Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transcode advice
18-02-2017, 14:54
RE: Transcode advice
(18-02-2017 09:47)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-02-2017 20:03)Roy Boy Wrote:  I did flip back and forth a few times playing the same DSF64 file from the Lumin control point and Kinsky control point through the Lumin A1. Each time with Kinsky the file played as DSD64...and with the Lumin app it was transcoded to wav 24/384

This is consistent with the LUMIN app having an out-of-date cached URL and Kinsky having the correct current value of the URL.

Based on feedback from Lumin support I reloaded the library from the Lumin control point app. This worked. Previously I had restarted and rescanned the library from Minimwatch, Thanks for your help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2017, 19:52
(17-02-2017 19:28)simoncn Wrote:  MinimServer includes the transcoding setting (if applicable) as part of the stream URL. When LUMIN scans the library, it downloads all stream URLs to its local cache. Any change to transcoding settings requires all affected URLs to be downloaded again by LUMIN.
Thanks for that Simon. I think I understand now.
So control software, like Lumin, Kinsky, Kazoo will tell my streamer, i.e. write on its playlist, not only where a file is on a NAS, but what sort of file it thinks it is. And transcoding has to con it so that the file is treated properly. Cunning....

Donuk, dark downtown York
20-02-2017, 20:55
(18-02-2017 19:52)Donuk Wrote:  Thanks for that Simon. I think I understand now.
So control software, like Lumin, Kinsky, Kazoo will tell my streamer, i.e. write on its playlist, not only where a file is on a NAS, but what sort of file it thinks it is. And transcoding has to con it so that the file is treated properly. Cunning....

Lumin is different, because it, essentially, re-indexes the library for its own purposes; when you access the Lumin tabs, you get the Lumin library, not the MimimServer index, which is only available via the 'Folders' tab (so 'folders' in Lumin does not mean the same thing as in, for example, Kazoo). As I understand Simon's advice, changing the stream.transcode property changes the URL offered by MinimServer, so Lumin has to upload and index it all over again. A far from ideal design concept, IMO. Other control points cache some information (especially album art), but they use MinimServer's indexing for browsing, searching and selection.

The point about transcoded files is not that the control point has to think it is something other than what it actually is. From the perspective of both the control point and the renderer, the transcoded file is the real thing. When Bubble tells me that my DSM is playing a WAV file (rather than the FLAC that is actually stored in the library), that is exactly what it is doing. No need for any trickery at all. But, I agree, it's still very clever.

David
21-02-2017, 19:06
(20-02-2017 20:55)DavidHB Wrote:  The point about transcoded files is not that the control point has to think it is something other than what it actually is. From the perspective of both the control point and the renderer, the transcoded file is the real thing. When Bubble tells me that my DSM is playing a WAV file (rather than the FLAC that is actually stored in the library), that is exactly what it is doing. No need for any trickery at all. But, I agree, it's still very clever.

David

Thanks David - as ever, very helpful and clear..... The reason I persist with Lumin on my old iPad is that the Linn softwares are just too slow.

Don, dark downtown York
22-02-2017, 22:28
(20-02-2017 20:55)DavidHB Wrote:  
(18-02-2017 19:52)Donuk Wrote:  Thanks for that Simon. I think I understand now.

Lumin is different, because it, essentially, re-indexes the library for its own purposes; when you access the Lumin tabs, you get the Lumin library, not the MimimServer index, which is only available via the 'Folders' tab (so 'folders' in Lumin does not mean the same thing as in, for example, Kazoo). As I understand Simon's advice, changing the stream.transcode property changes the URL offered by MinimServer, so Lumin has to upload and index it all over again. A far from ideal design concept, IMO. Other control points cache some information (especially album art), but they use MinimServer's indexing for browsing, searching and selection.

The point about transcoded files is not that the control point has to think it is something other than what it actually is. From the perspective of both the control point and the renderer, the transcoded file is the real thing. When Bubble tells me that my DSM is playing a WAV file (rather than the FLAC that is actually stored in the library), that is exactly what it is doing. No need for any trickery at all. But, I agree, it's still very clever.

David

I am using the Lumin app, but always on the folder structure (having 4000 albums, I prefer this to bad tagging)

I confirm that everytime I change the transcoding, I don't need to reload the entire library. The transcoding is always performed according to Minimserver parameter
23-02-2017, 08:32
(20-02-2017 20:55)DavidHB Wrote:  Lumin is different, because it, essentially, re-indexes the library for its own purposes; when you access the Lumin tabs, you get the Lumin library, not the MimimServer index, which is only available via the 'Folders' tab (so 'folders' in Lumin does not mean the same thing as in, for example, Kazoo). As I understand Simon's advice, changing the stream.transcode property changes the URL offered by MinimServer, so Lumin has to upload and index it all over again. A far from ideal design concept, IMO. Other control points cache some information (especially album art), but they use MinimServer's indexing for browsing, searching and selection.

There are pros and cons to Lumin's approach. I prefer their approach. Once you have a stable set up (i.e. you are not constantly retagging songs), Lumin gives you a more responsive app, especially on older equipment. The downside is of course when things are not stable. Choices, choices...