Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
28-02-2018, 10:31
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
Hi Peter
I have Raid 0 on my N1/A. I think I find it better, but not day and night. I don't really understand the reasons why either should sound different given the relatively slow read speeds involved. But it is all a black art.
Yes I too rip (dbPoweramp) to an external hard drive on my Mac using a Mac plug-in CD reader
Then tidy up with Tag Editor,
Then use a backup routine via rsync on Automator - copying just the new or changed files - to my Melco
(rsync -av --progress "/Volumes/MLP3Tb/MAIN/" "/Volumes/share/MAIN")

It is easier that way.

Have fun
Donuk, still snowy downtown York
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-03-2018, 16:30
I've just installed my new Melco N1ZH/2. All music is copied, Minimserver (that I also used before on my Synology NAS) is installed, Minimstreamer is installed, ffmpeg is installed, all works fine.

Works like a charm. The only thing I noticed is that in the instructions page it says:

"In version 3.50 (and below) of the Melco firmware, the N1 front panel doesn't show the details of music files that are being streamed by MinimServer. This has been fixed in the 3.72 firmware."

I'm running 3.73b Firmware and I don't see that happening. I can somehow understand that given that 3.73b is a replacement for 3.71b and 3.72 was a replacement for 3.70 so there is some crossings going on there. What's the best thing to do, wait for a new 3.74 (or something like that), or install 3.72?
16-03-2018, 22:19
The streaming details should be shown on 3.73B as well as on 3.72. I am away from home so can't check right now.
14-06-2018, 10:44
(28-02-2018 10:31)Donuk Wrote:  Hi Peter
I have Raid 0 on my N1/A. I think I find it better, but not day and night. I don't really understand the reasons why either should sound different given the relatively slow read speeds involved.

Have you tried RAID1 ?
14-06-2018, 11:53
(14-06-2018 10:44)ofrex Wrote:  
I have Raid 0 on my N1/A. I think I find it better, but not day and night. I don't really understand the reasons why either should sound different given the relatively slow read speeds involved.

Have you tried RAID1 ?

No, is it better?
But of course Raid 1 halves the storage capacity.
And I understand the Melco people suggest Raid 0.

Donuk sunny downtown York
14-06-2018, 12:32
(14-06-2018 11:53)Donuk Wrote:  
(14-06-2018 10:44)ofrex Wrote:  

Have you tried RAID1 ?

No, is it better?
But of course Raid 1 halves the storage capacity.
And I understand the Melco people suggest Raid 0.

Donuk sunny downtown York
14-06-2018, 12:44
Hello Peter,

RAID0 is certainly the recommendation - hard to be precise as to the real reasons but data rate from each HDD being halved is a key part of it for sure.

RAID1 is pointless in my view as unless a damaged HDD stops the machine, there will be resync of the errors across both drives so nothing is gained. Many think RAID1 is a poor mans backup - it is certainly not!! Backup is easy and necessary of course.

There are only two types of HDD, and I do not mean HDD vs SSD - I mean those that are broken and those that are about to break. Be warned.

We do have V3.80 FW and I strongly recommend updating as that in itself brings nice SQ improvement. There are release notes on the Melco web site but lots of good stuff in there.

Other SQ improvements come from selecting DARK MODE as Don has done - does not just turn off the lights but disables a whole UI processor - and also to turn off SMB share. Remember to turn it on again to move music around though!

Enjoy the music!

Alan
14-06-2018, 20:45
Thanks Alan

Just checked and I am using Spanned. At some point I'll change to Raid 0 and recopy the music from my QNAP - about 15 hours as I recollect.

I am running 3.80 with Dark Mode - a good improvement. I also reformatted the disks using 3.80 - may have brought some improvement but certainly was no worse - hard to go back and forward :-)

I thought Spanned was the default and set it to that when I did the 3.80 reformat. Its easy to change just takes a while to reload the music.

I love these free upgrades Big Grin
14-06-2018, 21:01
I am using spanned, based on the theory that it is better to have only one disk active while reading a file rather than having both of them active. I haven't done a comparative listening test.
27-06-2018, 21:50
On another Melco thread, I mentioned the use of a travel router to control the Melco. This is something Alan Ainsley mentioned, but did not go into detail about, at a recent dealer demonstration I attended.

I thought I'd experiment, and purchased a a TP-Link AC750 Travel Router from Amazon, and it works! This keeps the Melco and my PS Audio DirectStream DAC completely off the Internet and my home router.

For anyone who is interested this is how I configured the router.

First of all I moved the 'mode' switch on the travel router to AP/Rng Ext/Client setting and, using my PC, configured the router to 'Client Mode'. Unplugging the travel router, I connected it by Ethernet cable to the 'Lan' port on the Melco, in place of the Ethernet connection to my home router.

Once the travel router was connected to power and it booted up, I connected to the router from my ipad, started 'Mconnect', the app I use, and the Melco could be controlled as normal.