Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WD MyCloud and Minimserver
28-10-2015, 10:05
RE: WD MyCloud and Minimserver
(27-10-2015 22:57)Panos Wrote:  uname -a
Linux WDMyCloud 3.2.26 #1 SMP Thu Jul 9 11:14:15 PDT 2015 wd-2.4-rel armv7l GNU/Linux

and in /lib I have arm-linux-gnueabihf directory, which means AFAIK that I should select the hard floated version. I used for java ejre-7u75-fcs-b13-linux-arm-vfp-hflt-server_headless-18_dec_2014, downloaded from the Oracle website.
I am not an expert, so if you know what I did wrong ...

Which model (e.g., My Cloud, My Cloud Mirror, My Cloud Mirror Gen 2, My Cloud EX2, My Cloud EX4) is it?

Are you running My Cloud OS 3?

How did you install the downloaded Java file?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2015, 10:23
(28-10-2015 10:05)simoncn Wrote:  
(27-10-2015 22:57)Panos Wrote:  uname -a
Linux WDMyCloud 3.2.26 #1 SMP Thu Jul 9 11:14:15 PDT 2015 wd-2.4-rel armv7l GNU/Linux

and in /lib I have arm-linux-gnueabihf directory, which means AFAIK that I should select the hard floated version. I used for java ejre-7u75-fcs-b13-linux-arm-vfp-hflt-server_headless-18_dec_2014, downloaded from the Oracle website.
I am not an expert, so if you know what I did wrong ...

Which model (e.g., My Cloud, My Cloud Mirror, My Cloud Mirror Gen 2, My Cloud EX2, My Cloud EX4) is it?

Are you running My Cloud OS 3?

How did you install the downloaded Java file?

Ok, sorry, it's the My Cloud running the latest software (OS v04.04.00-308). Java was installed (extracted) into a /Public/Java folder which is owned by root with 777 permissions. I preferred to symlink the binary to /usr/local/bin but executing the java bin right from the installation folder resulted to the same error. I also tried the last java version from the Oracle website with exactly the same error.
28-10-2015, 10:58
(28-10-2015 10:23)Panos Wrote:  Ok, sorry, it's the My Cloud running the latest software (OS v04.04.00-308). Java was installed (extracted) into a /Public/Java folder which is owned by root with 777 permissions. I preferred to symlink the binary to /usr/local/bin but executing the java bin right from the installation folder resulted to the same error. I also tried the last java version from the Oracle website with exactly the same error.

Perhaps the system GLIBC version is too low to run Java. What version number do you see if you run /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6?

You could also try running ldd /usr/local/bin/java to check the dependencies. It is normal for libjli.so to be not found.
28-10-2015, 19:48
(28-10-2015 10:58)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 10:23)Panos Wrote:  Ok, sorry, it's the My Cloud running the latest software (OS v04.04.00-308). Java was installed (extracted) into a /Public/Java folder which is owned by root with 777 permissions. I preferred to symlink the binary to /usr/local/bin but executing the java bin right from the installation folder resulted to the same error. I also tried the last java version from the Oracle website with exactly the same error.

Perhaps the system GLIBC version is too low to run Java. What version number do you see if you run /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6?

You could also try running ldd /usr/local/bin/java to check the dependencies. It is normal for libjli.so to be not found.

Running /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 shows version 2.17. Running the ldd command the system replies "not a dynamic executable". This sort of error usually indicates missing 32-bit libraries on 64-bit systems. Arm 7l is of course 32 bit, hence something else should be missing. I entered
apt-get install openjdk-7-jre-headless
and got

