Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Announcing MinimServer 2
08-01-2020, 20:23
RE: Announcing MinimServer 2
Re MinimWatch 2, I've just dual-booted my Win 7 PC with a clean Win 10 partition, and having installed Java, I installed MW 2 but on launch, there was no sign of response, i.e. no icon in the system tray. I installed the old MW and that worked fine, so I then installed MW 2 over the top, and then it worked.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2020, 20:39
I haven't seen this myself and I don't know what could cause it. When MinimWatch 2 failed to launch, there mght have been an error message in the minimwatch.log file. This file would be overwritten now that MinimWatch 2 has launched successfully.
09-01-2020, 05:36
(22-12-2019 15:22)simoncn Wrote:  On your specific questions, I am going to resist (for now) the temptation to predict (even approximately) when MinimServer 2 is likely to become available for Synology. Quite a bit of work is needed before this can happen.

Well, the stress is on you: the synology version must be ready before the end of minimstreamer license :-)
09-01-2020, 08:17
The MinimStreamer 0.8 license could be extended if necessary but I don't expect this will happen. Smile
16-01-2020, 11:22
BTW @simon why don't you put a link to the new Minim2 page on the original page? You link back to minimserver from ms2, but not from the "old" version to the new one.
16-01-2020, 18:08 (This post was last modified: 16-01-2020 18:10 by simoncn.)
Thanks for this. I agree that this link would be useful. It is there now.
17-01-2020, 18:21
One thing which is not clear to me: if minimserver can now be configured using a web interface, what is the purpose of minimwatch ?
17-01-2020, 22:10
(17-01-2020 18:21)lyapounov Wrote:  One thing which is not clear to me: if minimserver can now be configured using a web interface, what is the purpose of minimwatch ?

I think the idea is that it becomes obsolete.
18-01-2020, 15:46
At present, some configuration actions are performed using the configuration web page and some are performed using MinimWatch. The goal is for all configuration actions to be available from the web page. When this is possible, most MinimServer users will not need to use MinimWatch.

MinimWatch may still be useful in some cases because it provides an effective way to monitor multiple instances of MinimServer and also has advanced logging facilities which can be useful for diagnosing certain problems.
20-01-2020, 10:29
Hi Simon,

Bit late with my comments and replies:

I use both Minimserver and Minimstreamer - on a Synology NAS with a Yamaha Musiccast set-up.

Minimserver works very very well with the Musiccast App - in fact, much much better than the Synology Media Server software package - its much quicker and has allowed me to tweak the options to select from within the Musiccast app - I have Genre, Year, Decade in addition to Album and Artist (because, unfortunately Musiccast doesn't allow a simple search) - so I couldn't be without it.

I use Minimstreamer to transcode FLAC to wav - as some of my older Yamaha gear doesn't like FLAC and also to transcode/stream the BBC high definition radio stations - so again I couldn't do without this either.

I have donated to you, but would have no issue whatsoever in having to purchase/subscribe at the type of costs you have shown in this thread, once you had the Synology version up and running. It still represents exceptionally good value for money in my opinion.

I did (and still do) find the setting up of Minimserver a bit difficult to fathom - when I change things its sometimes takes a few goes and I've actually done most of my 'simple' tweaks by picking up from what others have done in the forum - so I would see you getting much more take up if you could build an interface thats a bit less 'techie' in its ways and working.

I look forward to seeing the Synology versions!!

Thanks,

Steve