Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
05-07-2020, 19:08
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
See this post and subsequent discussion. It seems we are repeating an earlier conversation. The sound is clearer and more natural.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2020, 19:16
Hi Simon. I was not attempting to repeat the earlier conversation between you and me. Rather, I was hoping to obtain another perspective on the modding process and the resulting impact on the sound. Modding a Melco in this fashion is large financial undertaking (~ $460 USD), and it will cause me to lose 2TB in future storage space. Also, as I am not particularly electronically inclined, I am somewhat gun shy about performing the mod. Hence, I am interested in additional perspectives before I take the plunge. Thanks.

Melco HA-N1ZH60 Mk1 (MinimServer 2) --> network --> AURALiC ARIES G2 --> Lightning Link (WWPS7 hdmi) --> AURALiC VEGA G2 with AURALiC LEO GX Master Clock --> XLR --> Mark Levinson No. 523 --> RCA --> JL Audio E-Sub e110 (active crossover @ 100 Hz) --> RCA --> Bryston 4B3 (Cubed) --> Magnepan .7
05-07-2020, 19:57
Apologies for misunderstanding your post. I hope others who have done the same mod will be able to help answer your questions.
09-08-2020, 06:04 (This post was last modified: 09-08-2020 06:33 by maikeru.)
Hello Simon,

I've finally gotten ahold of my own Melco N1A.

Installed Minimserver 2 and logged in to my paid service..
Successfully installed Minimstreamer-2.0.3 and ffmpeg-4.1-melco-2.0

But when playing FLAC it doesn't always convert to WAV24 (it does for some, not others, I am unsure what the difference might be).

Setting: Flac:wav24 in stream.transcode

Ideas? Many thanks.

(05-07-2020 10:17)maikeru Wrote:  
(05-07-2020 09:10)simoncn Wrote:  To install and run MinimStreamer, you need to activate the free 30-day trial.

That fixed it thank you very much. BTW the N1A with SSD makes a lovely and noticeable change in my system. Bravo to Melco. I was a bit crestfallen with the S100 but this is a significant change.

I have yet to use the S100 in tandem with the N1A as I wanted a benchmark to my normal listening pattern. I wonder if the S100 might play nicer with the N1A in the system.

Note - I have been using the N1A as a 'dumb' NAS in my testing. If I were to connect my Lumin direct to the N1A (using the player out LAN) would the N1A be acting as a switch? or would it process any of the music before it reaches the Lumin? I'd prefer the former rather than the latter.
09-08-2020, 08:50
When it doesn't convert to wav24, does it convert to something else or not convert at all?
09-08-2020, 09:06
either it converts to WAV or it does nothing (shows as FLAC)

It is album dependent and evidently random. works find with my Synology minimserver/streamer setup.
09-08-2020, 09:31
I doubt that it is random. Which control point are you using? If it is the LUMIN app, you need to reload the MinimServer library after changing MinimServer transcoding settings. Other control points might also need refreshing. This is because the transcoding setting is part of the stream URL that the server sends to the control point.
09-08-2020, 13:18
Using LUMIN. But I think your advice solved it. Apologies, I had latent new music being added to disc and I think I should have waited and re-loaded/rescanned only after that.

New question:

What is the best connection mapping:

1) Internet from wall--->switch; switch connects to 'everything' (i.e. both player and LUMIN, plus other things like Apple TV etc etc) or:

2) Internet from wall--->switch--->[many things such as Apple TV etc but also Melco] then direct from Melco to LUMIN using the MELCO 'player out'? - I'm guessing this will be superior sonically, but outside of the question of quality playback of stored music, will TIDAL (and SMB disc access) still work?
09-08-2020, 13:31
2) should be better and should work just like 1).
12-08-2020, 00:44
Thank you, again! Works beautifully. Next up:

DELA/MELCO - do you use the backup and/or expansion ports?

Will using them degrade performance, introduce noise?

If no, do you recommend using a Crucial MX500 (inside an external case?) for the expansion?