MinimServer Forum
Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver (/showthread.php?tid=5829)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - simoncn - 19-09-2020 21:41

Thanks for uploading this file. I have looked at it and I have found a possible explanation for the problem.

Do you use MediaMonkey to edit the tags in your files? There was a change in MediaMonkey 4.1.16 to remove ID3 tags from WAV files by changing the ID3 chunk to a JUNK chunk to prevent it from being read by other software (see this page). In the file you sent, the ID3 chunk data is present but the chunk has been changed to a JUNK chunk. If you are using (or have used) MediaMonkey on your files, I am confident that this is the cause of the problem.

There is an option in the MediaMonkey ini file to stop MediaMonkey removing ID3 tags but I doubt that setting this option will get back the ID3 tag data that has already been "junked" by MediaMonkey.

You should be able to recreate the ID3 tag data by running the files through dBpoweramp Music Converter and doing a WAV to WAV conversion. This will not change your audio data, just fix the tagging problem by recreating the ID3 tags. After you have done this conversion, the files should work as exprected in MinimServer. I suggest you try this first on a single album to make sure the conversion process is working correctly.

If you want to continue to use MediaMonkey to edit tags in your files after you have recreated the ID3 tags, you will need to use the MediaMonkey ini file setting that is mentioned on the page linked above:
[WAVTagging]
RemoveID3Tag=0

Alternatively (and safer), you could use a different tag editor (such as dBpoweramp or Mp3tag) that does not deliberately destroy tag data that it finds in your files. Sad

This is working for you in Asset UPnP because Asset UPnP is able to read LIST tags as well as ID3 tags, so Asset UPnP finds and reads the LIST tags that MediaMonkey has left in your files. Because of this problem with MediaMonkey, I will look into adding support in MinimServer for reading LIST tags but this is not likely to happen in the immediate future.

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - JohnE - 21-09-2020 08:11

Thanks for your reply simoncn. I have only used dBpoweramp for ripping these files with the exception of a some older files (older CD's) using wmp12. I did try Media Monkey but it was removed before trying Minimserver. I'll try your suggestion of wave to wave conversion. Interestingly wmp12 has the same issues since Win7 to Win10 computer change but I thought I still had wmp11 on the win 7 computer when there were no problems. I'll try reloading media monkey and trying the option.

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - simoncn - 21-09-2020 09:32

When you used (tried) MediaMonkey, it permanently damaged your files. Removing MediaMonkey would not have repaired this damage. Unless you really need MediaMonkey for some reason, I don't recommend installing it again.

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - JohnE - 23-09-2020 07:48

Fortunately I have two separate music only backup ups. I set up another small library with files not "contaminated" by MediaMonkey. Result was that files open and play on TV but although the tree shows up on GUI for Yamaha with the library items correctly, at the final stage of opening to play the track or title the message "CONNECT ERROR" appears and it will not play. Restarted everything -no change. Conclusion from this is that the server and Yamaha are not compatible. The Yamaha receiver is 12 yrs old. Yamaha don't provide very good support for the Oceania (and I think European) model and there has been only one firmware upgrade here. USA would appear to be different. My guess is that a firmware modification is required. When I purchased this receiver there was little interest in audio servers here and I even had trouble with the Yamaha technicians pursuing an issue with the internet radio. Thanks for your persistent help.

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - simoncn - 23-09-2020 09:42

I am happy to investigate the CONNECT ERROR message. For this I will need to see a Trace log. You need to enable Trace before you select the track and attempt to play it and save the log after the CONNECT ERROR message has been displayed. You only need to select and play one track.

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - JohnE - 24-09-2020 01:30

(23-09-2020 09:42)simoncn Wrote:  I am happy to investigate the CONNECT ERROR message. For this I will need to see a Trace log. You need to enable Trace before you select the track and attempt to play it and save the log after the CONNECT ERROR message has been displayed. You only need to select and play one track.

Thanks for your offer. 7zip Trace file attached.
[attachment=1999]

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - simoncn - 24-09-2020 09:14

Thanks for this. I see what looks like a number of attempts by the control point to play the track "i Andante-Allegro conanima" from the album "Tchaikovsky Symph#5". Is this the track you were trying to play?

There is no request from the renderer to start streaming this track and I think the problem is caused by the control point or renderer not being able to handle the resource URI format that MinimServer is using. The URI for this track is quite long and contains some asterisk (*) characters. It is a valid URI and most control points and renderers don't have any issues with it but it looks like it isn't compatible with your Yamaha receiver, as you said.

Asset UPnP uses a different URI format (shorter and with no asterisk characters) and it seems this is the most practical solution for your situation.

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - JohnE - 25-09-2020 02:57

That was the track. Disappointing but so be it. Truly excellent support never-the-less. Thank you for your persistence.
Best Regards

RE: Will not open/play using Yamaha Rx-v3800 network receiver - bubbleguuum - 29-09-2020 14:55

(24-09-2020 09:14)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this. I see what looks like a number of attempts by the control point to play the track "i Andante-Allegro conanima" from the album "Tchaikovsky Symph#5". Is this the track you were trying to play?

There is no request from the renderer to start streaming this track and I think the problem is caused by the control point or renderer not being able to handle the resource URI format that MinimServer is using. The URI for this track is quite long and contains some asterisk (*) characters. It is a valid URI and most control points and renderers don't have any issues with it but it looks like it isn't compatible with your Yamaha receiver, as you said.

Asset UPnP uses a different URI format (shorter and with no asterisk characters) and it seems this is the most practical solution for your situation.

Making a LAN proxy of MinimSever with BubbleUPnP Server can also overcome this, as BubbleUPnP Server generates URLs that should be universally compatible (short, simple, only alphanums characters, no query parameters, always a file extension).