MinimServer Forum
Minimserver not finding new music on Linux System - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Minimserver not finding new music on Linux System (/showthread.php?tid=5155)

Minimserver not finding new music on Linux System - Bernard - 03-01-2019 00:49

I'm posting about a solved problem, mainly to help others that may get frustrated by this issue, and partly as a future feature request.

Context
I run Minimserver on a lightweight PC running Kubuntu (Ubuntu OS with KDE window manager), on which I also manage the audio file ripping and tagging.

Problem
None of the audio files I ripped and added to my collection in the last few days were getting detected by automatic or forced rescans of MinimServer. It was as if those files didn't even exist.

Causes
After an extensive troubleshooting process (logging system is very helpful), I've positively identified that the cause of MinimServer ignoring these files was that these files had no file extension. This may surprise exclusive-Windows users, but GNU Linux systems tend to be ambivalent about file extensions. It certainly took me a long time to notice that the FLAC files giving me trouble were named "This Song Don't Work", compared to others named "This Song Works Fine.flac".

The reason this started to become an issue for me in the last few days was that I've recently moved from the fantastic Kid3 tagger to the more powerful puddletag. Kid3 preserves extensions, while puddletag lets you blow them away easily. That is, I used to have file extensions, but didn't really pay attention; then I didn't, and so didn't really notice the change.

Let this post be a warning to others.

Feature Requests
Firstly, I think the "Audio files" and/or "File scanning" sections on the "Your music library" page in the User Guide could be more explicit on the need for extensions. That is, files without extensions are ignored.

It's true that the list of "filetypes" are listed as extensions, such as ".flac", which would imply that the extension is needed. But, a FLAC file without an extension is still a FLAC filetype. In any case, I read over this page many times during my troubleshooting before the idea finally occurred to me.

Secondly, I think it would be better for MinimServer to, in the first instance, on *nix platforms, ignore extensions and read filetypes from within the files. There may be other reasons why this is a bad idea, but I just wanted to put it out there. I'm surprised this isn't how it works at the moment. Obviously, this isn't an urgent issue.

RE: Minimserver not finding new music on Linux System - simoncn - 03-01-2019 11:07

I have updated this section of the User guide to change 'filetype' to 'file extension', which should be clearer. Thanks for pointing this out.

Changing the way that files are scanned to first probe them for their audio type before reading them would add complexity to the scanning process and would significantly increase scanning time in some cases because of the need to probe files that are not audio files. For these reasons, I don't have any plans to make this change.

RE: Minimserver not finding new music on Linux System - Bernard - 06-01-2019 10:45

(03-01-2019 11:07)simoncn Wrote:  I have updated this section of the User guide to change 'filetype' to 'file extension', which should be clearer. Thanks for pointing this out.

Changing the way that files are scanned to first probe them for their audio type before reading them would add complexity to the scanning process and would significantly increase scanning time in some cases because of the need to probe files that are not audio files. For these reasons, I don't have any plans to make this change.

Requiring file extensions is actually very reasonable, especially if it keeps things simple and fast. Adding complexity to, and increasing the time of, the scanning process would certainly be a bad outcome. File extensions also make sense for other reasons, like portability of files with other OSs.

Thank you for updating the user guide. The new description is very explicit. I don't expect anyone who reads the guide to make the same mistake I made.

As an aside, thank you for the effort you have invested in MinimServer. It is appreciated.