Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimStreamer connection to Cambridge StreamMagic problems.
08-02-2017, 12:36
MinimStreamer connection to Cambridge StreamMagic problems.
I'm having problems getting MinimStreamer to connect to my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 v2 in order to stream BBC Radio from a playlist.

When attempting to stream from MinimStreamer to the Cambridge Connect app. (which is the app. recommended by Cambridge for the Stream Magic) the app. returns an error "Access denied: An error response was received from the server". The MinimServer log returns an error "0$ playlists $* p0$* c0 isn't a valid container". If I enter *:L16 or *:wav in the stream.transcode properties get the same error.

MinimStreamer will stream BBC Radio to Bubble UpnP where the renderer is the Nexus 7 which hosts Bubble. It will not stream to the Stream Magic. The MinimServer log returns the error "HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied".

MinimServer delivers music to the Stream Magic perfectly.

So the question is has anyone else experienced this problem and is there a way round this or is it just that MinimStreamer is never going to talk to my Stream Magic for some inexplicable reason[/font][/size]? Grateful for any help that anyone can provide.[size=medium][font=Arial]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-02-2017, 16:11
RE: MinimStreamer connection to Cambridge StreamMagic problems.
(08-02-2017 12:36)MartinW Wrote:  I'm having problems getting MinimStreamer to connect to my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 v2 in order to stream BBC Radio from a playlist.

When attempting to stream from MinimStreamer to the Cambridge Connect app. (which is the app. recommended by Cambridge for the Stream Magic) the app. returns an error "Access denied: An error response was received from the server". The MinimServer log returns an error "0$ playlists $* p0$* c0 isn't a valid container". If I enter *:L16 or *:wav in the stream.transcode properties get the same error.

Is the message exactly as you have typed it, including all the spaces in 0$ playlists $* p0$* c0? Or is it 0$playlists$*p0$*c0 without spaces?

This kind of error usually means you need to do a MinimServer rescan and/or refresh any local cache in the control point.

Quote:MinimStreamer will stream BBC Radio to Bubble UpnP where the renderer is the Nexus 7 which hosts Bubble. It will not stream to the Stream Magic. The MinimServer log returns the error "HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied".

I don't quite understand when you are getting this error and when you are getting the other error about an invalid container. This error means the renderer (the Stream Magic) is unable to handle a real-time radio stream and can only stream files from disk. This is because it is attempting to read a specific range of bytes from the file, which doesn't work with a real-time stream.
08-02-2017, 16:48
(08-02-2017 16:11)simoncn Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 12:36)MartinW Wrote:  I'm having problems getting MinimStreamer to connect to my Cambridge Audio Stream Magic 6 v2 in order to stream BBC Radio from a playlist.

Is the message exactly as you have typed it, including all the spaces in 0$ playlists $* p0$* c0? Or is it 0$playlists$*p0$*c0 without spaces?

This kind of error usually means you need to do a MinimServer rescan and/or refresh any local cache in the control point.

Quote:MinimStreamer will stream BBC Radio to Bubble UpnP where the renderer is the Nexus 7 which hosts Bubble. It will not stream to the Stream Magic. The MinimServer log returns the error "HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied".

I don't quite understand when you are getting this error and when you are getting the other error about an invalid container. This error means the renderer (the Stream Magic) is unable to handle a real-time radio stream and can only stream files from disk. This is because it is attempting to read a specific range of bytes from the file, which doesn't work with a real-time stream.

Simon, apologies the error message reads "0$playlists$*p0$*c0 isn't a valid container" without the gaps. I have now cleared all data (not just the cache) from the Control Point [Cambridge Connect] and rescanned MinimServer. I then attempted to request a BBC Radio station in the Control Point app. and received the same messages as before in both the app. and in the MinimServer error log.

Re your second question if I open my alternative Control Point app. (Bubble Upnp) I can select the BBC Radio station in the app. and it will play quite happily PROVIDED that it is rendered by the app's. host machine - a Nexus 7 tablet. However if I change the renderer in Bubble Upnp to the Stream Magic and press the play button in the app. (whilst watching the MinimServer error log) the MinimServer error log then shows the "HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied" error and nothing plays on the StreamMagic. I tried this approach just in case it was a quirk of the Cambridge Connect app. that nothing would play. Although the error message is different the result is the same - no music emanating from the Stream Magic!

