Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Truncated Flac File
20-10-2018, 10:16
Truncated Flac File
I have a 16 minute 27 second Flac file on my NAS drive that plays perfectly well in JRiver Media Centre on the computer but when using MinimServer through the Naim app on my iPod it is truncated to 15.32. It quickly fades at that point and then plays the next track. Any idea as to what the problem might be, please?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2018, 10:28 (This post was last modified: 20-10-2018 10:29 by chris53.)
RE: Truncated Flac File
I seem to have solved this myself, I was Transcoding everything to 24 bit 384k WAV using MinimStreamer. I reverted to (in this case) 16 bit 44.1K and it now shows the full-length file. Very strange though. Sorry for that.
20-10-2018, 10:47
Transcoding to 24-bit 384k WAV causes the stream to reach a size of 2 GB after 15 minutes and 32 seconds. The maximum size of a WAV file is 4 GB but some players don't handle this correctly and are limited to 2 GB.
20-10-2018, 12:18
(20-10-2018 10:47)simoncn Wrote:  Transcoding to 24-bit 384k WAV causes the stream to reach a size of 2 GB after 15 minutes and 32 seconds. The maximum size of a WAV file is 4 GB but some players don't handle this correctly and are limited to 2 GB.

Thank you Simon, maybe I will just change that to Transcode from Flac To WAV without the 384k.
20-10-2018, 12:53
There is little or no advantage in transcoding to a higher sample rate than the original file as transcoding can't add information that isn't present in the original. Transcoding to a higher bit depth can improve sound quality with some players, so I suggest you try flac:wav24.
20-10-2018, 14:22
I thought I had read somewhere that it was a good idea to set the sample rate at the highest level that your equipment could handle. Maybe that was someone's opinion rather than a fact. Anyway I will take your advice and set it to flac:wav24. Thanks again.
20-10-2018, 14:42
Perhaps you read that it is a good idea to set the bit depth to the highest level that the equipment can handle, e.g., in this section:

For best sound quality, it is recommended that you use the output sample bit depth that matches the maximum capabilty of your music player. For example, if your music player is a Linn DS, the best match is wav24. Results may vary with different types of music player.
20-10-2018, 15:13
Ahh yes, It looks as though I may have misinterpreted bit depth for sample rate.