Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to display names (composer etc.) alphabetically in album list?
19-08-2020, 20:23 (This post was last modified: 19-08-2020 21:59 by simbun.)
RE: How to display names (composer etc.) alphabetically in album list?
I'm also not aware of a way you can sort the album artist field using foobar functions, but if you have a basic understanding of linux or windows scripting you could achieve what you want by using m-TAGS.

By Using m-TAGS in foobar you can create an export of each album to a text file (by default with !.tags extension) that contains all the music tags, which can be subsequently processed, loaded back into foobar and used to update your music files (it's much more powerful than that, but that's primarily what I use it for).

Example album output file:
Code:
[
   {
      "@" : "/G:/Tagged&Cleaned/flac/Beatles, The/2010 - 1962-1966 (The Red Album)/01.01.flac",
      "ALBUM" : "1962-1966 (The Red Album)",
      "ALBUM ARTIST" : "The Beatles",
      "ALBUMARTISTSORT" : "Beatles, The",
      "ARTIST" : "The Beatles",
      "ARTISTSORT" : "Beatles, The",
      "DATE" : "2010",
      "DATEADDED" : "2017-03-15",
      "DISCNUMBER" : "01",
      "GENRE" : "Pop Rock",
      "TITLE" : "Love Me Do",
      "TRACKNUMBER" : "01"
   },
   {
      "@" : "/G:/Tagged&Cleaned/flac/Beatles, The/2010 - 1962-1966 (The Red Album)/01.02.flac",
      "TITLE" : "Please Please Me",
      "TRACKNUMBER" : "02"
   },
]

So if all you need is to sort the values in Album Artist, process each text file (album) and when you get to the Album Artist line, split the values by your separator, sort them and write that line back out.
If you wanted to build a sorted string based on the Composer Sort tags across the whole album, you'd parse the file collecting all the Composer Sort tags, dedupe and sort them, then write the file back out with the modified Album Artist(SORT) string.

I used this approach for supplementing my files (~20,000 at the time) with data from a musicbrainz data dump without any issues (although a few things to beware of if you're adding new text into the file, rather than just rearranging it like you need to).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to display names (composer etc.) alphabetically in album list? - simbun - 19-08-2020 20:23