Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Settings to record a radio programme
22-07-2014, 17:27 (This post was last modified: 22-07-2014 17:27 by simoncn.)
RE: Settings to record a radio programme
(22-07-2014 14:19)Michael Kay Wrote:  I tried saving the log file as displayed to my Mac desktop, but nothing happened. Surely the recording isn't the log file?

Not sure where the recording is or how I can play it?

The recording has been saved on the Synology. To find it, use File Station to open the MinimServer share and navigate to the appData/rec folder. You should see a .aac file in the rec folder.

Quote:Also when I tapped on either of the 2 playlists that have appeared on the iPad before I made the recording for the Radio 3 (under playlists), although both of them are there as you suggest, neither of them cause it to start playing ...... (if they were supposed to).

They are supposed to play but some renderers have trouble doing this.

For a Naim renderer, the first stream (with [R3] in its name) should play if you do both of the following:

1) Enable UPnP compatibility in n-stream
2) Set the stream.transcode property in MinimServer to *:wav

After making these changes, clear the n-stream cache and restart MinimServer.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-07-2014, 18:15
(22-07-2014 17:27)simoncn Wrote:  
(22-07-2014 14:19)Michael Kay Wrote:  I tried saving the log file as displayed to my Mac desktop, but nothing happened. Surely the recording isn't the log file?

Not sure where the recording is or how I can play it?

The recording has been saved on the Synology. To find it, use File Station to open the MinimServer share and navigate to the appData/rec folder. You should see a .aac file in the rec folder.

Quote:Also when I tapped on either of the 2 playlists that have appeared on the iPad before I made the recording for the Radio 3 (under playlists), although both of them are there as you suggest, neither of them cause it to start playing ...... (if they were supposed to).

They are supposed to play but some renderers have trouble doing this.

For a Naim renderer, the first stream (with [R3] in its name) should play if you do both of the following:

1) Enable UPnP compatibility in n-stream
2) Set the stream.transcode property in MinimServer to *:wav

After making these changes, clear the n-stream cache and restart MinimServer.

Hello Simon,

Many thanks for this. The files were where you said they would be. Ones I would intend to keep I will open in Audacity, edit out the spare, convert to FLAC and then put in one of my other audio folders on the NAS to play as required. As far as the other issue with listening the stream I might as well just use the iRadio function on the Naim and play them from that, but many thanks again for sorting me out with this. It is a feature which I can see myself using a lot, especially during the Proms!

Is it worth deleting the various .mcache files from the MinimServer appData folder every so often too?

Kind regards,

Michael

PS I will send you another donation for your help!!
22-07-2014, 18:56
(22-07-2014 18:15)Michael Kay Wrote:  Hello Simon,

Many thanks for this. The files were where you said they would be. Ones I would intend to keep I will open in Audacity, edit out the spare, convert to FLAC and then put in one of my other audio folders on the NAS to play as required. As far as the other issue with listening the stream I might as well just use the iRadio function on the Naim and play them from that, but many thanks again for sorting me out with this. It is a feature which I can see myself using a lot, especially during the Proms!

I'm glad to hear this is working for you.

Quote:Is it worth deleting the various .mcache files from the MinimServer appData folder every so often too?

These files are used to reduce the time it takes MinimServer to start/restart/rescan, so it's not a good idea to delete them.

Quote:PS I will send you another donation for your help!!

Thanks very much!
24-02-2015, 13:58 (This post was last modified: 24-02-2015 14:02 by davids.)
[Seven months later but I thought it would be a better to make this useful thread current, rather than starting a new one]

Having set up a MinimRadio (Naim variation) to play the new BBC streams on my mu-so, I thought I'd try recording Bach Before 7 on R3 Breakfast in case I'm not up early enough :roll eyes: and it worked like a charm. Hint: on Mac OS X Yosemite, the log and recordings are hidden away in /Users/yourusername/Library/MinimServer/rec. You can find this from the Finder by holding down Alt in the Go menu and choosing Library, then opening the MinimServer folder. The recordings are in the /rec/ folder. I've added this to my contentDir list which makes it appear in [folder view] in the Naim app. So now (12:40pm) I'm happily listening to R3 Breakfast...

As Simon points out in this thread, a MinimServer rescan (which I used to make this morning's recording visible) clears the stream.record setting, making the ability to record the same programme every day by appending * less useful (e.g. R3+0630-0730*).

Maybe too nerdy for some ;-) but having a personal "listen again" system seems rather attractive.

Am I imagining it or do the new HLS streams sound better?
24-02-2015, 18:54
(24-02-2015 13:58)davids Wrote:  [Seven months later but I thought it would be a better to make this useful thread current, rather than starting a new one]

Having set up a MinimRadio (Naim variation) to play the new BBC streams on my mu-so, I thought I'd try recording Bach Before 7 on R3 Breakfast in case I'm not up early enough :roll eyes: and it worked like a charm. Hint: on Mac OS X Yosemite, the log and recordings are hidden away in /Users/yourusername/Library/MinimServer/rec. You can find this from the Finder by holding down Alt in the Go menu and choosing Library, then opening the MinimServer folder. The recordings are in the /rec/ folder. I've added this to my contentDir list which makes it appear in [folder view] in the Naim app. So now (12:40pm) I'm happily listening to R3 Breakfast...

