Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CD Box Sets Playing One At A Time
02-05-2018, 17:08
CD Box Sets Playing One At A Time
Hi Everyone,
Would really appreciate some guidance on my problem playing multi Cd box sets.
Im ripping using DB Power Amp ripping software and storing my ripped music on a NAS.
The problem is that multi CDs will only play one track at a time and I physically have to play each track one by one.
Single CDs play fine.
Any ideas please??
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2018, 18:48 (This post was last modified: 02-05-2018 18:49 by DavidHB.)
RE: CD Box Sets Playing One At A Time
Welcome to the forum. I have four questions

1. What folder structure are you using for your box sets? Are you putting all the discs in the same folder, or do you have a sub-folder for each disc?

2. Do all the discs have the correct disc and track numbers? If you don't know, please use a metadata editing prigram (such as MP3Tag on the PC) to find out.

3. Do all the tracks of each set have the same Album name?

4. If, on the top level menu page, you scroll down to and select Folder View, can you select a folder which is (or is in) a box set normally?

Like other servers, MinimServer uses tags to define what it means by 'Album'. This is explained in the "Albums and Folders" section of this page of the User Guide. Note that at the end of the section, there is a link to the section on Multidisc albums, which you will also find relevant.

One point that catches some people out is that all tracks on an album must have the same AlbumArtist value (or all have that value left blank). Tracks can have different Artist values however. If your problem box sets are compilations, this could be your issue.

David.
02-05-2018, 20:38
Hello David, thanks for your welcome and your response.
Here goes, I've got a feeling you aint going to like it!

1. I have a File sat in my NAS called FLAC files. Basically I rip a CD which is saved in my music directory on my pc and then I just copy and paste it into the NAS. I dont do anything else. Should I?
2. I think so, I have been looking at that the last few days.
3.Yes
4. Sorry I dont quite get you, are you talking about the top level menu page in my directory called Flac Files?

William
03-05-2018, 00:54 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2018 01:00 by DavidHB.)
(02-05-2018 20:38)winklehoc Wrote:  1. I have a File sat in my NAS called FLAC files. Basically I rip a CD which is saved in my music directory on my pc and then I just copy and paste it into the NAS. I dont do anything else. Should I?

So each disc is in its own folder in the music folder on the PC, and you then copy the folder over to the FLAC files folder on the NAS, which then becomes a chinese copy of the music folder on the PC. FLAC Files is set as the MinimServer Content Directory. Is that correct? If it is, that should be OK.

(02-05-2018 20:38)winklehoc Wrote:  2. I think so, I have been looking at that the last few days.
3.Yes

No obvious problems there, then.When, in your Control Point you look at a box set Album in the Albums list, does it show all the tracks, or just the one track that plays?

(02-05-2018 20:38)winklehoc Wrote:  4. Sorry I don't quite get you, are you talking about the top level menu page in my directory called Flac Files?

No. This always seems to cause confusion. Generally, MinimServer is not using the folder structure. What you see in your Control Point is the top level of the MinimServer index, allowing you to select music by Artist, Album Name or whatever. However, there is an entry at the bottom of the list called '[folder view]' This is a normal directory listing by folders and files with your Content Directory at the top level, and allows you to select music by file name rather than by tag. Can you see and use this entry in your Control Point? Could you also say which Control Point you are using?

David
03-05-2018, 07:33
David,
1. I hope so, thats where you point minimserver too when reinstalling the software, isnt it. How can I check?
2. How do I access control point? I know nothing about this!

William
03-05-2018, 14:20
David,
Ok, my control point is Naim App.
Yes I can select folder view. All the box set Files are showing their cover artwork.
03-05-2018, 14:20 (This post was last modified: 03-05-2018 14:21 by DavidHB.)
Right. In a streaming system, you have three primary components, all of them a combination of hardware and software, that are networked together:
  • The player, also called the renderer;
  • the server, which is your NAS with MinimServer on it, where your music is stored;
  • the Control Point, which is whatever device you use to select and play your music, for example (in my case) BubbleDS on my Android tablet or Kazoo on my PC.
Note that some players use a normal IR remote and an LCD screen on the player to select the music; in such cases, the Control Point is integrated with the player.

When you installed MinimServer on yoor NAS, you should also have installed its control program MinimWatch on your PC. This puts an Minim icon (which should be green) in your system tray. Right-click on this icon, select Properties from the menu and you will see a property called contentDir which stores the path to your music library.

If all that's clear and working as advertised, you should be able to answer the remaining questions.

David
03-05-2018, 14:51
Could you do a screenshot (from MP3Tag or similar) showing the values for

DiscNo
TrackNo
Album

for a couple of discs

and then another screenshot showing the filepath as seen by Windows Explorer. (Just in case you don't know you can use Cntl-PrintScreen and then Cntl-V to paste a screenshot)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2018, 15:47
I could not 'screen print' into the message box, please see attachments

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

03-05-2018, 15:51
Thats very clear, thank you.
Yes the ContDir is pointing to my Flac files.