Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please help!!
20-06-2016, 17:08
RE: Please help!!
(20-06-2016 14:40)Atherton Wrote:  David, perhaps I'm blind, but I cannot see the option for 32 or 64 bit static builds on ttps://ffmpeg.org/download.html

Neither can I find ffmpeg.exe amongst the extracted files....

If there's no ffmpeg.exe, you don't have the correct installation. Fortunately, it's easy to remove - just delete the files.

I'd forgotten that the Windows builds of FFMPEG are provided by Zeranoe; the page I was referring to (which is linked to from the FFMPEG main site) is this one. You should download either the 64 bit or 32 bit static build and unzip it; it needs no other installation.

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2016, 17:51 (This post was last modified: 20-06-2016 18:11 by Cebolla.)
(19-06-2016 11:57)Atherton Wrote:  Is there an ABC guide on how to do this? eg, How do I edit a .mu3 file? How do I find what my stream name is? What do I type in the http\\: line? etc etc.

My music files are on a Windows 7 PC, and I'd like to stream them to my Naim NAC-N 272. Control point is an Android tablet running the Naim App.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice...
Isn't this just a misunderstanding by the OP not being aware that MinimStreamer and the .m3u files it uses for network streams are not required, if all that's needed is the ability to simply stream music files (as opposed to network streams) by the Naim NAC-N 272's UPnP renderer from the Windows 7 PC (presumably running MinimServer)?

Or, am I the only one that's confused here?
20-06-2016, 18:13
(20-06-2016 17:51)Cebolla Wrote:  Isn't this just a misunderstanding by the OP not being aware that MinimStreamer and the .mu3 files it uses for network streams are not required, if all that's needed is the ability to simply stream music files (as opposed to network streams) by the Naim NAC-N 272 UPnP renderer from the Windows 7 PC (presumably running MinimServer)?

Atherton has stated the intention both to play radio streams and to transcode. The basic MinimServer installation is stated to be 'working fine', so presumably music files are playing. I agree that the focus of the original questions was open to interpretation, which is why I explained my understanding at the beginning of my first reply. Atherton has not said that this understanding was incorrect.

All of that said, whatever the question is, I hope that we can help answer it.

David
20-06-2016, 18:25
To clarify, my original intention was and still is to transcode. But I understood the way forward to achieve this was to first follow the steps for radio streaming. I will follow David's suggestion for downloading ffmpeg from the site he suggests, and report back..
20-06-2016, 18:41
(20-06-2016 18:25)Atherton Wrote:  To clarify, my original intention was and still is to transcode. But I understood the way forward to achieve this was to first follow the steps for radio streaming.

That would be correct as regards radio streams. For transcoding music files on the server, all you need do is set the stream.transcode property. This requires FFMPEG for most but not all transcoding settings, so would need further explanation (or reading of the User Guide Smile)

David
20-06-2016, 18:46
I downloaded https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/...static.zip

and extracted it to C:/Users/myusername/AppData/Roaming/Minimserver/opt/bin

This created a subfolder named ffmpeg-latest-win32-static

Inside this folder are the 4 further folders: bin, doc, licenses and presets. And there is a Windows batch file, ff-prompt (I have double clicked on this), and a README text document which is gobbledygook to me.

Again I restarted Minimserver, and again no result....

I apologise for the repeated failures, probably something I'm doing, your continued assistance would be greatly appreciated....
20-06-2016, 18:57 (This post was last modified: 20-06-2016 18:58 by Atherton.)
[/quote]

That would be correct as regards radio streams. For transcoding music files on the server, all you need do is set the stream.transcode property. This requires FFMPEG for most but not all transcoding settings, so would need further explanation (or reading of the User Guide Smile)

David
[/quote]

Yes, I understand how to set up a transcode from the User Guide. Do I need ffmpeg installed to transcode Flac to Wav? If so, I am still at base camp here!
20-06-2016, 20:21
(20-06-2016 18:46)Atherton Wrote:  I downloaded https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/...static.zip

and extracted it to C:/Users/myusername/AppData/Roaming/Minimserver/opt/bin

This created a subfolder named ffmpeg-latest-win32-static

Inside this folder are the 4 further folders: bin, doc, licenses and presets. And there is a Windows batch file, ff-prompt (I have double clicked on this), and a README text document which is gobbledygook to me.

Again I restarted Minimserver, and again no result....

I apologise for the repeated failures, probably something I'm doing, your continued assistance would be greatly appreciated....

You need to copy the ffmpeg.exe file into the opt/bin folder (not a subfolder).
20-06-2016, 20:44
(20-06-2016 18:57)Atherton Wrote:  Do I need ffmpeg installed to transcode Flac to Wav?

No, you don't. That works natively in MinimStreamer. Assuming that your network is OK with it (your Naim player will be), I suggest that the setting should be flac:wav24. This does, in my experience, give some sound quality benefit.

David
20-06-2016, 20:59
David....Success!!! - I now have opt/bin/ffmpeg appearing in the stream.converter field. I added *:L16 to the streamer.trascode input, per User Guide, and I can succesfully stream the BBC radio stations in the .m3u file.

For transcoding music files on my PC, do I now just append this field with FLAC:WAV24 separated by a comma, eg:
*:L16, FLAC:WAV24