Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a couple of issues I can't solve (config vs. result)
20-01-2018, 14:07
a couple of issues I can't solve (config vs. result)
Likely Simon being the only one to solve this.

I have a setup which doesn't mix differnt folder into 1 album (mergeFolderAlbums = false), and it mostly works (99%).
Now I recently stumbled across an album which did contain all the contents from 2 folders, and I get no pattern why this happens with this one album while some otheres do work as expected.
Structure is
../music/../Fleetwood Mac/
and in there are the following 4 albums
1975 - 2004 - Fleetwood Mac {Expanded Remaster}
1975 - 2011 - Fleetwood Mac {Remaster}
1977 - 2001 - Rumours {Remaster}
1977 - 2013 - Rumours {Expanded Remaster}
and the Rumours album simply gets mixed all together into 1 album.
Doesn't matter which control point or player I use. Even within the Windows Explorer when using the MinimServer[NAS] entry I see that the 2 albums named 'Fleetwood Mac' do appear separately whereas 'Rumours' is mixed all together.

any idea? Anything from the config needed for some help? Till now MinimServer was amongst the very few which allowed me to keep differnt album versions separated from each other while not using ugly wrong albumnames or such like. But I now noticed that some albums still get combined.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-01-2018, 14:47
RE: a couple of issues I can't solve (config vs. result)
MinimServer merges multidisc albums across folders by default because it is common practice to put each disc in its own folder. To prevent this merging, you can use a match filter as described in this section.
20-01-2018, 15:40
(20-01-2018 14:47)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer merges multidisc albums across folders by default because it is common practice to put each disc in its own folder. To prevent this merging, you can use a match filter as described in this section.

Read back and forth now .... no idea what this help should tell me?
Sorry but perhaps one must speak english natively to understand that.
And it can't have to do with multidisc since if so I would not see another ~200 albums which are served to the control points using an identical albumname.

And I don't split up albums based upon stupid physical shipment limitations. Artists don't do that either ... some sell multi-CD-albums on HDtracks which all do contain a track1 once with the album. Splitting up discs is as if keeping Side A,B,C,D information since initalliy released on vinyl. But ok, no problem if some still like it that way. I can say I havrn't split up any album no matter if 1 or 5 physical CDs simply because it could have shipped digital aswell.

So I'm lost somehow .... just looked through the collection as being presented by Minim. Haven't detected another album where this did happen ..... strange if you ask me.
20-01-2018, 15:56
ok did read the whole lot line by line carefully.

mergeFolderAlbums = false
pretty senseless option I'd say since if
albumartist = identical
albumtitle = identical
discnumber = tagged
then it's as if having defined mergeFOlderAlbums = true

since of course I keep the discnumber, why should I wipe it, where track1 on cd 2 still isn't track1 of the album but track 1 + no.of.tracks from cd1.

I'm currently thinking about making use of aliasTags then.
If I don't get the manual wrong I can use aliasTags to send something to 'nil', correct?
Would that allow me to prevent MinimServer to make use of the DiscNumber tag being present in my files?
20-01-2018, 16:29
Hi Simon ... seems to have worked now using
aliasTags: DISCNUMER:NIL

haven't checked if that has other bad influences to the albums served by MinimServer.

nevertheless I would have assumed that mergeFolderAlbums got a higher priority and can't be that easily beaten by a combination of serveral sub-important things.
20-01-2018, 17:06
The correct way to solve this is to use a match filter in the folder name. For example, to prevent the albums named

1977 - 2001 - Rumours {Remaster}
1977 - 2013 - Rumours {Expanded Remaster}

from being merged, you could name the folders for these albums as follows:

1977 - 2001 - Rumours ['Remaster']
1977 - 2013 - Rumours ['Expanded Remaster']

There is no need to change any tags or set any properties.
20-01-2018, 17:15 (This post was last modified: 20-01-2018 17:17 by Alandbush.)
(20-01-2018 16:29)aliasname Wrote:  Hi Simon ... seems to have worked now using
aliasTags: DISCNUMER:NIL

haven't checked if that has other bad influences to the albums served by MinimServer.

nevertheless I would have assumed that mergeFolderAlbums got a higher priority and can't be that easily beaten by a combination of serveral sub-important things.

If you are happy with the above solution then, by all means, ignore the following.

I am not in a position to be able to test the following right now but my interpretation of Simons’ suggestion was that the folder name should be changed to include a match filter.

This takes the form of [‘<text>’] and could be applied to your folder names as follows

1977 - 2013 - Rumours [‘Expanded Remaster’]

****** Oops, crossed posts. Glad you confirmed my understanding Simon. Thanks.
20-01-2018, 17:39
(20-01-2018 17:15)Alandbush Wrote:  If you are happy with the above solution then, by all means, ignore the following.

I am not in a position to be able to test the following right now but my interpretation of Simons’ suggestion was that the folder name should be changed to include a match filter.

This takes the form of [‘<text>’] and could be applied to your folder names as follows

1977 - 2013 - Rumours [‘Expanded Remaster’]

Sure I can name the folder-/filetree so that i matches MinimServer with the sideeffect that some other software I need aswell do fail.
I still think the inventors of metadata did realise the problems resulting from having a linear representation of information while it was pretty obvious that differnt software does require differnt strategies.
So instead of relying upon a foldername I would have loved if Simon would some day introduce something similar to aliasTags which allows not only to define an alias from metadata sitting on one tagframe, but similar to what he does in the tagFormat section, allows to define an alias built from multiple tagframe's data + separators.
Since then it would be dead easy to form an alias which MinimServer could use as the internal album-representation to propperly split / merge things while the display remains the albumtitle as it was given by the artist who invented it.

nevertheless thanks for your comments, haven't tried but I bet it'll work aswell.