Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artist Artwork
07-06-2017, 17:25
Artist Artwork
Despite thinking I have followed your directions closely, I cannot get Artist artwork to display.

- I have created artist artwork in the format artistname.jpg and inserted it into the artist folder (which also contains a subfolder identifying the album name). This does not work.
- I then put the artistname.jpg in the ALBUM folder which contains the flac files for the album AND the albummane.jpg. This did not not work.
- I exited and relaunched minim. I restarted the computer. I restarted the remote which controls the music player/DAC. That did not work.

Please help!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2017, 17:47
RE: Artist Artwork
At present, the only way to display artist artwork is to browse using folder view and put the artwork as folder.jpg (not artistname.jpg) in the artist folders.
07-06-2017, 17:52
(07-06-2017 17:47)simoncn Wrote:  At present, the only way to display artist artwork is to browse using folder view and put the artwork as folder.jpg (not artistname.jpg) in the artist folders.

Thanks, but why do you say something very different than that on your website?

Separately, is there a way to create a DATE ADDED sort?
08-06-2017, 15:33
I don't think the website says something different. Where did you find this?

At present, the only way to create a Date Added sort is to manually add Date Added tags to your files. I am working on a better solution for this.
08-06-2017, 18:53
Thanks. Below is info from your website regarding ARTWORK: how to add album art, group art (I take that to mean ARTIST), and Playlist artwork. Please note that using folder.jpg is the NEXT TO LAST recommended nomenclature alternative.

When displaying an audio file, MinimServer looks for artwork using the following search order:

Artwork in JPEG or PNG format embedded within the audio file
[NEW] A file named filename.jpg or filename.png (exact-case match only) in the same directory (folder) as the audio file, where filename is the filename of the item without its filetype suffix. For example, the audio file Magnificat.flac could have artwork in the file Magnificat.jpg or Magnificat.png.
If the audio file is part of an album, the artwork for the album (see below)
If the audio file isn't part of an album but is part of a group, the artwork for the group (see below)
A file named folder.jpg (exact-case match if available, otherwise case-insensitive match) in the same directory (folder) as the audio file
A file named folder.png (same case-matching search order as above) in the same directory (folder) as the audio file
A file named cover.jpg (same case-matching search order as above) in the same directory (folder) as the audio file
A file named cover.png (same case-matching search order as above) in the same directory (folder) as the audio file
When displaying an album, MinimServer looks for artwork using the following search order:

Artwork in JPG or PNG format embedded within an audio file for a track of the album. If more than one track of the album has embedded artwork, the artwork for the lowest-numbered track is used.
A file named albumname.jpg or albumname.png (exact-case match only) in the same directory (folder) as any of the audio files in the album, where albumname is the name of the album. See the Illegal filename characters section for details of how to handle album names containing characters that can't be used in a filename.
A file named folder.jpg, folder.png, cover.jpg or cover.png in the same directory (folder) as any of the audio files in the album, using the case-matching search order described in steps 5 to 8 above.
When displaying a group, MinimServer looks for artwork using the following search order:

Artwork in JPG or PNG format embedded within an audio file for a track of the group. If more than one track of the group album has embedded artwork, the artwork for the lowest-numbered track is used.
A file named groupname.jpg or groupname.png (exact-case match only) in the same directory (folder) as any of the audio files in the group, where groupname is the name of the group. See the Illegal filename characters section for details of how to handle group names containing characters that can't be used in a filename.
A file named folder.jpg, folder.png, cover.jpg or cover.png in the same directory (folder) as any of the audio files in the group, using the case-matching search order described in steps 5 to 8 above.
When displaying a disc of a multidisc album, MinimServer looks for artwork using the following search order:

Artwork in JPG or PNG format embedded within an audio file for a track of the album disc. If more than one track of the album disc has embedded artwork, the artwork for the lowest-numbered track is used.
A file named discname.jpg or discname.png (exact-case match only) in the same directory (folder) as any of the audio files in the album disc, where discname is the name of the album disc as specified by a DISCSUBTITLE tag. See the Illegal filename characters section for details of how to handle album disc names containing characters that can't be used in a filename.
A file named folder.jpg, folder.png, cover.jpg or cover.png in the same directory (folder) as any of the audio files in the album disc, using the case-matching search order described in steps 5 to 8 above.

I welcome the DATE ADDED capability, but that is not an issue to add to the files. The issue is how will it be displayed. Can there be a Song/File list that is sorted by Date ADDED?
---------------
(08-06-2017 15:33)simoncn Wrote:  I don't think the website says something different. Where did you find this?

At present, the only way to create a Date Added sort is to manually add Date Added tags to your files. I am working on a better solution for this.
09-06-2017, 05:20
(08-06-2017 18:53)bruceorr Wrote:  Thanks. Below is info from your website regarding ARTWORK: how to add album art, group art (I take that to mean ARTIST)

In MinimServer, a group is a collection of tracks (defined by the Group tag) and is not related to the track artist.

Quote:I welcome the DATE ADDED capability, but that is not an issue to add to the files. The issue is how will it be displayed. Can there be a Song/File list that is sorted by Date ADDED?

If your files contain Date Added tags, you can create a Date Added index and sort this index by Date Added. You can also customize the sort order of tracks in the "n items" list so that this list is sorted by Date Added (or any other tag).
20-08-2018, 15:44
Sorry for bringing this old thread up again. I was wondering if there are any plans to implement an artists artwork as suggested in the first post? It would be a nice enhancement. Currently Asset uses an album cover when browsing the artist tree - a bespoke one would be even better Smile

(I understand why an "artist.jpg" or "folder.jpg" in the artists directory won't work as this isn't used to index, but if it is explicitly named "<artistname>" it should be possible to use that when creating the <artistname> index?)
20-08-2018, 16:39
I am aware that some users would like MinimServer to provide this feature (using random images, custom images or both) and it is possible that some capability to display artist images might be supported in a future version of MinimServer.
20-08-2018, 16:42
Thanks Simon. It would be welcomed I'm sure Smile
30-10-2020, 16:26
The feature is now available in MinimServer 2 update 173. See this section for details.