MinimServer Forum
Play order of music files - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: MinimServer 2 (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Play order of music files (/showthread.php?tid=5797)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Play order of music files - GuardDog.2020 - 14-09-2020 01:59

Thanks for the reply, Simon.

1. Nearly all albums in my music library already have Tracknumber Tags (including the Classical Music), so Option#1 is already pursued. With music browsers that I use in Windows, Tracknumber Tags display and sort properly. As such, when I "click" on headers of Tracknumber columns in playlists, listed songs (files) instantly sort in ascending order by their Tracknumber Tags (and all is well).

For some reason, with iOS on iPhone, Tracknumber Tags aren't properly recognized. Instead, songs sort alphabetically by Title Tags. Even though adding Tracknumber Tags is normally an excellent suggestion (best practice), in view of the way iPhone handles Tracknumber Tags, it doesn't solve the problem. Maybe Apple built-in this frustration to help keep people loyal to the iTunes platform? I don't know...

2. Option#2 looks like the way to go. It seems likely to properly sequence songs on the iPhone, while not having any consequential impact on the Windows playing experience. I'll experiment with this option and see how it goes!

Thanks for your quick reply to my question. Other than this minor struggle with song sequencing, I really like Minim 2.0. It's the fastest DLNA server (i.e., click-to-response-time) on the Windows platform that I've discovered. It really improves my enjoyment of the listening experience.

RE: Play order of music files - simoncn - 14-09-2020 08:05

(14-09-2020 01:59)GuardDog.2020 Wrote:  For some reason, with iOS on iPhone, Tracknumber Tags aren't properly recognized. Instead, songs sort alphabetically by Title Tags. Even though adding Tracknumber Tags is normally an excellent suggestion (best practice), in view of the way iPhone handles Tracknumber Tags, it doesn't solve the problem. Maybe Apple built-in this frustration to help keep people loyal to the iTunes platform? I don't know...

How does this relate to MinimServer? Are you using a UPnP control point on iOS to browse and play a MinimServer library? If not, my suggestion #1 should work as it would fix the problem for all cases where MinimServer is being used without causing any issues for cases where MinimServer is not being used.

To be clear, ny suggestion #1 was to have a correct trackNumber tag as well as a filename that sorts correctly alphabetically. This way, the sort order will be correct for a UPnP control point that uses MinimServer and also for a music player that sorts by filenames. What scenario is not covered by this?

Edit: Are your track number tags named TRACKNUMBER? If they are named something else (for example, TRACK), this would explain the problem you are seeing.

RE: Play order of music files - Alandbush - 14-09-2020 23:35

The EverMusic Pro iOS app does indeed appear to ignore any TrackNumber tag value. An example of an iOS app that does use TrackNumber, try mconnect player lite, MusicLife or C5 Stream DLNA Cast player.

However, option #2, as suggested, is the way to go if you prefer the EverMusic Pro app.

RE: Play order of music files - simoncn - 15-09-2020 17:55

I think I understand this now. The OP is using a UPnP control point for iOS that ignores the sort order of a list of tracks that the server is sending (this is what I was missing previously) and re-sorts the list of tracks based on the Title tag value.

So MinimServer is reading TRACKNUMBER tags (which are present and correct) and is using these to sort the tracks correctly when sending the list of tracks to the control point. When the control point gets the correctly sorted list, it changes the list order using Title tags, which puts the tracks in the wrong order.

If the above is correct, option #2 is the only solution for this control point.