Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
start of hi-res tracks clipped off
08-07-2018, 14:13
start of hi-res tracks clipped off
Many (but not all) hi-res files start a few notes to (in case) several measures into the tracks. Seems to be more pronounced with DSD but present with FLAC. This seems to coincide with installing the most recent updates to MinimServer/MinimStreamer. File server is a SonicTransport 7 (running SonicOrbiter), file player a Sonore Signature SE ethernetted into a Moon 380D DAC.

Is there a MinimServer or MinimStreamer setting that might address this problem?

(if I play these files using a QNAP NAS running Asset 5.1.1 through the USB into the MIND interface on the DAC, they play without a problem, so the files themselves don't seem to be corrupted)

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks
Byrdhunt
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2018, 14:46
RE: start of hi-res tracks clipped off
(08-07-2018 14:13)byrdhunt Wrote:  File server is a SonicTransport 7 (running SonicOrbiter), file player a Sonore Signature SE ethernetted into a Moon 380D DAC.
The Sonore Signature SE connects to the Moon 380D DAC through USB (not ethernet), doesn't it ?
08-07-2018, 14:53
(08-07-2018 14:46)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 14:13)byrdhunt Wrote:  File server is a SonicTransport 7 (running SonicOrbiter), file player a Sonore Signature SE ethernetted into a Moon 380D DAC.
The Sonore Signature SE connects to the Moon 380D DAC through USB (not ethernet), doesn't it ?

Yes. That's correct. Signature SE to Moon DAC via ethernet. Thanks.
08-07-2018, 14:57
(08-07-2018 14:53)byrdhunt Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 14:46)Andre Gosselin Wrote:  

Yes. That's correct. Signature SE to Moon DAC via ethernet. Thanks.

Via ethernet or via USB ? You are confusing us...
08-07-2018, 15:06
SonicTransport7 running MinimServer/MinimStreamer ethernetted to Sonore Signature SE USB'd to Moon 380D DAC. This is the primary configuration and the one that's glitching (i.e. not playing the starts of some Hi-Res, esp. DSD, tracks.

The alternate system is a QNAP NAS running Asset 5.1.1 that can be ethernetted directly into the Moon 380D using the Moon's MIND module in place of the Signature SE as the file player. Using this configuration the Hi-Res tracks start from the beginning. Am reporting this alternate because it seems to indicate that the files are not corrupted, which suggests (to this non-techie) that the problem that's arisen (I believe coinciding with the most recent update to MinimServer/MinimStreamer) would involve something that needs resetting on the SonicTransporter, MinimServer/MinimStreamer, and/or the Signature SE. I'm suspecting the adjustment would be to MinimServer/MinimStreamer because it's the most recent change to the system and its configuration.

Sorry for the confusion. Appreciate your patience.
08-07-2018, 15:50
(08-07-2018 15:06)byrdhunt Wrote:  SonicTransport7 running MinimServer/MinimStreamer ethernetted to Sonore Signature SE USB'd to Moon 380D DAC. This is the primary configuration and the one that's glitching (i.e. not playing the starts of some Hi-Res, esp. DSD, tracks.

The alternate system is a QNAP NAS running Asset 5.1.1 that can be ethernetted directly into the Moon 380D using the Moon's MIND module in place of the Signature SE as the file player. Using this configuration the Hi-Res tracks start from the beginning. Am reporting this alternate because it seems to indicate that the files are not corrupted, which suggests (to this non-techie) that the problem that's arisen (I believe coinciding with the most recent update to MinimServer/MinimStreamer) would involve something that needs resetting on the SonicTransporter, MinimServer/MinimStreamer, and/or the Signature SE. I'm suspecting the adjustment would be to MinimServer/MinimStreamer because it's the most recent change to the system and its configuration.

Sorry for the confusion. Appreciate your patience.

You own a Moon 380D equipped with an internal Mind module. The Mind renderer can stream through internet, PCM (all rates) and DSD64. Your SonicTransporter is connected to internet and runs minimserver, and so should be able to directly feed the Mind renderer. With a proper control point (BubbleUPnP on Android, mConnect on IOS, there are many others),
you should be able to drive your system with the Signature SE momentarily out of the picture. You could then verify if the dropouts still occur, or if your tracks now play correctly without the Sonore SE and its USB connection in place.

I make this suggestion to help better diagnose your problem. Keep me informed.
08-07-2018, 16:47
Another suggestion for problem isolation is to try running MinimServer/MinimStreamer on the same QNAP NAS as Asset and pointing to the same library files.
08-07-2018, 20:29
Dear Simon and Andre,

Thank you both for the suggestions.
I wasn't able to convince the MIND to recognize/connect to the QNAP running the current MinimServer/Streamer. (Redid the firmware, closed everything out, rebooted etc.: it insists on only acknowledging the QNAP/Asset pairing).

I have managed to get the Signature SE to play the QNAP files using MinimServer/Streamer. This reduces the problem but doesn't fully resolve it (some files that dropped bits of the opening of tracks now play correctly, others don't, but the ones that don't are less severely impacted).

I also checked the "Properties" screens (I'd saved screen shots of them when the system was first configured). The MinimServer/Streamer on the QNAP and the SonicTransport7 are configured in the same manner, and this matches the settings from before the recent update.

From this test, it seems the SonicTransport7 may be a secondary factor in the glitch but that that wouldn't be the whole of it.

Best,

Tim
08-07-2018, 21:32
(08-07-2018 20:29)byrdhunt Wrote:  Dear Simon and Andre,

Thank you both for the suggestions.
I wasn't able to convince the MIND to recognize/connect to the QNAP running the current MinimServer/Streamer. (Redid the firmware, closed everything out, rebooted etc.: it insists on only acknowledging the QNAP/Asset pairing).

I have managed to get the Signature SE to play the QNAP files using MinimServer/Streamer. This reduces the problem but doesn't fully resolve it (some files that dropped bits of the opening of tracks now play correctly, others don't, but the ones that don't are less severely impacted).

I also checked the "Properties" screens (I'd saved screen shots of them when the system was first configured). The MinimServer/Streamer on the QNAP and the SonicTransport7 are configured in the same manner, and this matches the settings from before the recent update.

From this test, it seems the SonicTransport7 may be a secondary factor in the glitch but that that wouldn't be the whole of it.

Best,

Tim
Tim,
Have you been able to stream from the minimserver on the SonicTransporter to the Mind renderer on your Moon 380D DAC using a control app like BubbleUPnP or mConnect, as I suggested you do ? I personnally own a Moon780D DAC with an internal Mind module, and have no problem rendering to the Mind from my minimserver library (running on Win10 Intel NUC). You definitively should be able to do the same on your system (taking the Sonore SE momentarily out of the picture), the difference being that on your side minimserver runs on a Linux-based SonicTransporter instead of a Win10 NUC. That difference should (in theory) be irrelevant. If not, this indicates a malfunction which needs to be investigated .

Please keep me informed.

Regards,
André
08-07-2018, 21:36
There is a problem with the current version of the MiND app (see this thread) and this is probably the reason why the MiND can't connect to MinimServer on the QNAP.

I don't think there are any recent changes to MinimServer/MinimStreamer that could cause the problem you are having but I can't completely rule out this possibility. The only way to be absolutely certain is to revert to MinimServer update 122 and you can do this as follows:

1) From the MinimWatch minim icon, select Properties
2) From the Properties window, select the Packages tab
3) In the 'Other package' field, type: minimserver-0.8-update-122
4) Click Install and follow the prompts to install this package
5) When installation has completed successfully, click Relaunch

Please let me know whether you are still getting the problem after doing this.