Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handling CD, SACD-Stereo and SACD-Multi versions of same recording
19-06-2017, 11:39
RE: Handling CD, SACD-Stereo and SACD-Multi versions of same recording
(18-06-2017 23:46)haggis999 Wrote:  I assume that DiscSubTitle is a custom tag
FYI this is a standard (but little used) tag at least for ID3 formats such as WAV, AIFF and MP3
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2017, 12:06
My SACDs are ripped as DSF files, but even when editing MP3 files JRiver Media Center never offers the option to set a value for DiscSubTitle. I guess JRiver must either be unaware of this tag, have given it a different name or think that no one ever uses it.

However, the distinction between standard and custom tags is unlikely to be of any significance in the context of this discussion, as MinimServer is happy to accept both.
Find all posts by this user
19-06-2017, 22:51
(18-06-2017 23:46)haggis999 Wrote:  As far as I can see, your suggestion to use a custom DiscSubTitle tag would suffer from the same problem as my DiscType tag if I used only one Album title for each SACD.
Both DiskSubTitle, explained here (intended for Multidisc Albums)
and also the Group tag, explained here (intended for Groups and compositions)
are used by MinimServer to group tracks within albums when it generates the index, while the outcome is a littlebit different which is best to compare yourself. The hierarchy as I believe is
Album
->DiskNumber, DiscSubTitle
-->Group

I don't know about JRiver, I use Kazoo but also other Control Points which all process this very well... I do the tagging with Mp3tag.
Sorry I would, but it's too complicated to insert a screenshot here..
19-06-2017, 22:58
Smile RE: Handling CD, SACD-Stereo and SACD-Multi versions of same recording
(19-06-2017 11:39)paultaylor Wrote:  
(18-06-2017 23:46)haggis999 Wrote:  I assume that DiscSubTitle is a custom tag
FYI this is a standard (but little used) tag at least for ID3 formats such as WAV, AIFF and MP3

I use this in DSF (ID3v2.3) and FLAC... standard or custom, whatever
19-06-2017, 23:19
(19-06-2017 22:51)GalaxyGe Wrote:  Both DiskSubTitle, explained here (intended for Multidisc Albums)
and also the Group tag, explained here (intended for Groups and compositions)
are used by MinimServer to group tracks within albums when it generates the index, while the outcome is a littlebit different which is best to compare yourself. The hierarchy as I believe is
Album
->DiskNumber, DiscSubTitle
-->Group

I wasn't previously aware that Simon had blessed the DiskSubTitle tag with special properties within MinimServer. Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I shall give it a closer look.

I don't have a tag called Group stored in my music files, but a long time ago Simon helped me to make my custom Work tag work in a similar fashion by using specific aliasTags and indexTags settings in my MinimServer configuration (though I don't fully understand how it works).
20-06-2017, 14:47
So if you used the suggestion of using DiscNo and DiscSubtitle then your versions of the same release could be displayed as a single release with 3 discs, each discs representing a different encoding. I think that would sort of work and your album count would be correct, but of course you would have to manually enter the DiscNo, Discsubitle values as you wouldn't be using those fields for their intended use. The other issue is that if you have any genuine multidisc albums that are transcoded you would lose the ability to represent their multidiscness.

Group is simply a way to group a sequence of contiguous tracks on a release and play as a single piece of music, i.e a work.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2017, 23:25
I'm already using DiscNo for its intended purpose and don't wish to lose that information, so it looks like I will have to live with my existing solution for SACDs.
28-02-2018, 18:23 (This post was last modified: 28-02-2018 18:52 by haggis999.)
Hi Simon,
Since this thread reached an end to the discussion 8 months ago, I have ripped quite a few more SACDs in all three formats of CD, Stereo SACD and Multi-channel SACD. In each case, they appear in my Naim control point app as three separate albums (my Minimserver configuration that achieves this result was attached to post #12 in this thread).
  • My new album title [CD]
  • My new album title [SS]
  • My new album title [SM]
It is becoming increasingly obvious that this method is clogging up my Naim interface with a lot of triplicated cover art. The album count is also becoming ever more inflated beyond the correct total.

While this still appears to be the best way of handling triple rips of an SACD within the limits of Minimserver's current design, I would much prefer a new grouping facility that allowed each SACD to initially appear as a single album. Is there any chance that this could be added to your 'Things to do list'?
28-02-2018, 19:08
Would the AlbumSet idea discussed in this thread be a suitable solution?
28-02-2018, 19:38
(28-02-2018 19:08)simoncn Wrote:  Would the AlbumSet idea discussed in this thread be a suitable solution?

The description of how AlbumSet might work that you provided in post #2 of that thread does indeed look like exactly what would resolve my problem.

How close are you to implementing such an idea?