Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
minimserver buffer
10-06-2019, 10:51
minimserver buffer
i use audiolinux with minimserver and my music's storage is NAS.
Is any way to increase minim buffer on local disk ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2019, 21:01
RE: minimserver buffer
Which buffer precisely do you want to increase and what benefit do you hope to achieve by doing this?
11-06-2019, 22:22
(10-06-2019 21:01)simoncn Wrote:  Which buffer precisely do you want to increase and what benefit do you hope to achieve by doing this?

I would like to have whole file in server memory transfered from NAS before send to media renderer. I would like to check if it improves sound quality
12-06-2019, 06:44 (This post was last modified: 12-06-2019 10:05 by simoncn.)
MinimServer does not provide this option and I don't have any plans to add it. The time it takes to read the file into memory would mean you need to wait at least several seconds (perhaps much longer) before each song is played. It would also make gapless play impossible.
12-06-2019, 20:03
(11-06-2019 22:22)domdas Wrote:  
(10-06-2019 21:01)simoncn Wrote:  Which buffer precisely do you want to increase and what benefit do you hope to achieve by doing this?

I would like to have whole file in server memory transfered from NAS before send to media renderer. I would like to check if it improves sound quality
Given that the audio file data arriving at the media renderer is itself buffered at its network input and will be exactly the same, regardless of how it's buffered before being sent over the network by the server - I'm curious to know what you believe could possibly be affecting the renderer's playback sound quality, not to mention that it's the renderer that decodes the audio file data entirely on its own in the first place?
12-06-2019, 20:40
I think there is a small possibility that simultaneous disk I/O and network I/O on the server could transmit slightly more noise or jitter down the Ethernet cable than would be transmitted without disk I/O. I think the effect would be very small (if it exists) and I see no practical way of avoiding it.