Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature Request: Tag Update Tag Referencing
05-09-2017, 11:18
Feature Request: Tag Update Tag Referencing
I have recently overhauled my music library following an equipment upgrade. MinimServer has undergone some wonderful enhancements since I last played and it does almost everything I want. Love it! I find myself currently only really missing one thing. It's a problem faced by others, too, I think (witness at least http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthr...agUpdate). For classical music, there just aren't enough fields in the typical renderer's display, so compromises must sometimes be made to accommodate the composer (when the composer name is not in the album title, usually).

The solution proposed by Simon in the above post would certainly work, but it does make the (non-classical) audio files rather less portable for use with other servers, etc.

As I looked at the tagFormat property and my music collection, I longed to do something like this:

Title.displayFormat={($genre=="Classical"?$composer:)^^ • $title^$movementnumber^: ^. $movement}

The embedded ternary operator would supply the composer name only if the genre were "Classical", but of course this functionality is not part of the spec.

Then I discovered the tagUpdate property. It gets closer to solving the problem, but only takes literal strings as setting or replacement text. My thought was to reference the COMPOSER tag for the contents of a new CLCOMPOSER tag for files tagged "Classical". So in the tag update file would be these lines:

@GENRE=Classical
+CLCOMPOSER=$Composer

This new CLCOMPOSER tag would then be referenced in the Title's display format:

Title.displayFormat={$clcomposer^^ • $title^$movementnumber^: ^. $movement}

This way, only Classical items would show the composer in the Title field.

Could we see tag names processed thus on the right side of the equals sign in a future update of MinimServer??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Feature Request: Tag Update Tag Referencing - qblack - 05-09-2017 11:18