Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Melco Audiophile NAS
15-04-2015, 22:44
RE: Melco Audiophile NAS
(15-04-2015 22:05)Peter@57m Wrote:  
(15-04-2015 21:05)Mihaylov Wrote:  Peter, I meant to set LAN in the Manual mode (see attached screenshot from Melco's user manual).

Thank you Mihaylov. Now keeps playing with LAN cable unplugged. Will do some listening tomorrow and report back but first take is its better with the cable unplugged.
I think differences can't be in Manual mode (for LAN settings) and perhaps there is a difference in Automatic mode/plugged vs. Manual mode/unplugged or plugged.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2015, 18:39
(15-04-2015 22:05)Peter@57m Wrote:  Thank you Mihaylov. Now keeps playing with LAN cable unplugged. Will do some listening tomorrow and report back but first take is its better with the cable unplugged.

Will be like a CD player again, getting up to plug and unplug the cable for each album....

I am getting the same results. I think the slight improvement in sound quality with the network cable unplugged can also be achieved by leaving the cable connected and closing the control point. This should stop most network traffic across this cable connection.
02-06-2015, 19:10
Hello peeps, just wanted to ask about gapless playback. I have an N1A with Minimserver beta on connected via USB to a Devialet 200. I find a slight playback gap - perhaps 0.1secs between tracks. Is this to be expected/known issue? It's really not a big issue for me but just wanted to check.
02-06-2015, 20:15
Not hearing this issue. Just played DSotM with no gaps.

Running Melco N1A with MinimServer transcoding flac to Wav24 connected to KDSM via player Ethernet socket. Not tried connecting anything via the USB socket.

MinimServer 0.8.3 update 65
MinimStreamer 0.5.12

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
02-06-2015, 20:28
(02-06-2015 19:10)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  Hello peeps, just wanted to ask about gapless playback. I have an N1A with Minimserver beta on connected via USB to a Devialet 200. I find a slight playback gap - perhaps 0.1secs between tracks. Is this to be expected/known issue? It's really not a big issue for me but just wanted to check.

This is a known issue in the Melco firmware when using USB playback. I have been told they are planning to fix it in a future release.
03-06-2015, 21:05
(02-06-2015 20:28)simoncn Wrote:  
(02-06-2015 19:10)Rufus McDufus Wrote:  Hello peeps, just wanted to ask about gapless playback. I have an N1A with Minimserver beta on connected via USB to a Devialet 200. I find a slight playback gap - perhaps 0.1secs between tracks. Is this to be expected/known issue? It's really not a big issue for me but just wanted to check.

This is a known issue in the Melco firmware when using USB playback. I have been told they are planning to fix it in a future release.

Cool - thanks!
24-06-2015, 11:21
(07-04-2015 22:18)simoncn Wrote:  
(07-04-2015 21:59)Peter@57m Wrote:  I have a 10m run of Supra Cat7 cable from my NetGear GS108 switch to my Melco and then a 1m run of Melco ethernet cable to my KDSM/1.

When I did the comparison I used the RLI/1 at the KDSM/1 end of the 10m Supra cat7 cable. So the Melco was not used in that connection.

But as you say we have different networks......

Over the last few weeks, I have tried many different combinations of switches, isolators, cables and the Melco (in both "pass-through" and "server" modes). At each stage, I have made one change, compared the results and chosen the one I preferred.

I think it would now be helpful for me to go back a few steps, try some "typical" combinations and post the results. I will try to do this in the next few days.

I have been following this thread with great interest and am very interested in your findings. Cheers.
08-07-2015, 13:36
Simon

I thought I would try playing a couple of dsf files as minimstreamer is installed on the melco. Obviously not au fait with this but have tried to check the instructions and everything seems OK. Minim server is showing the file and the info on Kazoo indicates it as a WAV file which I assume is because it will be transcoded. So seems fine except all I can hear is silence. It is a beautiful quality silence of course Big Grin but not a sound. I am using a 2 channel dsf sample from the Oppo site. I have tried a couple actually on 2 different DS but still no joy?

This is the only relevant setting I think in stream.transcode

dsf:dopwav, dff:dopwav

Guess I am being dumb but nothing new there? Can you point me at the silliness?
08-07-2015, 14:15 (This post was last modified: 08-07-2015 14:20 by Mihaylov.)
Perhaps because Melco plays transcoding DSD->PCM only through USB. Big Grin
08-07-2015, 14:15
(08-07-2015 13:36)Martin H Wrote:  Simon

I thought I would try playing a couple of dsf files as minimstreamer is installed on the melco. Obviously not au fait with this but have tried to check the instructions and everything seems OK. Minim server is showing the file and the info on Kazoo indicates it as a WAV file which I assume is because it will be transcoded. So seems fine except all I can hear is silence. It is a beautiful quality silence of course Big Grin but not a sound. I am using a 2 channel dsf sample from the Oppo site. I have tried a couple actually on 2 different DS but still no joy?

This is the only relevant setting I think in stream.transcode

dsf:dopwav, dff:dopwav

Guess I am being dumb but nothing new there? Can you point me at the silliness?

Are you using a Linn DS as a renderer? This doesn't support DSD playback, so it will interpret the transcoded DoP/WAV stream as if it were a WAV stream. If you listen carefully, you should hear a very faint sound.

To make this work, you need to use a DSD-capable renderer that understands DoP/WAV streams.