Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch Slow and Erratic Scanning
16-04-2020, 19:45
Minimwatch Slow and Erratic Scanning
Hi, today my minimwatch started to run really slowly after using it perfectly for a couple of years. The server is unaffected running a local rescan.
When running a rescan via minimwatch it now slows the laptop and stalls the log file jumping forward stopping and starting. I have from a process of elimination found that if I close down Malwarebytes Minimwatch then runs as normal. I have not just installed Malwarebytes and have also run this for years.
What the problem actually is I don't know. I have tried adding Minimwatch as an exception in Malwarebytes to no avail. The PC running Minimserver also has Malwarebytes installed.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2020, 23:13
RE: Minimwatch Slow and Erratic Scanning
(16-04-2020 19:45)Stein_Uk Wrote:  I have not just installed Malwarebytes and have also run this for years.
What the problem actually is I don't know. I have tried adding Minimwatch as an exception in Malwarebytes to no avail. The PC running Minimserver also has Malwarebytes installed.
Any ideas?
Cheers

I'll share a similar story with Avast.
It recently updated to a new 'improved' premium version BUT forgot to mention that the network profile defaulted to Public!
I spent a 'happy' Angry few hours trying to figure out why I could no longer access external network devices before I twigged.
Software gets updated and we often take it for granted that we need to do nothing.

Of course, this perhaps does not explain your issue but its food for thought.
17-04-2020, 14:04
Similar issue maybe?

https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=5617
17-04-2020, 16:22
Still running slow with Malwarebytes turned on, it does connect and scan but takes a long time with the log file pausing and then jumping forwards. The pc runs really slowly while rescanning making it difficult to control the mouse. Once the scan has finished the pc returns to normal and the Server restarts correctly. Like I said in my OP with malwarebytes turned off rescans are perfect with no slowing of the pc. Baffled Sad
Thanks for the advise so far
Thanks
19-04-2020, 21:42
Your mention of the log file provides an important clue. Some antivirus programs check network data streamed to a program. When you have the log window open during a rescan, the log info is being streamed from MinimServer to MinimWatch and Malwarebytes might be checking this data.

You can try rescanning with the log window closed to confirm whether this is the reason for the problem. If it is, you will need to contact Malwarebytes to ask how to designate MinimWatch as a trusted program that is allowed to receive network data without this checking.