Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC HLS Radio Streams
08-01-2016, 10:26
RE: BBC HLS Radio Streams
(15-12-2015 12:47)mors Wrote:  I am using Synology NAS to stream BBC HLS to Linn KDSM via Kazoo.I have just bought a Revo radio which recognises Minimserver and my music is readily available.It also shows 1 playlist for Radio,when this is selected it just shows as 'empty".Is there any way around this or am I simply trying to get something that is not available.As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post to relate my experience on this matter.

I use Minim Server/Minimstreamer in conjunction with Frontier Silicon Wifi Portal/My Added Stations to stream BBC HLS streams to my Revo SuperConnect Radio - it is extremely stable and runs day and night if you let it go.

I have assigned favourites on my remote (the big clunky one) so that button two is BBC Radio 2 HLS, ditto 3, ditto 4 etc. Very easy to us, very stable and reliable and very high quality audio and has been for months.

If you have the same radio you can get the Frontier Silicon Wifi portal under Internet Radio in your hand book and the instructions for MinimStreamer here.

http://minimstreamer.com/

Many thanks to Simon for helping me enjoy the full potential of this great radio.

I think Revo may eventually enable DASH protocol decoding on their radios and Simon has said he may update the Minimstreamer to use this protocol in due course.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2016, 14:52
(08-01-2016 10:26)hifih66 Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 12:47)mors Wrote:  I am using Synology NAS to stream BBC HLS to Linn KDSM via Kazoo.I have just bought a Revo radio which recognises Minimserver and my music is readily available.It also shows 1 playlist for Radio,when this is selected it just shows as 'empty".Is there any way around this or am I simply trying to get something that is not available.As always any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is my first post to relate my experience on this matter.

I use Minim Server/Minimstreamer in conjunction with Frontier Silicon Wifi Portal/My Added Stations to stream BBC HLS streams to my Revo SuperConnect Radio - it is extremely stable and runs day and night if you let it go.

I have assigned favourites on my remote (the big clunky one) so that button two is BBC Radio 2 HLS, ditto 3, ditto 4 etc. Very easy to us, very stable and reliable and very high quality audio and has been for months.

If you have the same radio you can get the Frontier Silicon Wifi portal under Internet Radio in your hand book and the instructions for MinimStreamer here.

http://minimstreamer.com/

Many thanks to Simon for helping me enjoy the full potential of this great radio.

I think Revo may eventually enable DASH protocol decoding on their radios and Simon has said he may update the Minimstreamer to use this protocol in due course.

Hi, 1st time poster here (so be gentle please) I also use the frontier silicone portal (FSP) to add stations to my radio (can you guess which one?) but I am failing miserably to crack this HLS lark! I just don't understand the instructionsSad

I have (I think) succesfully installed the minimserver/streamer packages (the icon is showing in my system tray).

I'm not sure if I've grasped the plain text file, so I may need some hints there but my real confusion is the adding of URLs (obviously I do this all the time on the FSP).

I'm adding my IP as per the instructions but then I'm completely confused as to how I formulate the rest of the address! The example given in the instructions says: "http://192.168.0.10:9790/minimstreamer/*/R3" - where does the "9790/minimstreamer/*/R3" come from?Huh

As an example I have "BBC Radio2.m3u" saved as a plain text file in my BBC Radio folder (as per instructions). That file contains this text: "http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8" if that helps?

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein
18-03-2016, 16:03 (This post was last modified: 18-03-2016 16:04 by simoncn.)
(18-03-2016 14:52)RobertsRevival Wrote:  Hi, 1st time poster here (so be gentle please) I also use the frontier silicone portal (FSP) to add stations to my radio (can you guess which one?) but I am failing miserably to crack this HLS lark! I just don't understand the instructionsSad

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Quote:I have (I think) succesfully installed the minimserver/streamer packages (the icon is showing in my system tray).

I'm not sure if I've grasped the plain text file, so I may need some hints there but my real confusion is the adding of URLs (obviously I do this all the time on the FSP).

I'm adding my IP as per the instructions but then I'm completely confused as to how I formulate the rest of the address! The example given in the instructions says: "http://192.168.0.10:9790/minimstreamer/*/R3" - where does the "9790/minimstreamer/*/R3" come from?Huh

This part of the instructions could be slightly clearer. For each station, you need to add a custom station URL of

http://x.x.x.x:9790/minimstreamer/*/zz

whe x.x.x.x is the IP address of the machine running MinimServer/MinimStreamer and zz is the stream id from the .m3u file (for example, R2 for Radio 2).

Quote:As an example I have "BBC Radio2.m3u" saved as a plain text file in my BBC Radio folder (as per instructions). That file contains this text: "http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8" if that helps?

You should have a single BBC Radio.m3u file containing URLs for all the BBC stations that you want to play. The contents of this file should be identical to the sample file that you can download from this link. After downloading the BBC Radio.m3u.sample file, rename it to BBC Radio.m3u without changing its contents.
18-03-2016, 16:30
(18-03-2016 16:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 14:52)RobertsRevival Wrote:  Hi, 1st time poster here (so be gentle please) I also use the frontier silicone portal (FSP) to add stations to my radio (can you guess which one?) but I am failing miserably to crack this HLS lark! I just don't understand the instructionsSad

Welcome to the MinimServer forum!

