Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anamoly loading album cover art in Marantz NR1506
02-04-2019, 19:31
Anamoly loading album cover art in Marantz NR1506
I have MinimServer and my album collection located on a Synology NAS. I have two control points. One is foobar2000 on my computer. The other is a Marantz NR1506. Both are connected by ethernet cables.

When I select an album to play using the Marantz interface, inevitably the album cover art that is loaded with the first track is wrong. This is to say the album cover art belongs to some other album. The second track and subsequent tracks all have the correct album cover art loaded with them.

I have tested the Marantz with albums I have not played previously. I did this in order to see if the incorrect album cover art was being pulled from a cache on the Marantz. It does not appear to be: The same anomaly occurs when loading even previously unplayed albums, and the incorrect album cover art may also taken from an unplayed album, so I'm pretty sure that the problem is not strictly related to an incorrect caching on the Marantz. (The cache on the Marantz is a problem to clear. I know of no way to do it that does not clear every setting on the receiver - essentially doing a factory reset.)

....as to the foobar2000 control point. This works fine. There is no "mix up" of album cover art. When I play an album, the correct album cover art is associated with every track on the album.

So it appears that the problem is connected to how the Marantz is reading the minimServer data.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks very much for your kind attention. Confused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2019, 22:00
RE: Anamoly loading album cover art in Marantz NR1506
I haven't seen anything like this before. Is your artwork embedded in the audio files or is it in folder.jpg files?
02-04-2019, 23:11
(02-04-2019 22:00)simoncn Wrote:  I haven't seen anything like this before. Is your artwork embedded in the audio files or is it in folder.jpg files?

There is a mixture. Each of my album's folders contain a folder.jpg file. I think that some of the .flac containers (my stuff is about 95% .flac, the rest .mp3 and a .wav or two) will contain embedded files, but I don't know how to check.

My most recent rips have been done with dbPoweramp, modified as necessary with PerfectTunes. I don't know what those programs do with album cover art.

Can you tell me where to find instructions as to how to inspect a flac container to see if cover art is there or not?

Sorry, that answer is not very helpful, I know.
03-04-2019, 06:53
(02-04-2019 23:11)david12 Wrote:  
(02-04-2019 22:00)simoncn Wrote:  I haven't seen anything like this before. Is your artwork embedded in the audio files or is it in folder.jpg files?

There is a mixture. Each of my album's folders contain a folder.jpg file. I think that some of the .flac containers (my stuff is about 95% .flac, the rest .mp3 and a .wav or two) will contain embedded files, but I don't know how to check.

My most recent rips have been done with dbPoweramp, modified as necessary with PerfectTunes. I don't know what those programs do with album cover art.

Can you tell me where to find instructions as to how to inspect a flac container to see if cover art is there or not?

As you have dBPoweramp installed, it's easy to check a file for its contents. Hover the mouse over the file and it will say "Contains: Cover art..." if it does.
PerfectTunes may well also shw it.

I reckon the albums that show the incorrect image on the Marantz probably don't have it embedded. Just a guess.
03-04-2019, 12:40
(03-04-2019 06:53)timster Wrote:  

As you have dBPoweramp installed, it's easy to check a file for its contents. Hover the mouse over the file and it will say "Contains: Cover art..." if it does.

I reckon the albums that show the incorrect image on the Marantz probably don't have it embedded. Just a guess.
03-04-2019, 13:28
(03-04-2019 12:40)david12 Wrote:  
(03-04-2019 06:53)timster Wrote:  

Yes, thanks, upon checking it appears that most of the tracks do contain cover art information.

Looking at the file structure that is cataloged by MinimServer, I do wonder if the Marantz is finding difficulty "seeing through it." (Again, foobar is looking at the same file structure and everything works as it should).

I've attached a screenshot from Windows Explorer.

As you can see, some of the folders actually show the cover art. I don't know why this is so. The 'Bob Dylan' folder (circled) contains four albums. To have attached a particular cover's art to the folder would have been an error. All the Dylan albums were ripped from CDs.

On the other hand, the 'Beethoven_Bagatelles_and_Dances_Vol_1' (to the left of 'Bob Dylan') was a download; it was not a ripped. The Marantz shows the cover art for the first (and subsequent) tracks of the 'Beethoven' correctly.

So, wild guess here, the Marantz is somehow confused by the way the folder structure is presented in MinimServer.

Another point. Synology's native "Media Server" application does not have this difficulty on the Marantz. Album art displays correctly. I prefer to use MinimServer because it allows me to search on "composer" which is really important when searching through jazz and classical recordings as you know. I also intend to experiment with some of MinimServers sort features, but I have made no changes to MinimServer's settings yet. To that end, it seems like the Marantz struggles with the ';' delimiter. I get better results when I us '\\' when ripping. Just sayin'.

Anyway, thanks very much for your time and consideration.
03-04-2019, 15:57
You're looking at the folder view, through Windows. So the icon presented depends on whether there's a jpg in that folder or not, and what Windows decides to use as the folder icon. Your Bob Dylan folder I presume only contains other folders so Windows only displays the folder icon. If you went into that folder, you'll probably see each album folder with the appropriate image.
The Beethoven folder probably has only the tracks (and perhaps a folder.jpg) in it.
This probably has little if anything to do with how the Marantz displays things.
03-04-2019, 23:02
You should use '\\' rather than ';' to separate multiple values (if viewing the tag value with Mp3tag) because the former indicates that there are multiple values encoded in a way that complies with tagging standards. MinimServer doesn't recognise ';' as a value separator because doing this would contravene tagging standards.

To make progress in solving the album art problem, I suggest you find an album that shows the problem and look at the album folder and all the album tracks to see how the artwork for this album is represented. Also, if you have an album that doesn't show the problem, look at the album folder and all the album tracks to see how the artwork for this album is represented.
04-04-2019, 12:11
(03-04-2019 06:53)timster Wrote:  I reckon the albums that show the incorrect image on the Marantz probably don't have it embedded. Just a guess.
David, this is the key thing here, I am not clear if you understand the difference between images being stored in the audio files themselves and separate image files (e.g folder.jpg) stored in the album folder. The key thing to do is check if there is a difference here between the albums that work and the albums that do not.

Just about any tag editor software should show whether there are images embedded in the files themselves.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-04-2019, 23:20
Lightbulb RE: Anamoly loading album cover art in Marantz NR1506
First, thank you for your kind replies.

I have been in touch with Marantz tech support. The problem of incorrect artwork being associated with a music file is, according to them:

Quote:Regarding the issue, the Album Art should never be wrong. I can understand that there may be no Album Art for certain FLAC files just based on the unit's capacity to read FLAC, but you should either see the correct Art or no Art at all. In fact, with most of the FLAC files (if they're over 96 kHz) you most likely wouldn't see any Album Art at all.

Well OK, but the album art is not missing; it is wrong. Sad . The vast majority of my FLAC files have been straight rips from redbook CDs.

I think that many audio companies, like Marantz, have struggled with incorporating file management into their audio products. Many higher end units simply avoid the problem by forcing the file management to take place in some other device that lies between the amplifier and the digital stream. Marantz in its NR1506 tried (an updated model, the NR 1509, is now available) to offer an economical product that does it all. And honestly, aside from this, it has worked pretty well.

But I've now come to think that the problem is with the metadata handling features and capabilities of the Marantz.

Thank you, again, for the time you have spent to answer my question.