Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Implement +6db on dsf:wav transcode?
29-07-2016, 04:44
How to Implement +6db on dsf:wav transcode?
I am ripping vinyl albums to DSD128 (DSF) and then using minimstreamer to transcode to wav 24/384 since my Lumin A1 cannot play DSD128. (only DSD64). The output level of these transcoded DSD128 files is too low. I am trying to implement the +6db gain option. I am using Miniwatch - Properties then select System tab. On the stream.transcode field I tried the following:

dsf:wav24;384, flac:wav+6db

but this gave me a syntax error. Can you point me at where I can input this +6db option correctly? Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2016, 17:55
RE: How to Implement +6db on dsf:wav transcode?
Why not rip into 24/96 as you send PCM to the DAC regardless of the DSD format?
29-07-2016, 21:59
To increase the volume by 6dB when transcoding from DSF to WAV, you can set the stream.options property to the following:

convOut=-af volume=+6dB

Note that dB is case sensitive.
30-07-2016, 16:53
(29-07-2016 17:55)rompolompo Wrote:  Why not rip into 24/96 as you send PCM to the DAC regardless of the DSD format?
If I am going to spend the time to rip vinyl, I am going to do it at the highest resolution possible. I did an initial rip at 24/196 and DSD64 and found the DSD64 captured more detail...so hence I decided to rip at DSD128 even if my current streamer cannot handle DSD128.. I figure the ripped files will outlive the streamer hardware
30-07-2016, 17:01
(29-07-2016 21:59)simoncn Wrote:  To increase the volume by 6dB when transcoding from DSF to WAV, you can set the stream.options property to the following:

convOut=-af volume=+6dB

Simon,
Thank you. That worked well.
30-06-2017, 12:13 (This post was last modified: 30-06-2017 12:15 by Lex.)
(30-07-2016 17:01)Roy Boy Wrote:  
(29-07-2016 21:59)simoncn Wrote:  To increase the volume by 6dB when transcoding from DSF to WAV, you can set the stream.options property to the following:

convOut=-af volume=+6dB

Simon,
Thank you. That worked well.

Wouldn't this also increase volume for any other transcodes (i.e. flac to WAV)?

Assuming it does, is there a way to only apply an increased volume to dsd to wav transcodes?
01-07-2017, 06:23
This depends on whether your FLAC to WAV transcodes are using a converter program such as ffmpeg (in which case this setting would increase volume for these transcodes) or doing the conversion within MinimStreamer (in which case this setting would not increase volume for these transcodes).
01-07-2017, 07:31
Simon, Thanks for your reply.

I scanned all my .dsf files with foobar's replay gain scanner and the highest peaks on any of them are just below 0.7 (except one peak in the Thriller SACD, which seems wrong it is notably quieter than the CD). This means that it would be safe to increase volume for DSD files with 3 dB during the transcoding to WAV.

It's a shame that with soxr it is impossible to distinguish between these different transcodes. I would love to be able to increase my DSD volumes, but no way I am giving up on soxr.
04-08-2017, 17:11
(01-07-2017 07:31)Lex Wrote:  Simon, Thanks for your reply.

I scanned all my .dsf files with foobar's replay gain scanner and the highest peaks on any of them are just below 0.7 (except one peak in the Thriller SACD, which seems wrong it is notably quieter than the CD). This means that it would be safe to increase volume for DSD files with 3 dB during the transcoding to WAV.

It's a shame that with soxr it is impossible to distinguish between these different transcodes. I would love to be able to increase my DSD volumes, but no way I am giving up on soxr.

I agree. I have same issue : all transcode from dsd to wav24:176; are low in volume. But as I convert flac to wav24;, I don't want to augment volume for all of them (I am using ffmpeg)

A question : I already have
convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr:precision=28

it sounds stupid, but I don't know how to add the level conversion to this string. I tryed
convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr:precision=28; volume=+6dB
convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr:precision=28, volume=+6dB
convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr:precision=28 volume=+6dB

etc none works...

Thx !
04-08-2017, 17:12
OK, it was
convOut=-af aresample=resampler=soxr:precision=28; -af volume=+3dB