Quote:I have (I think) succesfully installed the minimserver/streamer packages (the icon is showing in my system tray).

This part of the instructions could be slightly clearer. For each station, you need to add a custom station URL of

whe x.x.x.x is the IP address of the machine running MinimServer/MinimStreamer and zz is the stream id from the .m3u file (for example, R2 for Radio 2).

Quote:As an example I have "BBC Radio2.m3u" saved as a plain text file in my BBC Radio folder (as per instructions). That file contains this text: "http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/live/manifesto/audio/simulcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_two.m3u8" if that helps?

You should have a single BBC Radio.m3u file containing URLs for all the BBC stations that you want to play. The contents of this file should be identical to the sample file that you can download from this link. After downloading the BBC Radio.m3u.sample file, rename it to BBC Radio.m3u without changing its contents.

Hi - many thanks for replying. I feel so close but I just can't get it to work! I think I've done everything you say. I must be missing something really obvious.Blush

When I save-as the sample file, it says it already exist and each time I say over-write, but I can't actually see the file in the folder? (I can see 8 separate text files)!

I've got to go out now but I'll have another go tomorrow. I've been trying since June last year! Thank for trying to help.

"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?" - Albert Einstein
18-03-2016, 18:09
(18-03-2016 16:03)simoncn Wrote:  This part of the instructions could be slightly clearer. For each station, you need to add a custom station URL of

I have added this information to the web page now.
19-03-2016, 09:36
(18-03-2016 18:09)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-03-2016 16:03)simoncn Wrote:  This part of the instructions could be slightly clearer. For each station, you need to add a custom station URL of

Don't know if this helps?

On the Reciva Portal for my Revo Radio I have added stations like the one in the attached picture for each of the playlist items to which I am interested in listening.

I then go to "Internet Radio/Station List/My Added Stations and select (in this case) BBC Radio 3 which "points" the Revo to the R3 item in the playlist
and the HLS streams plays on the radio.

I then press and hold the "3" button on the clunky remote and this station is assigned to the "3" button.

Repeat for all the stations you are interested in receiving.

Please note, anything beyond BBC Radio 3 in the station title is arbitary an can be omitted.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

19-03-2016, 11:39
(19-03-2016 09:36)hifih66 Wrote:  

On the Reciva Portal for my Revo Radio I have added stations like the one in the attached picture for each of the playlist items to which I am interested in listening.

I then go to "Internet Radio/Station List/My Added Stations and select (in this case) BBC Radio 3 which "points" the Revo to the R3 item in the playlist

I then press and hold the "3" button on the clunky remote and this station is assigned to the "3" button.

Please note, anything beyond BBC Radio 3 in the station title is arbitary an can be omitted.

Ok just to rule it out (and this must be a problem, if not the problem) the m3u file has saved as a winamp type and so is defaulting to open in winamp. How can I change this? I have tried browsing to find the minimserver, but can't find anything obvious to choose (recommended programs are VLC or Windows media). Alternatively, how do I get the m3u file to save as something other than a winamp type?Huh

19-03-2016, 12:19 (This post was last modified: 19-03-2016 12:50 by hifih66.)
(19-03-2016 11:39)RobertsRevival Wrote:  
(19-03-2016 09:36)hifih66 Wrote:  

Ok just to rule it out (and this must be a problem, if not the problem) the m3u file has saved as a winamp type and so is defaulting to open in winamp. How can I change this? I have tried browsing to find the minimserver, but can't find anything obvious to choose (recommended programs are VLC or Windows media). Alternatively, how do I get the m3u file to save as something other than a winamp type?Huh

Getting up to my level of competence now so shoot me down too if this isn't right.

I don't think the filetype matters, (mine says Windows Media Player if I view it from a Windows PC). Where you install the playlist matters it should be at the same level as your minimserver/streamer installation. So from your image your minimserver/streamer installation shoud be at C:/minimserver, is that correct?

Edit: Strike this post - it'll probably cause more confusion than help. I'll bow out now before I cause any more problems.
19-03-2016, 14:08
Ok, pulling out what's left of my hair now, does the screenshot below help to identify what's wrong?

20-03-2016, 10:54
(19-03-2016 14:08)RobertsRevival Wrote:  Ok, pulling out what's left of my hair now, does the screenshot below help to identify what's wrong?
Blind leading the blind now but I'll give it a try. Forgive me if these questions are obvious.

It looks good to me

Can you show us a screenshot of your packages tab, just to verify that minimstreamer package is installed?

Can you confirm that 192.168.1.254 is IP address of your server (and not your radio) and that the IP hasn't changed due to DHCP assignment?

Can you create C:\Music folder, add a music file (mp3 or flac work on mine), and add C:\Music to your content dir using the "+" tab and confirm that you can play the music file on your radio? On my radio this is done from the MusicPlayer/SharedMedia/MinimServer menu item.

What does your radio say, on the display, when you try to play these radio streams?

These steps may not solve your problem but will help me and hopefully others to fully understand.