Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dsf to wav : what CPU power ?
05-12-2016, 17:39 (This post was last modified: 05-12-2016 17:44 by chip.)
DSD playback conversions for different devices
(17-08-2016 09:39)simoncn Wrote:  The UPnP architecture provides a way to do this but it requires cooperation from the control point and the renderer.

Setting the stream.transcode property to dsf:-/wav24;176 causes MinimServer to advertise two resource streams to the control point. The first stream has MIME type audio/x-dsf and the second stream has MIME type audio/x-wav.

If the OPPO advertises to the control point that it supports audio/x-dsf, the control point should play the audio/x-dsf stream on the OPPO. If the Linn advertises that it supports audio/x-wav but not audio/x-dsf, the control point should play the audio/x-wav stream on the Linn.

Is it possible to put a third conversion in the list or is two the maximum?

I have three playback devices:
A) Sonore supports native DSD64 and DSD128
B) PS Audio Bridge II supports DSD playback using DOP
c) Linn Akurate does not support DSD at all

My control point is BubbleUPnP with the option enabled to query the playback device for supported types supported.
BubbleUPnP > Settings > UPnP Tweaks > Mime-type check checked

Would this work:
dsf:-/dopwav/wav24;176

to send
dsf to Sonore
dopwav to PS Audio Bridge II
wav to Linn Akurate

Or am I just dreaming of utopia?

Chip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2016, 17:52
RE: dsf to wav : what CPU power ?
You can have any number of output streams.

Your idea makes sense but it unfortunately wouldn't work because DoP/WAV is the same as WAV as far as the UPnP protocol is concerned. This means it isn't possible for the Akurate to tell the control point that it supports WAV but doesn't support DoP/WAV.
05-12-2016, 18:45 (This post was last modified: 05-12-2016 18:50 by chip.)
(05-12-2016 17:52)simoncn Wrote:  You can have any number of output streams.

Your idea makes sense but it unfortunately wouldn't work because DoP/WAV is the same as WAV as far as the UPnP protocol is concerned. This means it isn't possible for the Akurate to tell the control point that it supports WAV but doesn't support DoP/WAV.

Simon,
You just smashed my dreams of utopia!!Big Grin

I suppose my only way to go forward with my three devices is to use:
dsf:-/dopwav
for my Sonore and PS Audio bridge II
and
make sure I do not select DSD files when playing back to the Linn Akurate.
This would mean I will not be able to play any DSD files on the Akurate.

or use:
dsf:-/wav24;176
for my Sonore and Akurate
and
make sure I do not select DSD files when playing back to the PS Audio BridgeII.
This would mean I will not be able to play any DSD files on the PS Audio BridgeII.

From these post I understand the CP, BubbleUPnP in my case, tells Minimserver which format to send to the player.
Is this correct?

Chip
05-12-2016, 20:03
The control point decides on the format based on compatibility information that is sent by the renderer to the control point. BubbleUPnP and the Linn DS implement this renderer protocol correctly. You would need to check whether or not Sonore and PS Audio do this. The name of the relevant API is GetProtocolInfo.

If this support is confirmed, you could use the second of your suggestions:

This would play DSF files transcoded to wav24;176 on the PS Audio (better than not playing them at all).
05-12-2016, 20:10 (This post was last modified: 05-12-2016 20:11 by chip.)
(05-12-2016 20:03)simoncn Wrote:  The control point decides on the format based on compatibility information that is sent by the renderer to the control point. BubbleUPnP and the Linn DS implement this renderer protocol correctly. You would need to check whether or not Sonore and PS Audio do this. The name of the relevant API is GetProtocolInfo.

If this support is confirmed, you could use the second of your suggestions:

This would play DSF files transcoded to wav24;176 on the PS Audio (better than not playing them at all).

Hi Simon,
Thanks for the clarification and idea. I had not thought about playing the DSD files as wav on the PS Audio.
After adding the transcode value do I need to restart Minimserver or will the change take effect with the next tracks?
I will give this a try when I have some time and report back.
Chip
05-12-2016, 21:45
A change to transcoding settings takes effect the next time the control point requests stream information from the server. If you are not absolutely sure when this happens (it varies between control points), the safest approach is to restart the server.
07-12-2016, 17:49
Hi Simon,
I have tried my system using the following parameters in MinimServer and using BubbleUPnP as the control point.
stream.transcode results
"dsf:-/dopwav" plays DSD64 files as PCM24/176.4 and DSD128 files as DSD128
"dsf:-/wav24;176" plays DSD64 files as PCM24/176.4 and DSD128 files as DSD128
<empty, no values> plays DSD64 files as DSD64 and DSD128 files as DSD128

The results are shown on the display of my PS Audio DirectStream DAC.
BubbleUPnP shows WAV in place of PCM and DSF in place of DSD but since is really saying the same thing I think it is OK.
If I do not use any transcoding options I can playback native DSD64 and DSD128.
If I use the either transcode option I end up with PCM24/176.4 for DSD64 and native DSD128.

Now this seems even more confusing since my Sonore can send native DSD64 and DSD128 and the PS Audio DirectStream DAC will playback both DSD formats from native DSF files and DoP if I do not use a stream.transcode value.
If I setup MinimServer to send the format based on the renderer it will not send DSD64 even as DoP.

Any ideas?
Chip
07-12-2016, 18:53
This is quite difficult to explain. Do you have BubbleUPnP configured to check for stream compatibility with the renderer (the default setting)? If so, I would like to see what capabilities the renderer (Sonore) is advertising to BubbleUPnP. There are tools that you could use to get this information and I am happy to post details if you wish.
07-12-2016, 19:02
(07-12-2016 18:53)simoncn Wrote:  This is quite difficult to explain. Do you have BubbleUPnP configured to check for stream compatibility with the renderer (the default setting)? If so, I would like to see what capabilities the renderer (Sonore) is advertising to BubbleUPnP. There are tools that you could use to get this information and I am happy to post details if you wish.

BubbleUPnP is set to check for stream compatibility, the default setting. Just confirmed.
BubbleUPnP>Settings>UPnP Tweaks>Mime-type check is checked.

Please post the tool details so I can also find out what is going on with my systems.
07-12-2016, 21:06
I am using the tool "Developer Works for UPnP Technology". See this page for a download link (Windows only).

After installing this, launch Device Spy. You should see the Sonore listed under Devices. Click this, then select the ConnectionManager service. Double-click GetProtocolInfo and click Invoke. Expand the Sink field to see the full contents, then copy the data and paste it into a post here.