Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FLAC Files with the "≫" Character in File Name Won't Play
07-01-2019, 16:38
RE: FLAC Files with the ">" Character in File Name Won't Play
So - just because I've been following the thread - would flac:wav24 without the semicolon also cure the problem? Or can't Minimserver transcode without ffmpeg on the Melco?

I don't have one myself, but it's one of those things I keep looking at when I'm flush. Although, I always end up upgrading something else instead... Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2019, 17:34
Yes, flac:wav24 would work OK with 0.8.5.2 on the Melco, but it is always good to be on the latest version. Smile
07-01-2019, 18:05
Indeed it is. Smile
08-01-2019, 02:42 (This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 03:14 by GreenMtnGringo.)
Hi Simon, thanks very much. I do not know how the "right-pointing double angle quotation mark" Unicode character '»' got into my FLAC file names. I believe you that they're there, but I would not know how to type '»' if I wanted to (I didn't type it here ... I simply copied and pasted it from your post, above!). As best as I can recall, I used the '>' character on a USA QWERTY keyboard (the one above the period). Maybe my FLAC tagging software (Mp3tag) is the culprit? In any event, I will try updating to 0.8.5.4, see what happens, and report back here. Thanks again, I greatly appreciate it!

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
08-01-2019, 05:18 (This post was last modified: 08-01-2019 05:21 by GreenMtnGringo.)
UPDATE: I just updated from MinimServer 0.8.5.2 to 0.8.5.4, set my stream.transcode setting back to "flac:wav24;" (without the quotes) and tried two FLAC files with a '»' character in the file name. I am happy to report that all is well now with file playback!

One potential wrinkle is a new "resource not available" warning in red text that I receive when I check for MinimServer updates (see attached screen shot). Simon, is this anything to be concerned about? Thanks very much.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
08-01-2019, 09:24
The "resource not available message" is fixed now. Thanks for letting me know about this.

It is likely that your ripping or tagging software is translating > to » automatically in filenames because > isn't a valid character for filenames on some platforms.
08-01-2019, 14:09
Thanks, Simon ... great detective work and product support.

24-01-2021, 15:14 (This post was last modified: 26-01-2021 14:39 by GreenMtnGringo.)
Hi Simon, and belated happy New Year. I am greatly enjoying MinimServer 2. Unfortunately, in my system, an issue that you resolved in MinimServer 0.8 appears to have crept back in, namely a problem with FLAC files containing a "right-pointing double angle quotation mark" a/k/a Unicode character '».'

This time around, instead of not playing (see my posts in this thread, above), these files are simply not showing up in MinimServer 2 folder view or album view. for instance, CD11 of the Grateful Dead's 11-CD box set, May 1977: Get Shown the Light contains seven tracks. I ripped all seven tracks in order, and tracks #s 01 to 05 contain the Unicode character in question (please see the attached screenshot of the macOS Finder view of the CD11 folder on the external hard drive where the backup of the CD rip is stored). However, when I use MinimServer folder view via Linn Kazoo for macOS, only tracks #s 06 and 07 are displayed (please see the attached screenshot). Likewise, these same two files are the only ones displayed when I use Auralic Lightning DS for iPad.

In short, the first five numbered files are 'invisible' in MinimServer 2, and therefore unplayable.

I am not sure when this issue arose in MinimServer 2. I am on the latest version for Melco (v2.0.16, Update 180). I could rename all my files containing the Unicode character, but there are a lot of these files, and I am hoping you can work your magic once again. Thanks in advance, and please let me know if you would like additional info/screenshots.

24-01-2021, 16:36
RE: FLAC Files with the "≫" Character in File Name Won't Play
I tried changing one filename on the Melco to include this character. After a rescan, the file is shown in Kazoo for Mac and plays without any problems.

Perhaps the problem is not caused by this character in the filename but by some other issue. Have you checked the MinimServer log for error messages?
24-01-2021, 19:14
RE: FLAC Files with the "≫" Character in File Name Won't Play
Hi Simon, and thanks for trying to recreate the issue I described in my prior post. I found the following entries in the log:

Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD10 - Buffalo/01 - Bertha ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD10 - Buffalo/01 - Bertha ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/01 - Estimated Prophet ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/01 - Estimated Prophet ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/02 - The Other One ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/02 - The Other One ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/03 - Drums ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/03 - Drums ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/04 - Not Fade Away ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/04 - Not Fade Away ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/05 - Comes A Time ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD11 - Buffalo/05 - Comes A Time ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD2 - New Haven/03 - Scarlet Begonias ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD2 - New Haven/03 - Scarlet Begonias ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD2 - New Haven/04 - Fire On The Mountain ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD2 - New Haven/04 - Fire On The Mountain ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD2 - New Haven/06 - St. Stephen ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD2 - New Haven/06 - St. Stephen ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD3 - Boston/07 - Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD3 - Boston/07 - Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD5 - Boston/01 - Eyes Of The World ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD5 - Boston/01 - Eyes Of The World ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD5 - Boston/02 - Drums ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD5 - Boston/02 - Drums ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD5 - Boston/03 - The Wheel ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD5 - Boston/03 - The Wheel ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD5 - Boston/04 - Wharf Rat ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD5 - Boston/04 - Wharf Rat ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD6 - Cornell/07 - Lazy Lightning ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD6 - Cornell/07 - Lazy Lightning ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD7 - Cornell/02 - Scarlet Begonias ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD7 - Cornell/02 - Scarlet Begonias ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD8 - Cornell/01 - St. Stephen ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD8 - Cornell/01 - St. Stephen ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD8 - Cornell/02 - Not Fade Away ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD8 - Cornell/02 - Not Fade Away ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD8 - Cornell/03 - St. Stephen ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD8 - Cornell/03 - St. Stephen ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD9 - Buffalo/01 - Help On The Way ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD9 - Buffalo/01 - Help On The Way ».flac
Warning: error scanning file '/mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD9 - Buffalo/02 - Slipknot! ».flac': java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException: /mnt/disk1/share/Grateful Dead - May 1977 ~ Get Shown The Light/CD9 - Buffalo/02 - Slipknot! ».flac