** tracks from the MP3 albums. Same results with Frank Sinatra's albums: ratings in MP3 format do not get selected, ratings in FLAC format go fine.

When I select the MP3 albums, there is nothing wrong: Artist and tracks are displayed normally.

How can MS select and display "rated" tracks which are in MP3 ID3v2.4 format?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2018, 11:47
RE: I can't select MP3 tracks by using "rating"
Which tagging program did you use to write "rating" information into your MP3 files?
22-09-2018, 17:26
(22-09-2018 11:47)simoncn Wrote:  Which tagging program did you use to write "rating" information into your MP3 files?

Simon, I use JRiver Media Center for all my tagging. Based on today's advice I changed the MP3 tag format to ID3v2.4, but that does not help.
23-09-2018, 10:10
JRiver and most other tagging programs write the Rating field (1 to 5 stars) into the ID3v2 POPM frame in an MP3 file (a number between 1 and 255). There is no standard mapping between these rating schemes but it appears that most tagging programs use a similar convention to do this mapping. I am investigating how this mapping could be supported by MinimServer.
23-09-2018, 15:40 (This post was last modified: 23-09-2018 16:47 by Gijs Schubert.)
(23-09-2018 10:10)simoncn Wrote:  JRiver and most other tagging programs write the Rating field (1 to 5 stars) into the ID3v2 POPM frame in an MP3 file (a number between 1 and 255). There is no standard mapping between these rating schemes but it appears that most tagging programs use a similar convention to do this mapping. I am investigating how this mapping could be supported by MinimServer.

Simon, that would be highly appreciated!

The "innocent user" using a solid mediatool such as JRiver MC, simply rates his music 1 to 5 in the tag "rating", and is not even aware that the various formats store this info in different fields. JRiver (and MP3Tag) treats them all the same in the tag "rating". Only in Minimserver these differences appear.

The value of minimserver (for me) is that I can make combinations of artist & rating, album & rating (to hear the best songs of an album) or a combination of music style and rating. I have classified all classical music per instruments/vocals in the tag "band". So all my organ music is under "organ", all Schubert & Schumann Lieder under "vocal piano", all symphonies under "orchestra", all piano concertos under "piano orchestra", and so on.

So if like to hear "best of Bach played on piano" I simply select Artist= Bach,J.S., Band=piano, rating=5 and off we go. Works great with the Naim app.

Yesterday I donated a small sum to express my appreciation for this great program.
23-09-2018, 17:41 (This post was last modified: 23-09-2018 17:41 by simoncn.)
Mp3tag is not doing the same thing as JRiver. If you tag an MP3 file with RATING in Mp3tag, the value is written into a TXXX:RATING frame. This frame is read correctly by MinimServer.

Mp3tag can also write and read POPM frames in MP3 files by using the tag names RATING MM, RATING WINAMP and RATING WMP. The different names represent different mappings between stars and POPM rating numbers. As you can see from this, it is a somewhat complex area.

Many thanks for the donation!
24-09-2018, 14:15
Simon,
thanks for the clarification.
Could I try to 'repair' the earlier given rating in JRiver MP3 files, by some batch command in MP3Tag, such that the existing JRiver rating wil be stored in a tag readable by Minimserver?
24-09-2018, 14:35
All you need to do is wait for the next MinimServer update, which will do what you want with the tagging written by JRiver. Smile
24-09-2018, 14:39 (This post was last modified: 07-10-2018 15:58 by Gijs Schubert.)
Thumbs Up RE: I can't select MP3 tracks by using "rating"
Thank you!

Free service as we speak, is that still possible today?! Yes it is, with helpful Mr. Simon Nash Idea
07-10-2018, 15:54
Simon,

I like MinimServer in combination with BubbleUpnP, but I have the same problem. FLAC ratings work properly, mp3 ratings are not visible. I am tagging with MediaMonkey. Alternatively I've tried some tagging with Tagscanner, same problem.

Any idea when the new update where this will be solved is available? I am now using 0.8.5.3 update 124

Rgds André