Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer-0.8.5.3-readynas-x86.bin File Size
14-04-2018, 11:16
MinimServer-0.8.5.3-readynas-x86.bin File Size
Hello,
Is there some subtle reason why the 0.8.5.3 of the ReadyNAS x86 server file is 15,486 KB, when the 0.8.4 version is 1,926 KB and the 0.8.3 version was 1,836 KB?
Dare I suggest that such a large change looks a bit like an error?
I have downloaded twice.

The new file won't install so I have reinstalled the 084 version.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2018, 20:15
RE: MinimServer-0.8.5.3-readynas-x86.bin File Size
Please see point 3 of the "Installing or updating MinimServer" section on this page for an explanation of why the file size is larger.

What exactly happened when you tried to install version 0.8.5.3?
15-04-2018, 17:42
(14-04-2018 20:15)simoncn Wrote:  Please see point 3 of the "Installing or updating MinimServer" section on this page for an explanation of why the file size is larger.

What exactly happened when you tried to install version 0.8.5.3?

Thank you.
Problem eventually resolved.

I had not noticed point 3 - indeed, as I have previously updated minim server and thought I knew how to do it, I just went ahead and tried to install the update.
What happened? Nothing. The little spinning symbol spun for a long time (hours) to no effect. It did not get as far as the usual step of saying it had checked the update and asking if I wanted to install. I had tried several times, including after rebooting the NAS.

But I have now succeeded using a more thorough approach to removing the old version.
I uninstalled MinServ (with some initial difficulty, ReadyNAS menu commands not responding well), then EJRE, then switched the ReadyNAS off manually using the power button, count to twenty, restart the NAS, then try installing MinServ - and it has worked. It seems the forced reboot was necessary to properly clear MinServ & EJRE. I found I had to use manual power off as the menu shutdown option was ineffective some of the time.

May I suggest a short note on the download page to alert people that things changed with 0.8.5.3? I had thought I knew how to update.

After nearly nine years of faithful service, this ReadyNAS NVX is sometimes behaving oddly and I am in the process of installing a Synology 918+ and copying everything there.

Thanks for your help - and thanks for Minim Server & Watch..
16-04-2018, 21:39
The ReadyNAS add-on installer can be quite temperamental. Sometimes using a different browser improves things. The normal update procedure should have worked despite the packaging difference, although this would have resulted in EJRE still being installed.

For reasons of space, the Downloads page intentionally doesn't include installation instructions or release notes. These are on the Installing page (with changes marked as [NEW]) and the Release Notes page (see this section).