Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Log file location feature request.
20-07-2018, 19:47
Log file location feature request.
Simon:

Regarding the Qnap /Public directory location for the 'out' and 'diagnostic' log files, is there a chance that you could either:

Add a configurable path for these, or have the option to use the directory path derived from the custom entry in the .logFile field?

Thanks,
Pete.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2018, 20:59
RE: Log file location feature request.
(20-07-2018 19:47)BlueDog Wrote:  Simon:

Regarding the Qnap /Public directory location for the 'out' and 'diagnostic' log files, is there a chance that you could either:

Add a configurable path for these, or have the option to use the directory path derived from the custom entry in the .logFile field?

Thanks,
Pete.

Does the following not apply to the Qnap?

MinimServer writes logging messages to a log file. This can be useful for status monitoring and problem determination. By default, the log file is named minimserver.log and is located in the MinimServer data directory (for QNAP installations, the default location is /share/Public). The name and location of the log file can be changed using the .logFile property as described on the MinimServer properties page.
21-07-2018, 07:41 (This post was last modified: 21-07-2018 07:42 by BlueDog.)
(20-07-2018 20:59)Alandbush Wrote:  Does the following not apply to the Qnap?

MinimServer writes logging messages to a log file. This can be useful for status monitoring and problem determination. By default, the log file is named minimserver.log and is located in the MinimServer data directory (for QNAP installations, the default location is /share/Public). The name and location of the log file can be changed using the .logFile property as described on the MinimServer properties page.

No, that setting only appears to apply to minimserver.log and not the other two log files written to /Public after a shutdown or crash.
21-07-2018, 09:26
What "other two log files" are you referring to?
21-07-2018, 11:20 (This post was last modified: 21-07-2018 12:39 by BlueDog.)
(21-07-2018 09:26)simoncn Wrote:  What "other two log files" are you referring to?

These two:

They seem to be generated whenever the NAS is restarted.

Edit: Confirmed after a quick squint at /etc/init.d/minimserver.sh - minimserver-out.log is created on startup and the tarball on shutdown, the paths are hardcoded.
21-07-2018, 21:01
These files are produced to help with diagnosing any issues with MinimServer not running correctly. If MinimServer is running normally, they can be ignored. These files need to be in a location that is easily accessible by non-technical users. Is there a problem with having them in the Public share?
21-07-2018, 21:52
It's a minor annoyance in that I have to delete them manually as I use the Public share as a proper Public share and I'd rather not have them in there for all to see.

That's why I used the .logfile option to relocate the minimserver.log, I had hoped those two files would follow the same path.
25-07-2018, 11:59
I understand the issue but I don't see any simple way to provide a user-settable option for this that could be read by the startup script. Both these files are created by the startup script, not by the MinimServer program.
30-07-2018, 11:25
Simon, sorry for the late reply - I've been a tad busy the past few days.

Yes, I see understand the problem there, thanks for giving it some thought anyway though.

I already have the user autorun.sh script set up on my Qnap so I've just added a line to remove the diagnostic tarball on startup. The only problem being that the autorun.sh script runs before MinimServer starts so minimserver-out.log remains - I'll play with this some more when I have the time.