The following extra packages will be installed:
ca-certificates-java fontconfig-config fonts-dejavu-core icedtea-7-jre-jamvm java-common
libasyncns0 libcups2 libffi6 libflac8 libfontconfig1 libgmp10 libgnutls-deb0-28 libhogweed2
libice6 libjpeg62-turbo liblcms2-2 libnettle4 libnspr4 libnss3 libp11-kit0 libpcsclite1 libpulse0
libsm6 libsndfile1 libsystemd0 libtasn1-6 libvorbis0a libvorbisenc2 libx11-6 libx11-xcb1 libxext6
libxi6 libxtst6 ttf-dejavu-core tzdata tzdata-java x11-common
Suggested packages:
default-jre equivs cups-common gnutls-bin liblcms2-utils pcscd pulseaudio libnss-mdns
sun-java6-fonts fonts-dejavu-extra fonts-ipafont-gothic fonts-ipafont-mincho ttf-wqy-microhei
ttf-wqy-zenhei fonts-indic
The following NEW packages will be installed:
ca-certificates-java fonts-dejavu-core icedtea-7-jre-jamvm java-common libasyncns0 libcups2
libffi6 libgmp10 libgnutls-deb0-28 libhogweed2 libice6 libjpeg62-turbo liblcms2-2 libnettle4
libnspr4 libnss3 libpcsclite1 libpulse0 libsm6 libsndfile1 libsystemd0 libtasn1-6 libvorbis0a
libvorbisenc2 libx11-xcb1 libxext6 libxi6 libxtst6 openjdk-7-jre-headless tzdata-java x11-common
The following packages will be upgraded:
fontconfig-config libflac8 libfontconfig1 libp11-kit0 libx11-6 ttf-dejavu-core tzdata

I am not sure if I should install all that files though ...
28-10-2015, 20:22 (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 20:23 by simoncn.)
(28-10-2015 19:48)Panos Wrote:  Running /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 shows version 2.17.

This version is fine.

Quote:Running the ldd command the system replies "not a dynamic executable". This sort of error usually indicates missing 32-bit libraries on 64-bit systems.

I wouldn't do that myself. The Oracle Java download is self-contained and should contain everything that's needed except for standard Linux libraries. Instead, I would try to work out why ldd doesn't think the java file is a dynamic executable. Can you use readelf or objdump to look inside the file? You could also try downloading the soft-float version of the Oracle EJRE in case your version of Linux is actually soft-float despite indications to the contrary.
29-10-2015, 22:45
(28-10-2015 20:22)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 19:48)Panos Wrote:  Running /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6 shows version 2.17.

This version is fine.

Quote:Running the ldd command the system replies "not a dynamic executable". This sort of error usually indicates missing 32-bit libraries on 64-bit systems.

I wouldn't do that myself. The Oracle Java download is self-contained and should contain everything that's needed except for standard Linux libraries. Instead, I would try to work out why ldd doesn't think the java file is a dynamic executable. Can you use readelf or objdump to look inside the file? You could also try downloading the soft-float version of the Oracle EJRE in case your version of Linux is actually soft-float despite indications to the contrary.

Ok, I found out the reason: the v4 firmware uses a customised debian system with 64K page size. That explains the KILLED output. Every app - including all dependencies - has to be built on an emulated environment using the wd source code for the v4 firmware. If somebody has the time and knowledge to complete this task ...
29-10-2015, 23:46
(29-10-2015 22:45)Panos Wrote:  Ok, I found out the reason: the v4 firmware uses a customised debian system with 64K page size. That explains the KILLED output. Every app - including all dependencies - has to be built on an emulated environment using the wd source code for the v4 firmware. If somebody has the time and knowledge to complete this task ...

Thanks for letting me know. It seems very unlikely that Oracle would build a special WD version of Java.
15-09-2016, 15:16 (This post was last modified: 15-09-2016 15:17 by Soli.)
I just got a Mycloud Gen2 as a replacement for one of my MBLs that stopped working. And I immediately googled to see if Minimserver was possible on these. Unfortunately it's not possible (not as of today anyways, it's not even debian anymore but busybox?).

I still have a bunch of older MBL and I can confirm these work fine with Minimserver. I always wanted Minimserver to work on these..but the last time I checked there was an incompatibility with the cpu, so it's quite ironic that in the quest of getting Minimserver to work on the Mycloud gen2, I ended up getting Minimserver to work on my MBLs
15-09-2016, 17:41
This is because the current Linux PPC build is compiled for an older level of the PPC architecture to provide compatibility with the MBL.

Have you tried installing and running the MinimServer Linux ARM hard-float download on the Gen 2? You would also need to install the ARM 32-bit hard-float version of Java. What happens if you do this?
16-09-2016, 02:01
(15-09-2016 17:41)simoncn Wrote:  This is because the current Linux PPC build is compiled for an older level of the PPC architecture to provide compatibility with the MBL.

Have you tried installing and running the MinimServer Linux ARM hard-float download on the Gen 2? You would also need to install the ARM 32-bit hard-float version of Java. What happens if you do this?

Actually I haven't even opened up my new drive. I'll take the plunge one of these days and report back!