Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Configuration Backup
06-09-2018, 11:44
Configuration Backup
Hi

Apologies if this has been asked before but a quick search didn't thrown anything up. Is there a way to back up the Minimserver configuration (Windows 10) and also any way to back up the library. My suspicions are that I would have to copy the MinimServer folder from /username/AppData but just thought I'd ask in case there's a better way.

DDJ Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-09-2018, 12:13
RE: Configuration Backup
When you say backup the library, do you mean all your music? If you haven't already and your music is stored on the internal drive, do it now. Probably best to do a scheduled backup using Backup & Restore (the old Windows 7 way) to an external drive, and select your music folders. Then put the drive in a safe until next time. Then attach another drive to your PC and do File History backups.
06-09-2018, 12:18
(06-09-2018 12:13)timster Wrote:  When you say backup the library, do you mean all your music? If you haven't already and your music is stored on the internal drive, do it now. Probably best to do a scheduled backup using Backup & Restore (the old Windows 7 way) to an external drive, and select your music folders. Then put the drive in a safe until next time. Then attach another drive to your PC and do File History backups.

Thanks for the quick reply Timster....the media is backed up fairly regularly. I'm talking about the data MinimServer creates after it has scanned your entire library (tags, audioquality, folderpaths, album covers etc. etc.). Perhaps "catalogue" would be a better description?

DDJ
06-09-2018, 12:32
(06-09-2018 12:18)ddjksa Wrote:  
(06-09-2018 12:13)timster Wrote:  When you say backup the library, do you mean all your music? If you haven't already and your music is stored on the internal drive, do it now. Probably best to do a scheduled backup using Backup & Restore (the old Windows 7 way) to an external drive, and select your music folders. Then put the drive in a safe until next time. Then attach another drive to your PC and do File History backups.

Thanks for the quick reply Timster....the media is backed up fairly regularly. I'm talking about the data MinimServer creates after it has scanned your entire library (tags, audioquality, folderpaths, album covers etc. etc.). Perhaps "catalogue" would be a better description?

DDJ

Ahh, that stuff. database would be a better word. I presume it will all be backed up with your regular backup, but there probably isn't much use in backing it up anyway. All it takes is a restart of minim to rebuild it - assuming the configuration is as it was.
So yes, it would be useful to be able to export the configuration for backup purposes. But it is accessible for you (not so lucky here on a NAS).
/user/AppData/Roaming/MinimServer/Data/minimserver.config
06-09-2018, 14:44
(06-09-2018 12:32)timster Wrote:  
(06-09-2018 12:18)ddjksa Wrote:  

DDJ

Ahh, that stuff. database would be a better word. I presume it will all be backed up with your regular backup, but there probably isn't much use in backing it up anyway. All it takes is a restart of minim to rebuild it - assuming the configuration is as it was.
So yes, it would be useful to be able to export the configuration for backup purposes. But it is accessible for you (not so lucky here on a NAS).
/user/AppData/Roaming/MinimServer/Data/minimserver.config

Thanks for the reply. You're quite right...database is a much better description. The reason I wanted to know about backing it up is for ease of, for example, copying my minim server to another PC without having to do a full rescan of the external HDD where my media is stored.
06-09-2018, 18:07
Do not copy the minimserver.config file to another machine. This will cause you to have strange problems. I would also not recommend copying any of the other files. Just do the rescan overnight and be happy that everything will work as intended.
07-09-2018, 11:30
(06-09-2018 18:07)simoncn Wrote:  Do not copy the minimserver.config file to another machine. This will cause you to have strange problems. I would also not recommend copying any of the other files. Just do the rescan overnight and be happy that everything will work as intended.

Thanks Simon....clear advice Smile. Loving the speed and ease of use of your product. Thanks again for a great job.

DDJ