Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
28-06-2018, 15:29
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(27-06-2018 21:50)Gandharva Wrote:  On another Melco thread, I mentioned the use of a travel router to control the Melco. This is something Alan Ainsley mentioned, but did not go into detail about, at a recent dealer demonstration I attended.

I thought I'd experiment, and purchased a a TP-Link AC750 Travel Router from Amazon, and it works! This keeps the Melco and my PS Audio DirectStream DAC completely off the Internet and my home router.

For anyone who is interested this is how I configured the router.

First of all I moved the 'mode' switch on the travel router to AP/Rng Ext/Client setting and, using my PC, configured the router to 'Client Mode'. Unplugging the travel router, I connected it by Ethernet cable to the 'Lan' port on the Melco, in place of the Ethernet connection to my home router.

Once the travel router was connected to power and it booted up, I connected to the router from my ipad, started 'Mconnect', the app I use, and the Melco could be controlled as normal.
Please enlighten the uneducated, why would you want to do this? I thought the selling point of the Melco was that it isolated the music output from the general network traffic. What you are implying to me by the use of a travel router is that there is a discernible SQ improvement from isolating the Melco itself from the network. Is this really the case?

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2018, 18:07
Melco has a 'Player Direct' mode, which completely isolates the unit from your home network. The difficulty with this is that music selection has to be by using the front panel buttons, and a music app cannot be used.

The use of a travel router, which allows the use of a control app, was recommended by Alan Ainsley, from Melco, as having sonic benefits over a home network connected device.

When trying the travel router method there was a small, but noticeable, improvement in sound quality.
01-07-2018, 20:22
(01-07-2018 18:07)Gandharva Wrote:  Melco has a 'Player Direct' mode, which completely isolates the unit from your home network. The difficulty with this is that music selection has to be by using the front panel buttons, and a music app cannot be used.

The use of a travel router, which allows the use of a control app, was recommended by Alan Ainsley, from Melco, as having sonic benefits over a home network connected device.

When trying the travel router method there was a small, but noticeable, improvement in sound quality.

Thanks for that.

Melco N1ZH/2 (updated to EX) MinimServer2, Chord M Scaler, DAVE, SPM1200MKII, Wilson Benesch Vectors
01-07-2018, 21:48
(01-07-2018 20:22)beckphotonik Wrote:  
(01-07-2018 18:07)Gandharva Wrote:  Melco has a 'Player Direct' mode, which completely isolates the unit from your home network. The difficulty with this is that music selection has to be by using the front panel buttons, and a music app cannot be used.

Thanks for that.
01-07-2018, 21:51
Hi, if instructions are posted elsewhere please let me know but can someone please provide step by step instructions to install FFMPEG on an Melco N1A. I've been on the FFMPEG website and there are so many options the i don't really know which one to choose. I'll be installing via a Apple MacBook.

Thanks in anticipation, Mike.
01-07-2018, 21:55
See the last paragraph of this section.
01-07-2018, 22:44
Thanks, will let you know if I still have problems. regards, Mike.
01-07-2018, 23:03
Hi Simon, I downloaded that file and "unpacked" to a file called "ffmpeg-release-armhf-32bit-static.tar.xz.cpgz" and copied it to my opt/bin directory. I then power cycled the N1 and when I updated to add "aiff:wav24" it came up with an error message saying it "required a converter". I'm sure I'm doing something daft - any advice?

Thanks,

Mike.
02-07-2018, 15:10
The downloaded file is an archive and you need to extract the ffmpeg file from the archive and copy the ffmpeg file (only) to the opt/bin directory.
02-07-2018, 17:32
Hi Simon, many thanks. I was getting confused because it was unpacking to another directory on my MAC, when archives normally (in my limited experience) unpack to the same directory. Anyway, I found the ffmpeg file, moved it to opt/bin and it appears to be working perfectly! Regards, Mike.