Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CD with multiple discs
01-06-2017, 18:44
CD with multiple discs
Hello,
I apologise if this is answered elsewhere but if it is I couldn't find it.

I have a number of CDs consisting of multiple physical CDs that I want to see as separate discs, eg Arkology which consists of three volumes. When I tag the CDs with an Album tag containing Arkology Disc 1, Arkology Disc 2 and Arkology Disc 3 this works fine. When the Disc n is surrounded by square or round brackets, these are considered as one album: Arkology (Disc 1) etc. sees the album as one log list of tracks. All the CD's contain a Disc Number tag set to 1.

Thanks in advance for any help
Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2017, 19:35
RE: CD with multiple discs
With the (Disc 1) or [Disc 1] suffixes to the Album name, you should indeed see a single list of tracks, bur with numbered disc sub-headings for each disc. If you want to see the individual discs in effect as separate albums, you should give them different names and not use any suffix.

The definition of what constitutes an 'album' for MinimServer's purposes is in the Music Library Section of the User Guide. Information on multi-disc albums is in the Browsing Your Library section. Together, these sections should give you the information you require.

David
02-06-2017, 06:08
Thanks for the reply. I see that my question wasn't very clear: I was looking for a way to circumvent this behaviour without having to go through and re-tag hundreds of CDs.

Is there a channel to request new product features? This should be configurable in the Preferences screen!

Thanks.
02-06-2017, 09:09
(01-06-2017 18:44)jimbo Wrote:  When the Disc n is surrounded by square or round brackets, these are considered as one album: Arkology (Disc 1) etc. sees the album as one log list of tracks. All the CD's contain a Disc Number tag set to 1.

Jim
Jim not sure which way you want to go here.
Do you want each disc of a multi-disc release to always be treated as a separate release, so just use a tag editor to find and replace on the album title to remove the '()' and & []'s

Or are you saying you would want to see Arkology as a single album consisting of three discs, so it is one album within MinimServer but showing the three discs within it. In this case your disc number field is incorrect since it should be set to one for first disc, two for second disc and so on.

You say you don't want to do this all by hand you can fix this all with an automated tagger, these can identify the albums and add the metadata according to the standard. Some have options to let you define if the (disc n of n) should be added to the album name or not. This can be enabled/didsabled easily which in effect toggles MinimServers multidisc album behaviour.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2017, 15:44
(02-06-2017 09:09)paultaylor Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 18:44)jimbo Wrote:  When the Disc n is surrounded by square or round brackets, these are considered as one album: Arkology (Disc 1) etc. sees the album as one log list of tracks. All the CD's contain a Disc Number tag set to 1.

Jim
Jim not sure which way you want to go here.
Do you want each disc of a multi-disc release to always be treated as a separate release, so just use a tag editor to find and replace on the album title to remove the '()' and & []'s

Or are you saying you would want to see Arkology as a single album consisting of three discs, so it is one album within MinimServer but showing the three discs within it. In this case your disc number field is incorrect since it should be set to one for first disc, two for second disc and so on.

You say you don't want to do this all by hand you can fix this all with an automated tagger, these can identify the albums and add the metadata according to the standard. Some have options to let you define if the (disc n of n) should be added to the album name or not. This can be enabled/didsabled easily which in effect toggles MinimServers multidisc album behaviour.

I want to see each disc of a multi-disc release as a separate disc. I must say I didn't realise a tagger could automate the replacement and if that's the case I can live with this.

I still maintain I would like to see a feature to configure which suffixes would be ignored when merging discs into one list.

Many thanks both of you for your answers: I will close the thread and re-post if necessary.