Hope this reply clarifies the situation.
08-02-2017, 18:26 (This post was last modified: 08-02-2017 18:55 by simoncn.)
(08-02-2017 16:48)MartinW Wrote:  Simon, apologies the error message reads "0$playlists$*p0$*c0 isn't a valid container" without the gaps. I have now cleared all data (not just the cache) from the Control Point [Cambridge Connect] and rescanned MinimServer. I then attempted to request a BBC Radio station in the Control Point app. and received the same messages as before in both the app. and in the MinimServer error log.

This sounds like a bug in Cambridge Connect. The string 0$playlists$*p0$*c0 is the identifier for a radio stream, which isn't a container. It seems that Cambridge Connect might be incorrectly treating it as a container by invoking a container-specific operation. So that I can check this, please do the following:

1) Restart MinimServer and restart Cambridge Connect
2) In the MinimServer log window, change the logging level to Debug
3) In the log window, click Clear
4) Leave the log window open
5) Attempt to play a radio stream (once only)
6) In the log window, click 'Save as' to save a log file
7) Zip the log file and attach it to a post here
8) In the log window, change the logging level back to Info

Quote:Re your second question if I open my alternative Control Point app. (Bubble Upnp) I can select the BBC Radio station in the app. and it will play quite happily PROVIDED that it is rendered by the app's. host machine - a Nexus 7 tablet. However if I change the renderer in Bubble Upnp to the Stream Magic and press the play button in the app. (whilst watching the MinimServer error log) the MinimServer error log then shows the "HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied" error and nothing plays on the StreamMagic. I tried this approach just in case it was a quirk of the Cambridge Connect app. that nothing would play. Although the error message is different the result is the same - no music emanating from the Stream Magic!

I hadn't realised that you are only getting the second error when using BubbleUPnP. You might be able to work around this byte-range problem by using *:wav or aac:L16 in the stream.transcode property. If you use aac:L16, you need to add audio information to the stream ID in your playlist, as follows:

#EXTINF:-1,[R3;aac,48000] BBC Radio 3
08-02-2017, 19:07
(08-02-2017 18:26)simoncn Wrote:  
(08-02-2017 16:48)MartinW Wrote:  Simon, apologies the error message reads "0$playlists$*p0$*c0 isn't a valid container" without the gaps. I have now cleared all data (not just the cache) from the Control Point [Cambridge Connect] and rescanned MinimServer. I then attempted to request a BBC Radio station in the Control Point app. and received the same messages as before in both the app. and in the MinimServer error log.

This sounds like a bug in Cambridge Connect. The string 0$playlists$*p0$*c0 is the identifier for a radio stream, which isn't a container. It seems that Cambridge Connect might be incorrectly treating it as a container by invoking a container-specific operation. So that I can check this, please do the following:

1) Restart MinimServer and restart Cambridge Connect
2) In the MinimServer log window, change the logging level to Debug
3) In the log window, click Clear
4) Leave the log window open
5) Attempt to play a radio stream (once only)
6) In the log window, click 'Save as' to save a log file
7) Zip the log file and attach it to a post here
8) In the log window, change the logging level back to Info

Quote:Re your second question if I open my alternative Control Point app. (Bubble Upnp) I can select the BBC Radio station in the app. and it will play quite happily PROVIDED that it is rendered by the app's. host machine - a Nexus 7 tablet. However if I change the renderer in Bubble Upnp to the Stream Magic and press the play button in the app. (whilst watching the MinimServer error log) the MinimServer error log then shows the "HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied" error and nothing plays on the StreamMagic. I tried this approach just in case it was a quirk of the Cambridge Connect app. that nothing would play. Although the error message is different the result is the same - no music emanating from the Stream Magic!

I hadn't realised that you are only getting the second error when using BubbleUPnP. You might be able to work around this byte-range problem by using *:wav or aac:L16 in the stream.transcode property. If you use aac:L16, you need to add audio information to the stream ID in your playlist, as follows:

#EXTINF:-1,[R3;aac,48000] BBC Radio 3

Thanks, Simon. Zipped Debug log attached. Hope this helps. I would not be surprised if the Cambridge app. were to have a bug, it's gestation has been long and slow and I know of a few quirks to its operation.

