Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limit of 65000 folders
05-09-2019, 09:31
RE: Limit of 65000 folders
In my previous post, I might not have been clear enough about the expected timescale for implementation and delivery of a long-term solution. This will not happen in the immediate future, so whatever workaround you implement will need to suffice for a while.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-09-2019, 23:24 (This post was last modified: 05-09-2019 23:25 by AndrewS.)
(05-09-2019 09:31)simoncn Wrote:  In my previous post, I might not have been clear enough about the expected timescale for implementation and delivery of a long-term solution. This will not happen in the immediate future, so whatever workaround you implement will need to suffice for a while.

That's very understandable. I wasn't anticipating an imminent solution. I'm happy to workaround until at some point in future, you advise an upgrade.

I've little idea of the coding and considerations involved, but they sound significant, and from what you've done with the software to date, I imagine you'll want to take your time and get it right.

To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised that, unlike so often when one contacts a support team and gets a disappointing, 'that's the product, we've no plans to change it', response, you've replied positively.

So I wish you well with it, and look forward to a solution - 'in due course'. Smile

A
08-04-2020, 05:18
Hi Simon,
is there a solution for the 65k folder limit right now? I also reached the limit and looking for a resolution?
Is it possible to have two instances of minim on Synology?

Regards Juergen
08-04-2020, 08:29
A temporary workaround might be this...

Put all mp3 files in a directory marked MP3
All the rest in FLAC

Install Minim and say, Twonky. run the both
Use Twonky to serve up the mp3 files (SQ not so important0
And Minim for the good stuff

Donuk beautiful downtown York
08-04-2020, 09:14 (This post was last modified: 08-04-2020 09:14 by simoncn.)
Which model of Synology NAS is this? If it supports Docker containers, you might be able to run a second instance of MinmServer in a Docker container.
15-04-2020, 21:05
(08-04-2020 09:14)simoncn Wrote:  Which model of Synology NAS is this? If it supports Docker containers, you might be able to run a second instance of MinmServer in a Docker container.
I use a 1817+ an I had tested the docker version. But the docker version is very slow and also the sound qualitity is not as good as by the native Minimserver on my synology.
Would Minim2 have the limit in future?
15-04-2020, 22:23
I think this limit needs to be removed or increased. There are two possible solutions:

1) Allow up to 65000 folders for each content directory (there can be up to 8 of these)

2) Remove the limit or increase it very substantially

The first is more complex to implement and less convenient for the user but could significantly reduce how much extra memory is used on smaller devices. (This won't affect you with a DS1817+.)

I will do further investigation and then decide which of these to implement.
16-04-2020, 09:07
(15-04-2020 22:23)simoncn Wrote:  1) Allow up to 65000 folders for each content directory (there can be up to 8 of these)

Hi Simon,
this would be a very good and easy workaround.
Can I see how many folders Minimserver had find?
I don't think that I really reached the limit, but I get the 65k folder error message.
16-04-2020, 11:01
If you did not really reach the limit (which would require perhaps 500,000 files in your library), this means you are scanning folders that don't contain any audio files. You should be able to fix this by changing your contentDir settings.

MinimServer removes any folder subtree that does not contain audio files but before it can do this it needs to scan all the way to the bottom of the subtree to make sure no audio fies are there. It sounds like this scan to the bottom of the tree is the cause of the problem you are seeing.

For example, for this folder structure:

folder A
folder A/audio file 1
folder A/folder B
folder A/folder B/folder C
folder A/folder B/folder C/folder D
folder A/folder B/folder C/folder D/folder E

it is possible that E might contain audio files, so MinimServer needs to scan B, C, D and E to make sure. While MinimServer is doing this (for a very large number of subfolders), it could hit the 65000 limit.

After confirming that B, C, D and E don't contain audio files, they are removed from MinimServer's view of the library and no longer count towards the limit.

The fix is arrange your folder structure so that (as far as possible) only folders that contain audio files are included under your contentDir folders.

To see what folders are causing this limit to be reached, set the MinimServer logging level to Verbose before starting the scan. The Verbose setting shows all folders that are being scanned.
17-04-2020, 07:37
Hi,

no I have only directories with music files.
But in the music-files-folder are additional folders like artwork folders for example. Are the artwork folders as subfolder of musicfolders also countet?

/volume/music/pop
/volume/music/classical

/volume/music/pop/artist A/xxx.flac
/volume/music/pop/artist A/Artwork/xxx.jpg (no musicfiles inside)