Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to ignore some composers
17-03-2018, 09:29
RE: How to ignore some composers
What exactly do you have in the field when you get the error?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-03-2018, 10:26 (This post was last modified: 17-03-2018 10:26 by Uoppi.)
The last I tried was C:\tagUpdate.txt (tagUpdate.txt is correctly in the root folder).
17-03-2018, 13:25
There is more than one sort of red error message if you enter something wrong in the tagUpdate properties box. What is the exact message you are seeing?
18-03-2018, 08:00 (This post was last modified: 18-03-2018 08:01 by Uoppi.)
(17-03-2018 13:25)haggis999 Wrote:  There is more than one sort of red error message if you enter something wrong in the tagUpdate properties box. What is the exact message you are seeing?

It's the same one as posted earlier in this thread: "Must be a filename; correct highlighted value and retry". It's always this error.

Not that I mind terribly, because in the case of classical music, the tweak wouldn't result in any fewer navigation steps for me, given the way I've tagged things. It just would have looked nicer to have my main categories of "Classical" and "Rock/pop/jazz" available straight from the first view.
18-03-2018, 10:10
(18-03-2018 08:00)Uoppi Wrote:  
(17-03-2018 13:25)haggis999 Wrote:  There is more than one sort of red error message if you enter something wrong in the tagUpdate properties box. What is the exact message you are seeing?

It's the same one as posted earlier in this thread: "Must be a filename; correct highlighted value and retry". It's always this error.
It was me that generated the earlier post quoting that error message. In my case, it was caused by accidentally putting my empty tagUpdate file in the wrong location. You appear to have avoided that mistake.

I first hit similar problems when I tried to use a location on my PC rather than on my NAS, where MinimServer is running. Once again, you have confirmed that a PC location is correct in your case, as that's where you run MinimServer.

I've run out of ideas. Simon is now your best bet for a solution, as he is on so many other occasions.
18-03-2018, 13:36
I tried a few things, yesterday, to provoke the error message and failed. Empty files; utf8 or Unicode endcoded files; no problem. Minimserver appears to simply require a file to exist with the same file name to be satisfied.

Please forgive this suggestion, but it may be helpful if you could provide a screen grab of the tagUpdate.txt properties window, i.e. from right-clicking on the file.

[Image: timestampgood.jpg]

ps - and can you also confirm the Window OS.
18-03-2018, 15:49
Following on from this suggestion, the file might actually be named tagUpdate.txt.txt. Windows Explorer omits the file extension by default and would show this file as tagUpdate.txt.
27-08-2018, 22:21
(09-11-2017 12:41)Alandbush Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 18:10)DavidHB Wrote:  You could simply use the browse sequence Genre > Classical > Composer. This requires no tag editing beyond what you already seem to be doing, and no additional property settings.

This is a good suggestion from David but, dare I say, it could be improved with a little more effort.

The following suggestion removes one tag selection step, i.e.
from
Genre > Classical > Composer
to
Classical library > Composer

In short, it creates a new tag with a single value, which is added to the top index.

1) tagUpdate property
add filename and path, if necessary eg. /volume1/music/tagUpdate.txt

2) create above file, in the appropriate directory, containing following lines

@GENRE=Classical
+CLASSICALGENRE=Classical

Optionally, you can also remove the "Classical" entry from the GENRE index

@GENRE=Classical
-GENRE=Classical

I found a couple of "classical" variations among my files.
The tagUpdate file can be used to group them with additional lines

@GENRE=Classique
-GENRE=Classique

3) indexTags property
add CLASSICALGENRE=Classical:Classical library

Hope you find this useful.

This is an outstandingly helpful post - thanks! I can now at last have something that approaches the functionality of multiple libraries. But to go the whole way, it would be great if the following syntax could be suppported, e.g.

@GENRE^=Classical
+GENERALGENRE=General

where "^=" denotes "not equal to". That way I could directly browse non-classical music. Does the tag update functionality accept a "not equal to" operator? And for the item following the =, could we have a list? This could be quite a powerful extension for customising the main index view.
28-08-2018, 21:50
"Not equals" isn't supported. The current "@tagname=value" tests can be implemented very efficiently by looking up each tagged "tagname=value" combination in a hash table constructed from all "@tagname=value" lines. This wouldn't be possible for a "not equals" test.

A list of values would need to be represented as multiple @ lines because there is no list separator character that can't be part of a tag value. This adds complexity and doesn't provide any more functionality than repeating the @ line (and its associated & - + = lines) for each value that you want to match.

I understand the desire for more flexibility in how tagged values are presented to the user when browsing the library. I am interested in exploring ways to provide this flexibility in a future version of MinimServer but it is unlikely that the solution will involve extensions to tagUpdate.
28-08-2018, 22:19
Thanks for taking the time to explain the obstacles. A "not equals" operator would have been a fast track to general browsing of non-classical music without me having to re-do my directory structures (I have multiple sources across the home network). But I appreciate your interest in extending browsing customisation still further.

Likewise, appreciate you explaining the list separator issue, I had not thought of that. My tagupdate.txt file is getting a bit unwieldy and ability to use lists would simplify the file quite a bit. I can always go back to the library and fix the tags at source, but the tagupdate facility is elegant.

In the meantime, I can still create a custom tag that spans most of my non-classical genres to facilitate direct access. Thanks for the ongoing support.