MinimServer Forum
Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - Printable Version

+- MinimServer Forum (https://forum.minimserver.com)
+-- Forum: MinimServer (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Music Tagging (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Album Artist Sort has me stumped... (/showthread.php?tid=4990)

Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - aspaceintime - 10-08-2018 18:08

I have noticed many inconsistent views of my data when I peek into the album artist sort container. I have uploaded 2 examples along with my settings. I need a nudge in the proper direction so it looks like page 1 of file. Thanks...

RE: Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - simoncn - 10-08-2018 19:45

I don't understand the problem. MinimServer is showing you exactly what you have put in your AlbumArtistSort tags. If this isn't correct, you need to update the tags.

RE: Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - aspaceintime - 10-08-2018 20:05

(10-08-2018 19:45)simoncn Wrote:  I don't understand the problem. MinimServer is showing you exactly what you have put in your AlbumArtistSort tags. If this isn't correct, you need to update the tags.

The Dave Alvin album has correct album AlbumArtist tags, but it's not showing the same info as the Alan Parsons info such as album count, comment and location info, all which have proper values.

RE: Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - simoncn - 10-08-2018 20:15

These differences are normal. MinimServer automatically adjusts the menu choices available after every browsing selection depending on the contents of the selected items. Specifically, you won't see a menu choice for any tagged value that is the same in all files of the current selection. This feature of MinimServer is called Intelligent Browsing and is described in this section.

RE: Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - aspaceintime - 10-08-2018 20:44

(10-08-2018 20:15)simoncn Wrote:  These differences are normal. MinimServer automatically adjusts the menu choices available after every browsing selection depending on the contents of the selected items. Specifically, you won't see a menu choice for any tagged value that is the same in all files of the current selection. This feature of MinimServer is called Intelligent Browsing and is described in this section.

Ok, I was looking for a data problem in my tags and I didn't understand how it worked. Thanks for clarification

RE: Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - aspaceintime - 10-08-2018 21:39

(10-08-2018 20:44)aspaceintime Wrote:  
(10-08-2018 20:15)simoncn Wrote:  These differences are normal. MinimServer automatically adjusts the menu choices available after every browsing selection depending on the contents of the selected items. Specifically, you won't see a menu choice for any tagged value that is the same in all files of the current selection. This feature of MinimServer is called Intelligent Browsing and is described in this section.

Ok, I was looking for a data problem in my tags and I didn't understand how it worked. Thanks for clarification
I'm still a little bit confused. I can look at several records under albumartistsort and I can see results similar to page one of attached. I can also view several records like Dave Alvin and I was expecting to see the same structure once I entered the albumartistsort like page 1. Not sure why I see multiple views of data depending on which album artist I select. I need a better understanding if you can help. I thought I had missing data, but I reviewed many of the items I found and all seems ok.

RE: Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - aspaceintime - 11-08-2018 02:21

Simon, I was looking into my albumartistsort issue a bit more today. As part of my workflow for tagging I add the following to each record; I add a comment to the comment field. Example: Uploaded to NAS on 08/08/18.. I also add a location field to each item so if I ever have to find where the CD is located, I can get to the box and row (35 cds in each row) so I have to look through only 35 instead of hundreds.

As I was troubleshooting my issues this PM, I noticed that if I have only a single album by an artist, I will NOT get the display as in the Alan Parsons example I included today. It only displays the album count, how many items, the location and comment if I have >1 album by that artist.

In addition, if the tag for comment is the same for 2 albums by the same artist, the comment field will not show up. Likewise, if I have 2 albums by the same group in the same location (box and row), the filed for location will not display. I have tested this on several items and it seems to hold true.

Try adding a comment to a couple of your albums using albumartistsort and make the comments identical. See if you get same results....

RE: Album Artist Sort has me stumped... - simoncn - 11-08-2018 20:35

As I said in my previous post, you won't see a menu choice for any tagged value that is the same in all files of the current selection. This means that if all the Comment tag values are identical, you won't see a Comment menu choice. The same applies for identical Location values, etc.

Also, if you have a single album with no menu choices (see above), only that album will be shown.