As Simon points out in this thread, a MinimServer rescan (which I used to make this morning's recording visible) clears the stream.record setting, making the ability to record the same programme every day by appending * less useful (e.g. R3+0630-0730*).

Maybe too nerdy for some ;-) but having a personal "listen again" system seems rather attractive.

Am I imagining it or do the new HLS streams sound better?

Thanks for this feedback. I will investigate whether it is possible to make the stream.record setting survive a MinimServer restart.

I haven't noticed any difference between the Radio 3 320 kbps HLS stream and the 320 kbps AAC stream. For the other stations, I would expect some improvement from HLS 320 kbps.
25-02-2015, 18:50
(24-02-2015 13:58)davids Wrote:  As Simon points out in this thread, a MinimServer rescan (which I used to make this morning's recording visible) clears the stream.record setting, making the ability to record the same programme every day by appending * less useful (e.g. R3+0630-0730*).

The new 0.5.4 version of MinimStreamer doesn't clear the stream.record property when you restart MinimServer, so your future recording schedule won't be lost. If a recording is currently in progress, it will be interrupted for a few seconds and broken into two separate files. This isn't ideal and I will think about possible ways to fix this.
26-02-2015, 00:14
(25-02-2015 18:50)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-02-2015 13:58)davids Wrote:  As Simon points out in this thread, a MinimServer rescan (which I used to make this morning's recording visible) clears the stream.record setting, making the ability to record the same programme every day by appending * less useful (e.g. R3+0630-0730*).

The new 0.5.4 version of MinimStreamer doesn't clear the stream.record property when you restart MinimServer, so your future recording schedule won't be lost. If a recording is currently in progress, it will be interrupted for a few seconds and broken into two separate files. This isn't ideal and I will think about possible ways to fix this.

Thank you very much for the quick response. I updated MinimStreamer and restarted, expecting it not to start preserving the setting until after the first restart ... but it did:

Wed Feb 25 06:30:00 MinimStreamer: started recording task R3+0630-0730*
Wed Feb 25 07:30:00 MinimStreamer: stopped recording task R3+0630-0730*
^^^ This morning's recording
Wed Feb 25 13:06:49 restarting MinimServer[iMac.local]
^^^ Rescan to publish this morning's recording
Wed Feb 25 13:06:49 MinimStreamer: cancelled recording task R3+0630-0730*
Wed Feb 25 13:06:49 MinimStreamer: removed recording task R3+0630-0730*
Wed Feb 25 13:06:49 Language setting is 'eng'
Wed Feb 25 13:06:49 starting MinimServer[iMac.local]
Wed Feb 25 13:07:25 MinimServer[iMac.local] is running
Wed Feb 25 13:08:07 MinimStreamer: scheduled recording task R3+0630-0730*
^^^ stream.record setting that I re-entered manually after the rescan
Wed Feb 25 22:54:28 stopping MinimServer[iMac.local]
^^^ Default restart after applying the MinimStreamer upgrade to 0.5.4.
Wed Feb 25 22:54:28 MinimStreamer: cancelled recording task R3+0630-0730*
Wed Feb 25 22:54:28 MinimStreamer: removed recording task R3+0630-0730*
Wed Feb 25 22:54:28 MinimServer[iMac.local] is stopped
Wed Feb 25 22:54:29 MinimServer 0.8.3 update 59, Copyright © 2012-2014 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Wed Feb 25 22:54:29 MinimStreamer 0.5.4, Copyright © 2012-2015 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Wed Feb 25 22:54:29 Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_31-b13)
Wed Feb 25 22:54:29 Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.31-b07, mixed mode)
Wed Feb 25 22:54:29 Platform default charset is UTF-8
Wed Feb 25 22:54:31 Language setting is 'eng'
Wed Feb 25 22:54:31 starting MinimServer[iMac.local]
Wed Feb 25 22:55:15 MinimStreamer: scheduled recording task R3+0630-0730*
^^^ stream.record setting preserved automatically across the restart
Wed Feb 25 22:55:16 MinimServer[iMac.local] is running
Wed Feb 25 22:55:16 Startup complete

That's really cool black magic :-)

Thanks again
01-10-2015, 22:38
(25-02-2015 18:50)simoncn Wrote:  The new 0.5.4 version of MinimStreamer doesn't clear the stream.record property when you restart MinimServer, so your future recording schedule won't be lost. If a recording is currently in progress, it will be interrupted for a few seconds and broken into two separate files. This isn't ideal and I will think about possible ways to fix this.

This problem of interrupted recordings is now fixed in MinimStreamer 0.5.14.