Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't see MinimServer from Windows 10
03-06-2017, 11:18
Can't see MinimServer from Windows 10
On my brand new Windows 10 laptop I can't see MinimServer (installed on a QNAP with the latest firmware) so I can't play my music. I can however see the default DLNAserver installed on the same QNAP (from foobar and VLC) and could play the music using this service but that is not something I would like to do. All my other devices (Windows 7 and Windows 10 PC, Mac, Linn DS, HifiBerry and Android phone) work flawlessly with MinimServer. So I don't expect that I have to change anything on that side. The only MinimServer related thing I can see is the status-page from the browser.

I make my living in IT and have a rather complex home network and tried anything I could think of (and that's a lot! :-)): rebooting all the network devices, tried it wired and wirelessly, turning Windows firewall on and off, checking all the logging I can find etc.. My assumption is that the fault lies somewhere in my Windows laptop (because all the other devices work without a hitch). I assume that I need to configure something in Windows to get discovery to work (it is however specific for MinimServer the other UPNP service running on the QNAP can be seen) but I am fresh out of ideas.

Do any of you have experienced something similar and/or can point me in the direction of a solution?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2017, 18:05 (This post was last modified: 04-06-2017 18:07 by simoncn.)
RE: Can't see MinimServer from Windows 10
How is the new laptop connected to your network? Is this any different from your other machines? For example, is it a 5 Ghz wireless connection instead of 2.4 GHz? Can you try a wired Ethernet connection?
04-06-2017, 19:03
(04-06-2017 18:05)simoncn Wrote:  How is the new laptop connected to your network? Is this any different from your other machines? For example, is it a 5 Ghz wireless connection instead of 2.4 GHz? Can you try a wired Ethernet connection?

I tried it wired and through WLAN (2,4 GHz). In both cases Foobar doesn't show MinimServer (but I can see the default UPNP server and I can display the MinimServer status page in my browser). Also a tracert on (NAS) machine-name works normally (so I expect no DNS problems). Frankly I have no idea what to try next because I have no clue how discovery is supposed to work. Does Minimserver use a different port then the default UPNP server? In that case this is something I can test (with telnet <ip> <port>)

The difference with my old Windows 10 PC is that it was an upgrade and on my new laptop it is a clean install.
05-06-2017, 17:40
As an experiment, try stopping and restarting MinimServer from the QNAP App Center while foobar2000 is running on the PC. Does this cause MinimServer to show up in foobar2000?
06-06-2017, 16:15
I'm sorry to say that it didn't make any difference, MinimServer stays hidden for Foobar and VLC on my laptop. I tried stopping and starting from the QNAP AppCenter menu and a Rescan from the MinimServer Status menu.

For me this is not a high-priority bug (I have workarounds, through the default UPNP server or accessing the files directly) but it is rather annoying because I rather like consuming the music with MinimServer (even when using my laptop).
23-06-2017, 09:21
It's solved. I'm happy (read: embarrassed) to say that it was a firewall issue (as was to be expected). I checked the Windows Firewall and that one is off but my Virus Scanner (F-Secure) does contain a (rather primitive) firewall. With 'trail-and-error' I managed to select the correct rule and now I can use FooBar to listen to MinimServer.