By the way I also tried to get radio working by following the MinimRadio instructions and copying the Custom URL into one of the Cambridge Connect app.'s radio presets. No joy there either; I got the "HTTPSource: byte-range request could not be satisfied" error and the Stream Magic hung looking for the URL.

I'll have a play with the Bubble Upnp suggestions you have made to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks for your ongoing help.

Attached File(s)
.zip  MinimServer Debug Log.zip (Size: 865 bytes / Downloads: 1)
08-02-2017, 23:10
Thanks for the log. The invalid container problem looks like a control point bug to me. The control point is trying to browse the children of an audioBroadcast item and this is an incorrect request.
09-02-2017, 00:23
(08-02-2017 23:10)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for the log. The invalid container problem looks like a control point bug to me. The control point is trying to browse the children of an audioBroadcast item and this is an incorrect request.

Thanks for looking into this it is much appreciated; so the Cambridge Connect Control Point seems a dead end as fixing that is out of both our control though I will try logging a support request with Cambridge Audio Support. I'm not that hopeful of a fix though as they're still working on my last request almost a week after I logged it.

Is there any way that the Bubble Upnp Control Point could be fixed? At least that is known to stream to the local renderer (Nexus 7) it's just that it won't stream to the remote one (Stream Magic 6 v2). I've tried the fixes that you suggested viz. *:wav or aac:L16 in the stream.transcode property and associated changes but unfortunately they did not work. I still got the same error.
09-02-2017, 10:05
There is no problem with BubbleUPnP. The problem with byte-range requests is caused by the renderer (the Stream Magic) and you would get the same problem with any UPnP control point. Unlike the other issue, this isn't a bug as such but a design limitation that prevents this renderer from playing radio streams.
09-02-2017, 11:54
(09-02-2017 10:05)simoncn Wrote:  There is no problem with BubbleUPnP. The problem with byte-range requests is caused by the renderer (the Stream Magic) and you would get the same problem with any UPnP control point. Unlike the other issue, this isn't a bug as such but a design limitation that prevents this renderer from playing radio streams.

Mmmm perhaps I'm being a bit thick here. The Cambridge Connect control point has a function to get the Stream Magic renderer to stream radio (it has a radio search function and a set of 20 radio presets) and the Stream Magic renderer has a radio function see picture attached. This implies that the Stream Magic renderer CAN (and does) play radio streams ... or am I missing something? Admittedly there is no specific radio function in the Bubble control point but it does stream radio to the local Nexus 7 renderer only but not to the Stream Magic. I'm Confused!!!

The reason why I'm trying to use MinimStreamer is because the Stream Magic cannot play MPEG DASH and therefore other than BBC R3 (aac 320 kbps) the remaining stations are now low res 128kbps MPEG. I was hpping MinimStreamer would give me a way around this issue as I'm not convinced that Cambridge Audio will ever implement MPEG DASH as their forecasts keep slipping and there has been no firmware update since last July.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

09-02-2017, 13:38
The BubbleUPnP control point is telling the selected renderer to play a stream from a URL. From that point, the control point is out of the picture and the renderer is talking directly to the URL server (either a BBC server or MinimStreamer). The BubbleUPnP renderer is reading the stream without using byte-range requests, so everything is fine. The Stream Magic renderer is using byte-range requests to read the stream and this is incompatible with playing a radio stream.

As you say, the Radio function of Cambridge Connect and/or the Stream Magic must be doing something special to prevent this problem from occurring. Only Cambridge Audio would know exactly what this "something special" is. My expectation is that setting a custom URL for one of the radio presets would trigger this "something special" mode but you have discovered that this doesn't work.

There is another possiblility for the "something special". A BBC URL doesn't point directly to the audio stream but instead points to a .pls playlist file that points to the MP3 or AAC stream. It might be this level of indirection via a .pls file that is triggering the "something special". A MinimStreamer custom URL points directly to the transcoded AAC stream, so there is no indirection and this might cause the "something special" mode not to be activated. I am speculating here and the reason for the difference could be something else.